Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektron View Post
The I've always gotten away with UNSAFE practices statement is an argument I've heard for almost 60 years.

This makes NO sense unless you have an older two way powered refrigerator. I assume such things exist. I have not seen one in the last 20 years when I looked (casually) at RVs and Boats with kitchens.

If your refrigerator can be caused to switch from shore power to LP automatically then it is doing so on 12 volt chassis power. If it will do that, then it is likely to be capable of running on 12 volt as well (as every refrigerator that I have seen in an RV the last ten years does) which means that if you are running on LP while the RV is on the road, you are simply using up LP instead of engine fuel AND it's unnecessary.

While I personally do not care what any person does in their own lives; I personally support assisted suicide and the right to die, I insist on giving ONLY good advice to others.

I think you need to do a little research before you jump to erroneous conclusions based on wrong information.

If you look at the Dometic website for instance, you'll see that only the smallest refrigerators are capable of running on 12 volts, anything bigger than those ridiculous little bar fridges require too much thermal energy to make the absorptive cooling system work. Yes they all need and use 12 volts to operate the DSI and control side, otherwise they couldn't operate on propane with disconnected from shore power either, that's not for cooling.

While you're on the Dometic website, download a few operators manuals, they ALL say that operating the refrigerator is DESIGNED to operate on propane while going down the road. No problem, no safety issue, no concerns.

A typical full sized RV refrigerator uses about 10,000 BTU per day, propane is about 91,000 BTU per gallon, so consumption would be about 9 days per gallon of propane. Considering even a small RV would have 13 to 15 gallons of propane on board that would run the refrigerator for 3 to 4 months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just looked through my Dometic manual. It says to shut off when gassing up, but doesn't say anything about using while driving.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #31

I applaud all of my fellow rv friends who have tried to straighten out this "crooked road".....Initially I was going to retort, but found such overwhelming misinformation in abundance to the degree I began to realize some people are not on this site to share and inform...a sad moment for me.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #32

We've been going to FL for 4 years now - a 1200 round trip and have yet to see anything on fire.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We've been going to FL for 4 years now - a 1200 round trip and have yet to see anything on fire.
I used to go to Marco Island up to four times a year starting in 1985. The first trip is when I saw four burning RVs, all near Orlando. It's a 2200 mile trip for me. On my last trip through Orlando, I saw only 2 burning.

"Boy those four door refrigerators are nice to put your food in, but they have a bad habit of catching fire."

There was a large recall of RV refrigerators because they were causing fires. Is it the electrics that cause the fire, or the LP Gas, or a combination of these interacting?? I don't know.

being delivered: Catches fire
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
I just looked through my Dometic manual. It says to shut off when gassing up, but doesn't say anything about using while driving.
I have a manual somewhere that recommends shutting off the LP when refueling and driving. I WAS keeping the LP turned on while driving prior to reading this. A fire due to an LP leak is more of a problem when you are moving than if you are parked. The LP gas detector should detect the presence of gas. You may not have time enough to get out if this occurs while you are on the road at 65 mph.

There was a LARGE Norcold refrigerator recall due to their units tending to cause fires. Dometic has also recalls a number of units.

This document
recommends running the refrigerator (if one of the defective ones likely to cause a fire) on electricity to reduce the risk of fire which is more likely with LP. It also mentions that running on 12 volt has the least risk of all.

RV Forum writer reports seeing 6 burned out RVs.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #35

Quote:
I used to go to Marco Island up to four times a year starting in 1985. The first trip is when I saw four burning RVs, all near Orlando. It's a 2200 mile trip for me. On my last trip through Orlando, I saw only 2 burning.

"Boy those four door refrigerators are nice to put your food in, but they have a bad habit of catching fire."

There was a large recall of RV refrigerators because they were causing fires. Is it the electrics that cause the fire, or the LP Gas, or a combination of these interacting?? I don't know.

being delivered: Catches fire
Why are you starting all those RV fires?
In two of your trips to Fl. you've seen 6 RVs on fire ? I've been living here 38 years and haven't seen one yet. What are the odds ?
Are you attributing all those fires to people running refrigerators on propane ?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #36

Elektron, with all your worry about this, and what you have "seen", and the manuals you have read I would recommend you don't drive yours with the propane running the fridge. I have read articles about MH fires that were attributed to engine fuel leaks, but not the fridge. I'm not saying it would never be a fridge, but there is less of a chance of that than an engine fuel leak.

As for me I'm going to run mine with the propane on, because that's what the actual 2014 Manual I have for my MH/fridge says to do and is safe to do. The bigger fridges run on either propane or 120v, the only thing the 12v would operate are the fridge controls but not the cooling unit so that is not an option. I'm fairly confident that Norcold or Dometic are not still putting the same fridges that were recalled into new MH's. I'm also pretty confident that they are not putting fridges "tending to cause fires" into brand new MH's as I'm sure the companies could not stay in business if they did so. I am also confident that in the last 30+ years the engineers have developed/revamped (whatever you want to call it) the fridges and propane systems to the point that they are safer than they have ever been(at least safer than in 1985).

With that being said and having RV'ed in various type RV's for the last 40+ years, running the fridges on propane while driving(over 200,000 miles) with no issues, I would recommend to anybody that asked me that it is safe to run your fridge on propane while driving, and if you have any doubt follow what your manual says.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The propane systems are designed, built, tested and certified to be used while in motion.
If you have to shut off the propane for safety I wonder how all the propane powered vehicles continue to run down the highways?
Been RV'ing since 1957 and always run with the propane on although in 1957 the rental trailer had an icbebox, the 1958 unit had a three way refer and no high flow cutoff. And it worked just fine for years that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Elektron, with all your worry about this, and what you have "seen", and the manuals you have read I would recommend you don't drive yours with the propane running the fridge.
My dealer actually told me that it was alright to leave the propane turned on all the time. I was doing just that until I read a safety recommendation to leave it off.
Quote:
I have read articles about MH fires that were attributed to engine fuel leaks, but not the fridge. I'm not saying it would never be a fridge, but there is less of a chance of that than an engine fuel leak.
If you read some of the source cited, you'll notice one person has seen six RVs burned specifically due to refrigerator fires. There have been recalls of Norcold and Dometic refrigerators which have caused many fires. And I am sure there are other instances of refrigerators which cause fires outside those serial number ranges due to frayed wiring since most of these chassis have major vibration issues and wires do tend to wear.
Quote:
As for me I'm going to run mine with the propane on, because that's what the actual 2014 Manual I have for my MH/fridge says to do and is safe to do. The bigger fridges run on either propane or 120v, the only thing the 12v would operate are the fridge controls but not the cooling unit so that is not an option. I'm fairly confident that Norcold or Dometic are not still putting the same fridges that were recalled into new MH's. I'm also pretty confident that they are not putting fridges "tending to cause fires" into brand new MH's as I'm sure the companies could not stay in business if they did so. I am also confident that in the last 30+ years the engineers have developed/revamped (whatever you want to call it) the fridges and propane systems to the point that they are safer than they have ever been(at least safer than in 1985).
Keep in mind that the problems with both makers refrigerators (especially the four door models) was NOT known at the time the makers were selling the units and certainly were not the result of a deliberate action to sell known defective items. General Motors is now settling law suits for the many millions of KNOWN problems with ignition switches which lead to dozens of known deaths any probably many more that are not known.

Do as you like, it's your life you risk. I've stated the known issues. That is all I feel obligated to do.
Quote:
With that being said and having RV'ed in various type RV's for the last 40+ years, running the fridges on propane while driving(over 200,000 miles) with no issues, I would recommend to anybody that asked me that it is safe to run your fridge on propane while driving, and if you have any doubt follow what your manual says.
In a bit more than 2 Million miles of travel in all manner of vehicles, I've seen a number of fatalities. I do everything that I can to avoid safety issues and advise others to do the same.

In my experience with several of the makers of RV components, it's obvious that they have new issues that occur on a regular basis which may be revealed over time. I think it very foolish to assume that you are safe when issues have been known to occur.

It's not my goal to frighten people. It's known that many people won't take good advice even though it's in their best interest to do so. Whether this is a form of narcissism or defiance I don't care.

The Boy Scouts (not a good example in this age) have an old motto which says something like this, "Be Prepared." I would think myself a fool if I didn't try to follow it.

Sergent Murphy has another old saying that goes like this: "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

The Darwin Awards are full of people who didn't think there was a hazard to what they did.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #39

Electron, whatever you think, I don't live my life thru magazines or newspaper articles, if people did they would probably never buy anything or leave the house.The Media can make a mountain out of a molehill, or a molehill out of a mountain, whichever fits there needs at the time. If like you said "I think it very foolish to assume that you are safe when issues have been known to occur",then I don't know how we all survive all the food and prescription drug warnings as most have had issues know to occur.Do we all starve or let illness take us over. Read what you say becuase it does scare people who are just getting into the RV world and are looking at this site for advice.

I honestly think that you are the one who assumes things, I never used the word "assumed" I used the word "confident", two different meanings. Hmmm first 4 MH's seen on fire in one trip, now up to six seen personally, you see something burning everytime you go to Florida and 2 million miles in travel...WOW..no wonder you are scared.. Read what you say, now you are saying the fires were due to frayed wires, nothing to do with propane use, so even your 12v may not be safe by your standards.

I worked in a field where I saw people die on a weekly basis and it was usually due to complete stupidy on someone's part, not someone trying to take their RV out and ENJOY the great outdoors. I think the Boy Scouts would be embarrassed that you qouted them on this simple of an issue. They would probably prepare by reading the manufacturers directions, and following them. And in my opinion the Boy Scouts is a good example to the youth today(again you talk about stuff that has nothing to do with the thread).
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #40

Quote:

The odds are truly astounding!

Even the lawyers handling the class action suit say they estimate 2,000 fires resulted from this problem between 199 and 2012 when the suit was filed. So using round numbers 2,000 divided by 12 years is about 166 fires per year or 3.2 per week, 1 every other day spread all across all of the USA.

Yet you saw 4 in the same trip, and 2 more in another trip and just near Orlando? Seriously?

Dude, buy lottery tickets!!!!

That or warm up the porridge for Goldilocks.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #41

I'm kinda sorry I read this thread. The OP's question was pretty simple "So how do I keep my fridge cold when going does the road?". Simple answer read your manuals.

Instead of a simple answer I got to read a pissing contest.

Tips like plug your rv into shore power and turn on the frig a day or two before you leave and load your food when the frig is cold enough is helpful for a newbie to rv'ing

The LP debate is going to go on for years, decide for yourself if you want to be safe.
I travel up to 24 hours with my fridge off, my beer and steaks stay cold and my popsicles stay frozen.

Tags
fridge