Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For about 3 years my wife and I got along without a towed, We basically moved from campground to campground on Sunday, (Going to church and shopping on the way) and otherwise did everything we could to consolidate travel, I mean 8MPG freeway is not the way I want to run around town.

When I had major running around to do Enterprise, but that is expensive since my motor home insurance does not covered a rented car. (Yes I am looking for a new insurer)

Then last Holy week we bought a used Jeep. Life was GREAT, we had FREEDOM to travel.. for 4 days.. Then Wife ran the jeep into a tree as we were changing campgrounds.

Many times that Motor home not pulling a towed. Is being followed by a car or pick up you don't see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When I had major running around to do Enterprise, but that is expensive since my motor home insurance does not covered a rented car. (Yes I am looking for a new insurer).
Your motorhome insurance is not going to cover a rental car for running around, only if it's been in an accident. Confused about this statement.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my MH for 2.5 years now. Have only been on short (under 1 week) excursions and have access to friends or family's vehicles so I have not needed a towed vehicle, BUT I want to bring my car, I just can't afford it yet. I figure when it's all said and done it will be between 2,000 and 2,500 to outfit the car/rig for towing.

It will be one day down the road, but for now, like others, look for rental car deals when you can and plan your travels accordingly.

I remember the local Hertz rental cars used to pick up folks from nearby places like Enterprise. Don't know if they still do or if that was just this one local franchise, but, it can't hurt to check. There are great weekend deals on rental cars, not so much during the week though.

Good luck!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 24 foot class c. Yes, it is small enough to park lots of places. Yet we have seen value in bringing our toad (Chevy tracker which we tow 4 down). On trips that we intend to leave the campground more than once, we bring the toad. The tracker makes for fun for 4wd on the beach and nearby forest roads that are often near camp.

Traveling as a family of 4, it's just nice to set up camp and leave it set up. Kids tend to spread out in the RV and not having to put things away for daily travel is nice avoid. I suppose one could say that our family might be better suited for a pickup and a travel trailer instead, but we also enjoy the added room along the way that a ,toothsome brings.

On long trips such as Yellowstone, we decided to rent a car when we got there to avoid pulling the toad over several tall mountain passes and saving fuel and possible hassle.

You can save a lot of coin by purchasing used but in good shape towing gear off of craigslist locally.

Happy travels - I always enjoy the variety that folks choose to do with their RV - that is what makes this a great experience that we treasure.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Love the typos of autocorrect. You get the gist.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Our Mini always goes where it is towed. Like our American Express Card we don't leave home without it attached to our 6 wheel RV. Home is where you park it and having a car when your home is parked is very convenient. deSanford PS we use Air Force 1 for braking.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 29' class C and so far DH follows in a secondary vehicle when we go camping somewhere we want to tour, plus I usually tow one set of toys and he another because we go campout TO play with our toys :-D. When I go on toad trips alone to dog shows or horse shows I've been sure to stock my cupboards and fridge over full :-D

We have two different Geo Trackers and found a brand new Brake Buddy on our local Craig's list for $300 the owner bought a car trailer so put the BB up still new in box.

We have a roadmaster towbar but need to find the brackets. Once we do we will set up one of the Trackers so I can take it with me on longer trips.

So far we've got $400 into supplies buy carefully shopping via Craig's list. Brackets are $300 new direct from company so if we can't find any used we will have about $700 invested.

I take a folding bike to do short trips around where I'm camped and road work my dogs.

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNPonyshow View Post
So far we've got $400 into supplies buy carefully shopping via Craig's list. Brackets are $300 new direct from company so if we can't find any used we will have about $700 invested.
We shopped the same way. Our Tracker was previously towed so the baseplate and tail light wiring were already installed. Found a Blue Ox tow bar on Craigslist for $173 and bought a new Ready Brake. We figure we have less into our tow set up than most people including the price of the car.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Your motorhome insurance is not going to cover a rental car for running around, only if it's been in an accident. Confused about this statement.
I'm venturing a guess that his MH insurance won't cover any accidents in the rental car so he has to buy insurance from the rental car company which adds to the price of the rental.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #38
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I'm venturing a guess that his MH insurance won't cover any accidents in the rental car so he has to buy insurance from the rental car company which adds to the price of the rental.
Doesn't your insurance on your private vehicle transfer to the rental? Here in Canada it does. Also, if I pay for the rental with my Visa, it covers the rental insurance.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #39

Planning is the key…We rent from Enterprise and either drive by their location on the way to the CG or have them pick us up. Booking through Travelocity usually saves a little. Normally we stay a week in a location if we were moving more often I would tow our CRV.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

Doesn't your insurance on your private vehicle transfer to the rental? Here in Canada it does. Also, if I pay for the rental with my Visa, it covers the rental insurance.
Yep! Primary car insurance transfers to rental - but doesn't keep the rental companies from trying to sell ya more coverage. I have never taken out their insurance and fortunately never needed insurance on a rental.

Still searching for right toad...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen
Planning is the key…We rent from Enterprise and either drive by their location on the way to the CG or have them pick us up. Booking through Travelocity usually saves a little. Normally we stay a week in a location if we were moving more often I would tow our CRV.
We just returned from a trip and used Enterprise. They came to CG - picked us up, took us to their office and we're out and about in around an hour.

We had two CGs on this trip. They were 75 miles apart. Had option to return car in location 1 and rent in location 2. Opted to split up driving and keep the car. I drove MH and DW the car to site 2. On return - I parked at Walmart while DW returned the car. Enterprise delivered her to me in less than 30 minutes.

We are still looking for a toad and I wouldn't rent if full time - but still working and on a two week vacation it's a good option. 11 days was about $400 for a Chrysler 200 - probably could have used Travelocity and saved some $ but called direct to Marble Falls Tx. It worked out fine for us.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
We hauled a trailer behind our MH to Yellowstone as we flew places on the way there and back so, we rented a car while in Yellowstone to go see to sites. Our friends with the huge truck that pulls their camper appreciated not having to burn so much gas either.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote