Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just reserved a spot at Raccoon Creek State Park outside of Pittsburgh. The largest site they say is 30 ft. As it turns out they only have trailer sites. Sooo in Pennsylvania State Park Speak, 30ft Trailer site = 30 ft trailer plus 20 ft car = 50 ft !!!!!
Plenty of room for a motorhome !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
We just reserved a spot at Raccoon Creek State Park outside of Pittsburgh....
I took my favorite photo of our coach there. I'd say all the sites in our loop would've fit our coach & many sites in others too.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020253.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	622.0 KB
ID:	102343  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
One thing I have found is maneuvering to park can also be the reason for site limits. I just stayed in a 24 foot length max site in Yosemite. My rig is just that length. The actual pad was 30 feet. When backing in, I had maybe 2 inches to spare on the front bumper to a tree in doing the swing into the site - any bigger and it would not have fit.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I took my favorite photo of our coach there. I'd say all the sites in our loop would've fit our coach & many sites in others too.

Lori-

Raccoon Creek is very pretty. No wonder that's your favorite RV picture. Also plenty of deer roaming around. I am always amazed how Government Campgrounds measure their sites. You can easily tell that none of them RV. It all adds to the excitement of the journey and makes for great campfire tales !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #19

It depends. Here in FL I've given up trying to determine if I can fit and just try to shove ten lbs. into a five lb. bag.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #20

Great picture! That's really helpful. I think we will be fine.
Njchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #21

Yes, just lie to them and no one will ever notice the "32" on the side. If you get there and they do by chance notice your over length for the space don't blame the Parks folks. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps some of us bought smaller because we checked on spots and noticed there were a lot more spaces for 30 and under or the parks we wanted to camp at only had 30 and under. Just love those that want to get in the 10 item checkout line with 19 items and think it's okay. Its not!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut214 View Post
Yes, just lie to them and no one will ever notice the "32" on the side. If you get there and they do by chance notice your over length for the space don't blame the Parks folks. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps some of us bought smaller because we checked on spots and noticed there were a lot more spaces for 30 and under or the parks we wanted to camp at only had 30 and under. Just love those that want to get in the 10 item checkout line with 19 items and think it's okay. Its not!
Glad we agree. Lie to them to get into places where they can't measure. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps some of us bought larger because we knew campgrounds can't figure out how to use a tape measure? You make me laugh grandpa, now go back and tell all those kids to get off of your lawn.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many campgrounds that have limits on the size of an RV have to do with the campground roads--narrow, tight turns, etc. they are often one way as well. We had a guy here in the Tetons a few years ago try and take a huge RV in and ended up scraping the heck out of the last 12 feet on his rv side-- it was going to be a huge nut to fix that paint job!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #24

I've never worried too much. We frequent Pismo's North Beach campground which claims 36' for the biggest spot, and have found only a few spots where growth makes it difficult to get a 40' diesel motorhome into them. It doesn't hurt that while you obviously can't put a 40' motorhome in a space 36' long, from a maneuvering standpoint, I can easily put my 40' diesel with the sharp wheel cut (and the front wheels farther back) into places a 36' gas motorhome would struggle to get into.

Steve
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Glad we agree. Lie to them to get into places where they can't measure. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps some of us bought larger because we knew campgrounds can't figure out how to use a tape measure? You make me laugh grandpa, now go back and tell all those kids to get off of your lawn.
Guessing you just insulted about half the people on here and those campground folk, yes there just toooo dumb to figure it out so you just wheel on in there and have yourself a good ol time.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Ok folks. Enough of the sniping at each other. Remember our Community Rules:
Quote:
Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice
Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable
Let's get back to the subject.

Thanks,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #27

Red face

When a campground posts limits on the length of a rig there any number of factors in play. They know the CG better than you, they know what will fit safely down their often limited access roads and what size RV will fit into a given site.

Please do not lie about the size of your rig (do you enjoy being lied to?). Just because you can stuff your 36' coach into a 30' site does not make it right and will often create a problem for others when you "really" don't fit.

Think about the access for emergency vehicles (paramedics, fire trucks etc.), trying to navigate the tight access roads at 0'dark thirty when your neighbor has suffered a heart attack. When your rig is only a couple of feet into the road it seemed OK when you went to bed, what the hell, rules are just for for other people.... right?

Buying a larger rig gains you all sorts of advantages in terms of storage and accommodations but comes with some costs, size being among the most relevant as to where you can use it.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #28

Some of you may know that besides being a camper, I own a campground. When we build a new section in our park, we carefully measure each site to determine just how long a camper can fit on the site. Then we look at the access to the site. We then make a decision about what size RV to allow. We always underestimate by a little.

The last thing I want is an unhappy camper who can't fit into the site they rented. When someone calls for a site, we try to work with them to find the best site for them. We make exceptions if someone is a little longer but not before we make sure they understand that it might be a difficult fit and they might have to work a little harder to get into their site. We've been known to go out and remeasure a site just to be sure. So far, in 30 plus years, we've never had a problem. Be honest and work with the campground folks. We all want the same thing - Happy Campers.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote