RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

House battery charging while driving

Should the house battery charge while driving?

Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

It gets a trickle charge while driving. If you drive long and far enough, it might fully charge it.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Yes it should charge, and much more the a trickle charge.

4 hours driving would get my house battery up to full charge with the standard class C isolation system.

Start you engine and check house volts. Anything above 13 volts means its working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes it should charge, and much more the a trickle charge.

4 hours driving would get my house battery up to full charge with the standard class C isolation system.

Start you engine and check house volts. Anything above 13 volts means its working.
X's 2 you should get what your engine is putting out. It's not like a trailer being plugged into a tow veh. With that it depends on the wire size. You should have the same size wire going to the batteries, so I would say what ever amps your alternator is putting out you will get the same to your house batteries, but the charge will be limited to what the chassis needs. I think I'm correct...
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X's 2 you should get what your engine is putting out. It's not like a trailer being plugged into a tow veh. With that it depends on the wire size. You should have the same size wire going to the batteries, so I would say what ever amps your alternator is putting out you will get the same to your house batteries, but the charge will be limited to what the chassis needs. I think I'm correct...
Actually, with both batteries paralleled, the higher voltage battery is going to flow current to the lower voltage one. The alternator is going to keep outputting until the whole battery bank equalizes.

When you use jumper cables from one running car to the one with a low battery, you can hear the engine speed change, as the alternator output increases.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Okay thanks, so if my chassis battery is full, the alternator will put out max until the hour batteries are full ? Correct
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Sorry should have been HOUSE
Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Okay thanks, so if my chassis battery is full, the alternator will put out max until the hour batteries are full ? Correct
No, not full output but enough to hold the combined batteries between 13.6 and 14 volts.
As battery voltage rises, the battery resistance rises and the amp intake drops.

I dry camp my way from NY to FL and back, every year, stopping many nights in Federal CGs without hookups, Wal-Marts or Travel Centers.

The only time I run my generator, for battery charging, is when I stay more then one night.
Otherwise, at the end of our 5 to 6 hour travel day, my batteries are charged up and last thru the next night, watching Satellite TV, keeping the phones charged, lights, running the 1 cup Kurig coffee maker 4 to 6 times, and some heat on the chilly nights.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #9

BIRD

Your RV probably has a "BIRD" Module, "Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay":

"It provides a method of charging the coach battery from the engine alternator and charges the chassis battery from the converter when the coach is plugged into shore power."
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the replies. It seems my C was improperly wired from the factory. This is our maiden voyage. I'll rewire it when I get home in about a week. Meanwhile, I'll just run my generator to keep it charged when dry camping.

Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging