Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
How Many Miles Do You Drive Your Class C Per Year?

The reason I ask is that we are looking into purchasing a used class c. We will probably be driving it about 10K miles per year. If I own it for 10 years thats around 100K miles. When looking at used class c's should I have a max mileage in mind? We like the idea of buying a well maintained rental unit but some have high miles already. If properly maintained how many miles will these units normally last? Thank You.

Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
I'm in year one of owning a well maintained rental unit. It had around 107,000 when I bought it. That freaked me out a little, but I've only put about 7,000 on it in the first year. If you manage to put 10K per year consider yourself lucky you are using it that much. Most RVs spend 99% of their life parked.

Most vehicles now days can make it to 200,000 without too many issues. Even if you need a major repair the money you save buying used will more than make up the difference. Mine only needed ordinary maintenance items like shocks.

Jscott1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a toad or carry a motorcycle/scooter, your RV milage will be less as your extra vehicle will be used for shopping, local tourist trips, etc.
I travel full time with a toad in tow. My RV milage varies from 6-12K a year.
An RV that is not used regularly ends up with rubber gaskets, seals, hoses and bushings cracking and drying out, plus metal parts dry from lack of lubrication or get rusty.
Odds are after 5 or so years you will most likely want to upgrade and trade in for a newer coach.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Our son purchased a used 30'Class C with 87K miles on it.....it was reconditioned and had been in the rental groups in Florida.....he has had it 2 years and has put 12=15k on the unit since - Grandson races and they pull all equipment in 24 foot trailer. He has had excellent service from the unit with the Ford Engine and no problems whatsoever. The folks who reconditioned it also re-did some of the inside and DIL redecorated it - very nice and certainly beats all those hotel nights! All systems still working with no glitches and he has added two additional portable generators for use with the racing repair equipment (wrecks do happen in the racing world, LOL). Depending on your needs a high mileage Ford can be a great buy and work well. Happy Trails to You.
2014 Winnebago VISTA 35F, DH and Boston Terrier Fur Baby 'Bella'
SAVGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This brings to mind a question: What is the national average for driving miles per year for a RV?

On cars, it is 15,000, so it is easy to figure if a used car for sale has too many miles or not for its year.

I bought a new RV in February and we have taken it to Yellowstone, Lake Havasu and Las Vegas at different times. Plus, I had to use it for basic transportation when my car was in the shop. It still has under 7,000 miles on it.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
I understand the average is 3000 miles per year.

2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote

class c