Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #1

How "precise" are campsite size limits?

Hi, I am new to rving, and just committed on a 2013 coachmen freelander, which I love. It is 32 feet long. Wanting to do some initial break in trips, I tried to reserve at a couple of state park campgrounds. There are tons of spots for under 30 feet. Very few over 30 feet. Is it a problem to put my 32 foot unit in a 30 and under site? Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I usually try to pick a site that is within the range of my Freelander.
Which is 27 to 30 ft.

2010 Coachmen Freelander 30qb
Ford E450 V10

Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 42 ft motorhome which is actual closer to 43 ft and I often stay in sites marked for 40 foot with no problems. I often use google maps to zoom in and use the scale chart and try to measure as close as possible (with good results). So far (knock on wood) I have always fit into every 40 ft space I have reserved. The downside is, if you pay over the internet and arrive and don't fit into a space marked as good for 40 ft, I fully expect to lose my money.

You might want to call and ask first if your not sure, but my experience is most government employees wont stick out their neck and will generally stick with the size marked on their chart.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi & Welcome!

It's going to depend on the pad length, where the backstop is, how much overhang you have behind your rear tires & what's behind the pad backstop. You can get into spots shorter than your length but you'll have to know what you're dealing with. We're 37ft+, but a big part of that is overhang behind our rear wheels. We've gotten into sites listed 35ft & smaller, but it's because we can hang the back end past the pad backstop giving us plenty of maneuverability on the pad.

I also use Google maps, when possible, to view the layout & it can really help gauge the lay of the land.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Hi & Welcome!

It's going to depend on the pad length, where the backstop is, how much overhang you have behind your rear tires & what's behind the pad backstop. You can get into spots shorter than your length but you'll have to know what you're dealing with. We're 37ft+, but a big part of that is overhang behind our rear wheels. We've gotten into sites listed 35ft & smaller, but it's because we can hang the back end past the pad backstop giving us plenty of maneuverability on the pad.

I also use Google maps, when possible, to view the layout & it can really help gauge the lay of the land.

Lori-
Yep, that's what I've had to do with the 40' Dutch Star, although usually I haven't had problems. It just depends on the site. I've been on some that had curbs or the ground fell away at the back. Also trees can be a problem. With the new rig we're even more limited being 45' and having a tag. Although we did get into our favorite spot a few weeks ago and I really didn't think we'd fit. Was even able to get level just using the air leveling. Just wasn't quite square with the spot but it's all gravel anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #6

Usually not a problem, just tell the reservation people that it's a 30, worked for me when I had a 32, I don't think that the measurements for the sites are real accurate for State Parks. I never had an issue. Some of the private parks might measure closer, but they usually have longer spots available anyway. Another thing that can be a concern is width, as most places were built before the days of slide outs, especially if you have slides on both sides. The State Parks have room between sites, but many private parks do not, so things get real close.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #7

My trailer is 35 feet. I have stayed at parks that say 25 foot limit. Mostly in California, Arizona and Oregon. Usually state or county parks. I always try to check google maps to see if there is someone in the park that is big. Then I do image searches for the park name to see what people have posted. Usually you will find a few showing what they are staying in and maybe what their site looked like. I also see if the site is on campsitephotos.com. Last I see if the park map shows that I can get into the sites. Preferably there is a road in front of the site I want. Just have to do your homework.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
If I have to reserve and pay in advance, I make sure that I fit in that reserved lot; I usually carry a bike rack at the rear of my 38 footer, so I'll reserve a 40 foot site to make sur I have easy access to the rear of my coach.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Wow!

So many quick and really useful replies! Thank you all very much. I am going to go for the 30 foot site... This seems like a really active and kind of great community. I hope I can be as helpful to someone some day.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #10

Try Google EARTH (Free download). They have a measuring function in the tool bar, and you can measure the length of a site in feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRPA View Post
... I often use google maps to zoom in and use the scale chart and try to measure as close as possible (with good results).....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Try Google EARTH (Free download). They have a measuring function in the tool bar, and you can measure the length of a site in feet.
Unless covered by trees and you can't see the site.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Njchris, welcome to the neighborhood and congrats on the "new-to-you" rig !
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #13

I worked as camp host

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
If I have to reserve and pay in advance, I make sure that I fit in that reserved lot; I usually carry a bike rack at the rear of my 38 footer, so I'll reserve a 40 foot site to make sur I have easy access to the rear of my coach.
In California for Cal. Land Management, We had a guy reserve a 30' space for his 15 " rig. He told us that they were the same price so he got the biggest one he could get.
We had to honor the request, even though some bigger rigs could not have a spot. We asked that he take a smaller spot but he refused. He stayed a week, and we had to take flack from every big rig that came about.
I don't know how it works now so call ahead.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulespo View Post
In California for Cal. Land Management, We had a guy reserve a 30' space for his 15 " rig. He told us that they were the same price so he got the biggest one he could get.
We had to honor the request, even though some bigger rigs could not have a spot. We asked that he take a smaller spot but he refused. He stayed a week, and we had to take flack from every big rig that came about.
I don't know how it works now so call ahead.
I have been in the BLM's in the early 2000's and I've never heard of reservation for that type of boondocking !
Anyhow, I was talking about private campsites and state & county parks which you do have to make a reservation, just like us in Quebec, Canada.