Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
How big is too BIG?

New to the forum and first time Class-C buyer (ditching the trailer

We are looking to buy either a 24' or 26' Class-C but am a bit nervous about maneuverability and storage. We do a lot of camping and I do not want to be limited to only over sized campgrounds and have to worry about getting in and out of parking lots/gas stations. Also need as much exterior storage space as I can get. I noticed you only get about 1/2 the storage space in a 24 vs 26 due to the shower location.

So I'm leaning towards a 26'er due to storage but and worried I'll have trouble in the campgrounds, parking lots, and gas stations. Anyone else have trouble in these tight spaces with a 26' or am I over reacting and shouldn't have many issues?

Thanks in advance on any advice!

gregb1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Since we don't encounter much difficulty with a 40' MH I seriously doubt a 26' one will cause you much concern. You surely don't have to worry about going to over-sized campgrounds; almost all of them are set-up for rigs our size.

We owned a 27' Class C for 5 years and used it as our day-vehicle (we had no toad) without a problem. Only in one or two cities did we bother to rent a car because the MH was too large to be convenient for parking.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt you'll find very many CGs or parks where that size rig will be too big. Obviously the additional space and size requires some adjustments but I read very few posts from people who feel they should have bought a smaller Class C.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and welcome

I own a 30ft class c and have no problems getting around with it on any gas station, street or parking lot. Sure there have been a few times at a gas station where I had to do a 3 point turn to get to the pumps or a camp site. I will also suggest getting one with a back up camera to help in backing up and seeing what is behind you when changing lanes.
Another suggestion is to consider the floor plan too. If an 30 ft or a 32ft has a floor plan you like don't let the extra 3 to 5 feet hinder you from choosing it.
Best of luck.
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 31' c and the only problem is watching exiting parking lots with steep angles. Tow hitch dragged a couple of times but I have sinced removed it and have not had issues. Just remember TAIL SWING and you will be fine. learned the hard way another story.
1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "A" is 39 feet long and I haven't had a problem other than California State campgrounds.

I'd suggest going as long as you can.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I drove our 29' just fine. Into gas station even backed into a parking space at Walmart!! Did just fine however now word of advice the 29' stuck out a lot so I took that into consideratio and tried to be in the middle not by an exit.

Otherwise not a problem.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I take our 29.5' all over the place including Forest Service Parks an no issues finding a nice camp sight to fit into. Also no issues fueling up or parking at places like Walmart. My 24' was a tad easier to find street parking for but otherwise truly don't notice a difference. I'd go 26.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TheDogNPonyShow - Bellingham WA USA
Road Home of BlackFyre Arabians & Belgian Shepherds
"Love what you do, Do what you LOVE!"

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
At 26' that is just 1' longer than my F550 and Lance Camper. If someone can park a car in a space, you can park that 26' Class C in the same space. Size was a huge consideration for us, we just bought (a few weeks ago) our Bounder 33U, after driving the 33U for a couple of weeks, I don't think accessibility is too much of an issue.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
My rigs about 29' and I suspect the only sites I would have a problem with are sites that anyone who had a trailer would consider unsuitable as well. Class C's are going to have less living space than a TT - no way around that - many of use use the shower as closet.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the reasons we bought our 26' Aspect was we wanted to be able to use it in older State and National park campgrounds. A lot of those restrict length to 30'. We're not big fans of RV parks and private campgrounds.
It handles like a large van and we have not yet towed a car with it, although we will soon. Last Spring in Mississippi we rented a car for a few days to explore the area. Most trips we unhook the electric and water, pull in the slide and away we go exploring. A tank of gas is considerably cheaper than renting a car for few days.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
I'm with the crowd here also.

I park my 24' C (and so does the DW, without issue) in a normal parking lot at the plaza or grocery store, something as big as a CG site is a walk in the park.

Now, to be totally fair and in the interest of full disclosure, I've had a crew cab dually pickup for several decades, the coach isn't much bigger.

But as a tip, and especially with the help of a spotter, it's far easier to back into a tight space than it is to drive in.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
If you find a C you like take a tape and see what the actual length is bumper to bumper. Physical size may be longer than what you are lead to believe by the units name.
EdOsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We used to have a 26' class C (about 28' bumper to bumper) and had no trouble camping in any of the state or national park or forest campgrounds we've stayed at in the East (Blue Ridge Parkway campsites, for example, can be very short). The 26' was 8' wide and took up 2 back-to-back spots in a parking lot, if I could find a spot where I could overhang the back on grass, etc. it only took up one. I'd highly recommend the 26' class C you are looking at.

We don't like RV parks and avoid them whenever we can. Now, in our 34' class A we still avoid RV parks, still can find plenty of sites long enough for our coach and toad, even in the Blue Ridge Parkway campgrounds. It's 8 1/2' wide and also takes up 2 spots in the parking lot but won't fit in just one even if I can overhang the back over grass.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote