Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

Here is the location for the Fuel Filter (Onan P/N 149-2457) in a Onan KY generator.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #16

Only the 4.0BGE Spec A-E Emerald Plus generators did not have a fuel filter included with the unit. 4.0BGE Spec F and later had a fuel filter attached to the carburator inlet.

Dave
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #17

genesimmions,

Some basic questions:

Is the 120VAC circuit breaker on the generator control panel ON?

Do you switch between shore and generator power with a ATS transfer switch?
Do you switch between shore and generator power with a cable?
Do you switch between shore and generator power with circuit breakers?

Your KY generator uses magneto ignition so it will run even though the generator is not producing power. First thing to do is measure output voltage either at a generator output cable or breaker/ATS switch.

The answer to your original questions (for a KY machine) are located here http://www.instructables.com/id/Onan...familiarzatio/

The service manual for you 4KY Spec unit is here http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

Dave
Old 09-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Here is the location for the Fuel Filter (Onan P/N 149-2457) in a Onan KY generator.

Dave

Dave your illustration is exactly where my manual says it should be. I cannot locate it. My rig is stored a distance from my home. I will get out there and look a little closer. Is the fuel line supposed to enter the carb from the outside of the little inspection slot on the side of the genny case? You have been a big help.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #19

Izzyblueye,
As rv.guru was explaining (posts 7 & 9), the location or existance of the fuel filter depends on what model generator you have. You have never said what you have. We will go around in circles until you provide the model number (i.e: 4.0BGE, 4.0KY, etc) or at least the marketing title (i.e: Emerald, Microlite, etc.)

On the KY series (microlite) unit, the fuel line from the tank connects directly to the hose barb on the fuel filter via the slot in the case as shown in the pictures above. (left side of unit)

On the BGE series (emerald) spec F and later unit, the fuel line from the tank connects to the fuel pump (right side of unit). The Fuel filter screws into the carburator and the fuel from the fuel pump attaches to the filter.

The BGE series (emerald) spec A-E series unit did not have a filter supplied with the unit. Fuel line from tank attached to fuel pump (right side of unit). A PO or the mfg may have added an external one before the unit.

Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #20

Dave, I know you are right about the model or serial number. I don't have it here and I need to make a trip out to the farm to get the manual or view the gen. I think that it is a Emerald. Once I get that information I will ping you and see what you can add. You seem to know your gen sets. Thanks for everything up to this point.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
well, quess you can't fix stupid. i read the manual that came with the mh from onan and the one from fourwinds and no where did it say you had to plug the power cord into a recepticle hidden in the box where the cord comes from
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #22

If you have not done so already check the fuse behind the access cover, this fuse is next to the start button, it will trip if you have overloaded the circuit. As for your fuel filter you do have one and it is not fun to reach but here you go......

My model ends with a K but it still seems to be the same as yours. The fuel line enters on the left side from the bottom, when you are looking at the GEN. You should find the filter on the suction side of the pump. This filter is difficult to reach as I had to remove the control board and starter solenoid and disconnected many wires in order to reach the filter and it was a real tight fit.

Remember to disconnect the house batteries and landline power. The positive cable from the batteries connects to the solenoid and you will get an spark if it touches anything that is grounded and it could cause a fire. A #30 Torx is needed to remove the control board and pump/filter assembly.

Hope this helps.

Regards from the GRV family
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #23

I have a onan 4000 (year 2002) model 4KY FA261OOJ ,i have changed the oil , air filter and spark plug but cannot locate the fuel filter . Any help advice would be appreciated
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #24

If it is behind the control board is this difficult / tricky , how long should i allow . thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #25

has anybody come up with an extension mod that would place the filter on the outside of the case to enable easy changing
Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #26

Dave
thanks for the schematic , found and changed the filter today , took solenoid out but decided that removing the rubber grommet and working from outside of gen casing was best route. thanks again to everyone for their time and advice Jim
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #27

ERrrrr Onan 4000 Stops after running about 20 min. Surges just before stopping. With or with out a load.
Fuel filter changed, spark plug changed and air filter changed.
Added Sea Foam to gas tank. Sprayed carb cleaner into carb.

Have not found any damage to fuel line.
Fuel pump screws are hidden. Can not even feel them.

So if I take the FF off. How do you get the FP out????
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #28

I think I know why Onan told me it was a job for the Onan service department. Man if you spilled any gas and a spark accidentally occurred you are toast.

Tags
onan