Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

HOT floor between seats

Maybe I never paid attention but tonight after parking our rv I noticed that the floor between the seats and also just behind the seats is quite hot. Anyone with the E450 V10 chassis noticed this? Any input would be welcome. Thanks
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmjp View Post
Maybe I never paid attention but tonight after parking our rv I noticed that the floor between the seats and also just behind the seats is quite hot. Anyone with the E450 V10 chassis noticed this? Any input would be welcome. Thanks

Don’t have one but guessing - catalytic converter.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

Fair guess. I am going to get under there tomorrow. Thanks
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #4

Hi Bill and Beth,

The E350 and E450 motor home chassis all have a very hot floor between the driver and passenger seats, but mostly noticed around the passenger seat. The hot condition and complaints date back over 20 years. Our 2007 E350 with V10 engine has a hot floor in the cab area. I examined my exhaust system underneath the hot area and there seems to be adequate heat shielding. It leaves me to wonder if the heat from the engine's exhaust manifolds funnel under the floor there, above the heat shield.

The condition is most noticed on motor homes because the thick insulated carpet or rubber surface flooring material that Ford installs in all other E-series, is intentionally deleted from the motor home chassis. This is because motor home manufactures install their own interior-matching "thin" carpet without any kind of backing or insulation.

A rare few motor home owners peel off the thin RV carpet, install a very expensive, high-tech, thin, durable, effective, adhesive backed insulation, then re-glue the RV carpet back down onto that insulation. It is a lot of work which most people just live with the hot floor. Some people cover the RV carpet with a throw rug or similar, cut-out to fit nice, for additional insulation.

I once considered ordering new insulated rubber flooring from my local Ford dealer, for the E350/E450 commercial cut-away chassis, and install it over our thin RV carpet in the cab area.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
EJW

I've noticed the heat in both our E450 Class C's. I have always chalked it up to design especially since the dog house is relatively close. Never noticed anything wrong (but I could certainly be wrong). Sounds like it may be a design issue if insulation is not used by the RV manufacturers.

As an aside - the whole underneath of our coach roasts. In a parking lot this summer, I dropped something and went underneath. I was amazed by the heat especially near the exhaust pipe.

Hope this helps somewhat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

Heat in the passenger floor area is a on going known problem. I removed seats and floor cover and installed a dynamax type heat barrier. Also installed heat shielding between muffler/ exhaust pipe and underside of body. Also at end of day when you park rig open engine hood to allow air to flow out. If that is not enough you can get a wrap to put over muffler and exhaust that runs under passenger side. You need to figure out as you do these things what level of heat you and your wife can live with. Mine did not like that she had to wear shoes st all times or suffer burned feet. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

I bought some auto floor insulation and put it every I could in the floor area it is much better.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

I have the E350 and added extra insulation inside the doghouse. I also used rubber interlocking garage floor mat (from harbor freight) and glued several layers together on the floor for my wife. It not only helped with the heat, it raised the height of the floor for her short legs.
vicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
added some reflect heat insulation under the floor, it is a PIA . you can peal back rub and add some but he metal floor is still gonna fry eggs..

In my older shuttle bus conversion,, It seamed to have a bit more room from wires, tubes, cables inorder to get the insulation under and to baffle the dog coup.. I used some alum flashing in spots , that worked well with some 7-10mm standoff for air space..

Made a huge difference

now in my slightly newer minii winni.. it is prettly well insulated but floor get warm not hot.. I plan on adding some hi temp foil backed stuff here and there ..
the dog coup at the floor get very hot metal parts will almost blister you after pulling a hilliin 90 degree temps.. I hope to make that better,, no bare feet up front in a class c..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #10

Usually 110 or so when we are fleeing the Desert for a weekend in the mountains. Never noticed any floor heat issue, cause everything is hot. Wife did learn not to put her bare feet on the metal dog house latches.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #11

We have heat shields under our E450 motorhome's cab floor that are mounted between the exhaust pipes and the bottom side of the floor. I don't know if Winnebago or Ford installed them.

However, there is an air conditioning mode that helps with any hot cab floor issues that might be irritating when traveling in warm weather: Just run the cab air conditioner with the air flow set to "MIX". This splits the cooled air stream and routes it only out of 1) the windshield vents, and out of 2) the cab floor vents.

Nice cooled air coming out down low onto the cab floor area eliminates any hot floor issues. I don't think many E350/E450 owners know about setting the air conditioner air flow this way.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor