Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
Davinger - my 2011 refrig runs on either AC (shore, gen, or inverter) or Propane. We use shore whenever available and Propane when it is not (driving time)
I was told when I got my 2011 Jayco 31FS that propane was no longer an option on coach refrigerators. I was rather upset since I was used to it on my older campers. Yes running the fridge from the inverter will suck the battery dry in short order.

Another solution you could use if you have one handy is to connect your coach to the house via a 15 amp adapter. This will let the fridge run on AC and charge the battery at the same time. You wont want to run much more than that but it will keep your fridge cold.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #16

Davinger - No propane for refer - that is bad news... I depend on propane to keep everything chilled during the 5 to 6 hours i am on the road. Doesn't make sense to run the genny for just the refer. Not that I doubt you.... but think I'll call my dealer and see what he has to say.. will post his response.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
In Florida it is cheaper to run the generator for the roof AC than it is to use the dash AC. I thought it was a load but I tested the theory and I got 2.5MPG better cooling the whole coach.
My fridge runs on the battery or AC. I really wish it would run on the LP. I will usually turn the fridge on battery power using only the coach power switch the afternoon before I go camping to cool it down. If it is cool while driving I will just let the house battery do all the work but if it is hot I run the generator to cool the coach and the fridge is left in automatic mode so if AC is there it will use it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #18

I am in total agreement - use the genny for max A/C. checked on the refer and found that NORCOLD is electric only (120 or 12) dometic still is marketing electric/propane. So I guess it depends on the vendor selection.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #19

larrydp - sorry we wandered off topic - did you get answers to your questions?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
I was told when I got my 2011 Jayco 31FS that propane was no longer an option on coach refrigerators.
I have a 2011 Jayco 31FS (on a 2010 e-450) with propane refrigerator - I could not imagine not having it.
Thor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I called a different Jayco Dealer and got a different answer. So I hit the books... (Geeks only use the manual as a last resort.) I must admit I was misinformed during my delivery. The new refrigerator runs on either Battery and LP gas at the same time or AC. Unlike my old pop up that would run on gas or battery... So I find and another reason not to go there... Sorry about the erroneous post...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #22

I am soooo embarrassed. I haven't ever made a misstakrettu until now! ( that IS how you spell mistake , correct?)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Davinger - that's right on your fridge. Typically they are 2 way fridges these days if norcold or Dometic.

Propane
Or
110v AC

The 12 volt required during the propane setting is used for controlling the electronics (igniter, etc). A 500 milliamp draw is typical.

There are 3 way fridges that will do a true 12 volt (without propane) cycle but the amp draw is much higher on that setting. Lots of folks ended up with dead batteries in the "12 volt only" setting. I'll admit that I would feel a bit safer driving down the highway with the propane off completely at the tank, but haven't had any issues on propane.

Tags
battery