Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How bad is humidity if you don't run A/C?

Hi Y'all,

We take off soon on the first trip and plan to run the A/C very sparingly when parked. Do I need to be concerned about mildew? If so, what helps?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
The air conditioner will dry the air out.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why would you want to run the A/C very sparingly? The A/C is meant to be used and to keep you comfortable. As for humidity, it all depends on what area of the country you will be camping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #4

What ever the humidity is outside it will be the same inside. A/C will dry out that air and dispell it. Not quite sure if you are referring to your engine A/C or your coach A/C. I run my coach A/C, w generator, even when under way, takes a load off the engine.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #5

If you are concerned about humitity, get "Damp-Rid". Most Home Improvement or Wall Marts carry It. I used the kind that hangs up. Works well for several months and then pitch it and put up a new one.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you're in a humid place RUN the AC..that will do it. Having spent much of my life living in the tropics I can tell you that with some authority The AC will dry out the air and prevent mould and mildew from growing. No reason to be sparing about it.

Of course if you're in AZ you won't need to worry about humidity, but you may still be running the AC for other reasons
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It will generally be more humid inside than out side in the warm weather. Every breath you breathe will expel moisture. Just living in the RV will add moisture in cooking and bathing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi Y'all,

We take off soon on the first trip and plan to run the A/C very sparingly when parked. Do I need to be concerned about mildew? If so, what helps?
If you are concerned about humidity and dampness with limited air conditioner use, get the air moving by other means such as open windows ceiling fans etc. I only use air conditioning when very uncomfortable hot humid weather exists and I never worry about mildew.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Why would you want to run the A/C very sparingly?
Ken
I plan to boondock most of the time and dislike a noisy generator. Also, I've found it easier to go outside and play if the temperature inside is not too different from outdoors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are a lot of factors to consider when talking about controlling humidity inside the coach. In February we were in an RV park in San Jose, CA for one month. It was cool, and damp. Because we were hooked up to shore power, we elected to run two small electric ceramic heaters. Sometimes in the middle of the night, the propane furnace ran a little bit. Humidity inside the coach wanted to be very high. I tried opening the ceiling vent a little bit, but it seemed to make the heaters run even more.

I carry a small electric dehumidifier in the basement for situations like this. For that month, it was upstairs running most days, and controlled the humidity very well. Some of the other coaches had water running down the windows. Ours was nice and dry.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I carry a small electric dehumidifier in the basement for situations like this. For that month, it was upstairs running most days, and controlled the humidity very well. Some of the other coaches had water running down the windows. Ours was nice and dry.
Jim,

Which brand and model dehumidifer do you use? I've been looking at some on-line as well as chemical types like Dri-Rid. It's good to know what really works. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The chemical type are pretty useless in an RV that you will be occupying. If you have windows or vents open to keep cool, the dehumidifier will be useless. In warm weather it is best to just run the A/C and keep cool and comfortable.

Ken
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought a generic brand from our local Rona store. (That's Lowes in the U.S.A.) It works well.

Many people say this is a really good one:

Soleus CFM40E 40 Pint Portable Dehumidifier

Txiceman, you are absolutely right, and I agree with you. You did, however, miss my point. There are times when it is cool enough to have to heat the joint, yet humidity is so high that it's like a swimming pool inside. In that situation, the only option left is to fire up the old dehumidifier.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Jim,

Which brand and model dehumidifer do you use? I've been looking at some on-line as well as chemical types like Dri-Rid. It's good to know what really works. Thanks!
Being from Oklahoma originally I can not remember ever having to worry about the humidity. Just open a window or vent and the outside dry air will suck up all the humidity inside.

Now that we live in Georgia I purchased this dehumidifier from Lowe's for when the motor home is in storage. Shop Frigidaire 25-Pint Dehumidifier at Lowes.com

The only problem is you will have to run your generator to run the dehumidifier if you are boondocking.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote