Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

How old is too old for an RV?

I’m shopping around for a good, used Class C, and I’m just overwhelmed. I likely won’t be driving it all over the nation, more likely 1000 miles at the most at a time. I’ll be living in it, though, so I’m not sure what to worry about: engine or appliances/plumbing/electrical. Knowing that repairs are going to be required, what should I be looking for?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Michelle
Fruitcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

A TT or a fifth wheel. Letting a motor home sit for extended time is expensive and not good on the drive train. Besides a TT would be a lot cheaper to buy and maintain.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

No easy answer...was it stored indoors or outdoors? Did it already have leaks?
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcracker View Post
I’m shopping around for a good, used Class C, and I’m just overwhelmed. I likely won’t be driving it all over the nation, more likely 1000 miles at the most at a time. I’ll be living in it, though, so I’m not sure what to worry about: engine or appliances/plumbing/electrical. Knowing that repairs are going to be required, what should I be looking for?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Michelle

Hi Michelle, and welcome to iRV2.

How much space do you need? I find it annoying to dress standing by the dinette in my Class C. It's great for a couple of weeks and then feels a little too snug for me. My next RV will be a Class A.

How much weight is in your travel essentials? Will you be towing a car or SUV? Will you have companions regularly?

Are you handy with basic automotive, hand, and electrical tools?

And the most important questions: what are your expectations and what's your budget?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

More info please.

Will you be driving it 1000 miles once a year or 10 times a year? Will there be any occasional, shorter trips? A coach sitting won’t kill it. A few people have been know to drive a coach to Florida or Arizona where it will sit for 4-5 months, then drive it back to Minnesota where it will sit for most of the other 7-8 months.

What’s your budget? Do you plan to tow a car?
What do you consider “old”? Some can’t tolerate being in a 4 year old coach, others are happy in a 20+ year old coach.
You could worry about everything, this is not uncommon, or you could be selective in the buying process, maintain the vehicle and it’s systems, repair things when needed and not worry at all.

A TT or fifth wheel may initially seem less expensive until you realize what it’s going to cost to find a suitable truck that hasn’t been hauling horse trailers around for 300K miles.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
A TT or a fifth wheel. Letting a motor home sit for extended time is expensive and not good on the drive train. Besides a TT would be a lot cheaper to buy and maintain.
I don't have an appropriate vehicle for towing and can't afford one at the moment, unfortunately. Otherwise, a fifth wheel would be awesome!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
No easy answer...was it stored indoors or outdoors? Did it already have leaks?
I'm still in shopping mode, so I would want to find one that was well-taken-care-of, as well as with no water damage or ridiculous soft spots.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Things that were built before 2008 tend to be better quality than the late model stuff. The economy crash destroyed any attempt at making a quality unit.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcracker View Post
I'm still in shopping mode, so I would want to find one that was well-taken-care-of, as well as with no water damage or ridiculous soft spots.
Right, that's kind of the point. Your first question was "how old" but how-well-taken-care-of matters the most.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Hi Michelle, and welcome to iRV2.

How much space do you need? I find it annoying to dress standing by the dinette in my Class C. It's great for a couple of weeks and then feels a little too snug for me. My next RV will be a Class A.

How much weight is in your travel essentials? Will you be towing a car or SUV? Will you have companions regularly?

Are you handy with basic automotive, hand, and electrical tools?

And the most important questions: what are your expectations and what's your budget?
I plan to live in it for a while, since I have a kid in NY, a kid in GA and a kid and ailing mother in SC. Most time will be spent in GA, with frequent trips to SC and two-three trips a year to NY. Most everything is going into storage, so travel essentials won't be much. The RV is likely to be my main vehicle, as I don't have a car at the moment. I might invest in a scooter, but I don't know how practical that would be. I'm pretty handy with tools and can do basic oil change, air filter, easy-basic stuff that i can google.

I certainly don't expect perfection, but I do hope for reliability. I'd like to remain under 15k, under 10K if possible. That would leave me a little cushion in my bank account for the unexpected.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
More info please.

Will you be driving it 1000 miles once a year or 10 times a year? Will there be any occasional, shorter trips? A coach sitting won’t kill it. A few people have been know to drive a coach to Florida or Arizona where it will sit for 4-5 months, then drive it back to Minnesota where it will sit for most of the other 7-8 months.

What’s your budget? Do you plan to tow a car?
What do you consider “old”? Some can’t tolerate being in a 4 year old coach, others are happy in a 20+ year old coach.
You could worry about everything, this is not uncommon, or you could be selective in the buying process, maintain the vehicle and it’s systems, repair things when needed and not worry at all.

A TT or fifth wheel may initially seem less expensive until you realize what it’s going to cost to find a suitable truck that hasn’t been hauling horse trailers around for 300K miles.

Same response given Solo_RV_Guy...

I plan to live in it for a while, since I have a kid in NY, a kid in GA and a kid and ailing mother in SC. Most time will be spent in GA, with frequent trips to SC and two-three trips a year to NY. Most everything is going into storage, so travel essentials won't be much. The RV is likely to be my main vehicle, as I don't have a car at the moment. I might invest in a scooter, but I don't know how practical that would be. I'm pretty handy with tools and can do basic oil change, air filter, easy-basic stuff that i can google.

I certainly don't expect perfection, but I do hope for reliability. I'd like to remain under 15k, under 10K if possible. That would leave me a little cushion in my bank account for the unexpected.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #12

I made a little response here too

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/buyi...ml#post4870243
Old 07-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately, many folks think RV living is inexpensive living. Park rent, insurance, repairs, tires all add up quickly. Even state and local parks tend to add up quickly. National parks can be inexpensive, but usually have short time limits unless you go out west.

Between your budget and other comments regarding finances, I think you will end up deeply regretting buying an RV to use as your primary residence. The after purchase costs will eat you up. I wish you luck in your decision.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
Unfortunately, many folks think RV living is inexpensive living. Park rent, insurance, repairs, tires all add up quickly. Even state and local parks tend to add up quickly. National parks can be inexpensive, but usually have short time limits unless you go out west.

Between your budget and other comments regarding finances, I think you will end up deeply regretting buying an RV to use as your primary residence. The after purchase costs will eat you up. I wish you luck in your decision.

Please take this in the spirit intended.

For the price point you are looking at, I seriously doubt that you will find much that is road ready enough for your plans. The biggie for me is a fall back plan. What happens when the bottle of shudder stop that the previous owner put in the transmission can't handle the clutch plates anymore and you transmission takes the proverbial dump going up I-95 between Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids? You just assumed a $4-5K repair bill, plus how long out of your home for the repair.

How far ahead have you really planned this? If you haven't, please take time to go back through the threads, especially the ones on the General board starting with HELP!