Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

House battery question

Hi all,
New to RVing here. So we went to a full hookup campsite and after three days the chasis battery wouldn't start. Needed a jump. It's been fine ever since. Do you think it could be because the house battery was on the whole time? When plugged in, does the house battery need to be on? The reason I'm also wondering is because the previous owner installed a radio/ cd player that stays on when the house battery is on. I'm wondering if this is somehow draining the chasis battery. Thanks!
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

In most RVs when in a full hook up campground the converter will charge the house battery, while the chassis battery isn't normally charged. It sounds to me that the radio/CD player is connected to the chassis battery, not the house battery. If that's not the case, you might have another drain on the chassis battery.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

But the radio only works when the house battery is on.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only you can answer your question.
Plug your coach into shore power and measure the voltage across the chassis batteries.
If it is 13.8v of more, then they are getting charged.

"Normally" the house and chassis batteries are completely separate.
And the inverter/converter will only charge the house batteries.

Many times the coach will have a separate charger for the chassis batteries....but not always.

Regards,
Dan
Old 11-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most inexpensive multimeters also have an amperage tester setting that will show if there is a parasitic voltage draw and how much that amount is. Just be aware that most inexpensive ones are limited to 10 amps. I learned a lot on my last rig about drains of this nature and eliminated them. Here is a simple video of how to test.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:04 AM   #6

It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere on the chassis battery. Presuming you drove to the campground the battery should have been fully charged. Even with a radio playing for a couple days you still should have been okay to start. At least mine does, I have only the in dash stereo.

The booster cables may have bumped the bad connection enough to do the trick.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Check for a bad cell in the chassis battery. If you have a marginal cell and run the vehicle every day or so you will not have a problem starting the vehicle. However if you have any additional draw on the battery it will fail. Take it to a shop or Batteries plus have them put the tester on it, usually is free, the tester will identify a bad cell. Bad cell = New Battery. It's not difficult to diagnose/recognize the problem but if you're not paying attention a bad cell can cause you grief at the most in opportune time.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will take excepton with one word in one of the replies.

"In most RV's"

I would change that to "Many" not Most.. I will also say in MANY Rv's the house converter does NOT charge the chassis (Starting) battery Epically in older units...

And finally in still more RVs (This would be "A Few" instead of "Many") the system to charge all batteries off either source is installed.. But Deffective.

Kind of like my phone it has alphabet problems.. The ABC is DEF
(Automatic Brightness Control,,, DEFfective).

When it comes to the battery isolator system (Whch controls which batteries charge from what)

Some have one way
Some have two way
Some have deffective two way.

It is imortant to know which you have.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

dont rely on a cheap multimeter

my harbor fright meter said my battery charging voltage(engine running) was 12 volts.It was off by 2 volts!My fluke 77 read 14.3 which is what it should be!
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #10

Charging your fluke is correct manufacture specification standard 12v wet cell charge at 14.4 - 14.8
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhett View Post
my harbor fright meter said my battery charging voltage(engine running) was 12 volts.It was off by 2 volts!My fluke 77 read 14.3 which is what it should be!
Open up your HF meter, and calibrate it. There is a single adjustment pot.

Regards,
Dan
Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #12

Well, figured out it was the radio system that was installed. Thanks for all the input.

Tags
battery