Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
This is what you need to add water to the black water tank. Can not fall into the tank.
I have two toilets and have been using this for years. Works great.

A warning though...while it is filling the toilet don't go outside and talk to the neighbors.

Don't ask how I know that.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #30

Most RV toilets have a two position foot valve on them. First level just fill the bowl, second level dumps the toilet. Simple solution fill the bowl then dump the water in your black tank. May have to do this a couple of times to get 5 gals in tank.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #31

Just do NOT WALK away from the pot if you have something holding the valve open.
Ask how I know.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have two toilets and have been using this for years. Works great. A warning though...while it is filling the toilet don't go outside and talk to the neighbors. Don't ask how I know that.
OMG!! New floors, eh?
Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #33

How can you tell if your bathroom sink drain into black tank? I have a 2004 Tioga 29v? The black tank gauge does not seam to always be accurate.
68westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68westfalia View Post
How can you tell if your bathroom sink drain into black tank? I have a 2004 Tioga 29v? The black tank gauge does not seam to always be accurate.
If you are hooked up to a sewar. After dumping both tanks.
Turn on the bathroom faucet for a little while. Than go open the BLK tank valve. See if you get water coming out. If not try the Grsy water tank.
Check your shower also.

Most RV do not run Gray water into BLK tank.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
we have WB access,2007 and its bathroom sink goes black tank. We haven't had a problem,it does keep some water in black tank for rinsing / dumping blk tank. I wondered about ours until:
1. I checked out plumbing drains under camper.
2. I looked online at WB website and sewar drain drawing indicated it
3. I called WB and they confirmed it
4. Visual test as mentioned by others, empty black tank completely and pour water in sink and see if exits black drain, look through clear fitting if you have one on drain, or if you trust level sensors ,watch the black tank level increase with sink faucet in bathroom running, make sure grey tank valve shut.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #36

Our rigs have had about the same size black & gray tanks, and we always fill the gray before the black. We now wash dishes in a dish pan and then dump the dish water in the toilet. While a pita, this does 2 things--saves space in the gray tank, and provides more water in the black tank. When we are ready to leave--we dump both tanks and then add the dish water to the empty black tank, along with about a gallon of water.
imho, the black tank should be about 1/3 the size of the gray tank. I have seen spec of rigs with a larger black tank than a gray tank!

hth, ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
Our rigs have had about the same size black & gray tanks, and we always fill the gray before the black. We now wash dishes in a dish pan and then dump the dish water in the toilet. While a pita, this does 2 things--saves space in the gray tank, and provides more water in the black tank. When we are ready to leave--we dump both tanks and then add the dish water to the empty black tank, along with about a gallon of water.
imho, the black tank should be about 1/3 the size of the gray tank. I have seen spec of rigs with a larger black tank than a gray tank!

hth, ron
I like the thought of finding ways to add what would normally be gray water waste to the black water tank. For those who find that they are inconvenienced by having gray water tanks that need to be emptied... I mean by being forced to make a trip to the dump station because the gray tank is full when they otherwise would not have had to make that trip suggestions such as yours may be helpful.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #38

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenWes View Post
We wash the cooking utensils in a rubber pan and then dump the pan thru the yoilet into the black water.

This works great. I have also run the cold water wasted while waiting for the hot water into a small bucket and then put in the commode. Also always keep the commode 1/3 or so filled and flush with lots of water. But partially filling the black tank before leaving as someone said is also a great idea.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
This works great. I have also run the cold water wasted while waiting for the hot water into a small bucket and then put in the commode. Also always keep the commode 1/3 or so filled and flush with lots of water. But partially filling the black tank before leaving as someone said is also a great idea.
My original reason for starting this thread was to find ways to add water to the black holding tank in order to get it full enough to dump--I'd been informed ti should be 3/4 full before dumping. There have been a number of suggestions made in this thread as to how to accomplish this.

I don't understand, however, why it would be a good idea to partially fill the black tank before leaving. I wouldn't want to carry any unnecessary weight, especially if I'm headed off to go boondocking.

Also, if I'm boondocking I think I'd rather find a use for the water expelled from the shower before it heats up before I pour it into either the black or gray. If I can't find a use for it I think I'd just pour it outside since it's perfectly clean water. That way it wouldn't unnecessarily consume any tank space. So, I guess I'm kinda morphing the thread here. At first I wanted to know how to get water into the black tank in order to dump it. That would come at the end of a trip. Not anytime before then. Until then I'd want to keep as much water out of my black and gray tanks as possible.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am brand new to the whole RV scene so please excuse my ignorance. I understand you need about 3/4 tank before dumping and that makes sense to help push out the solids. My questions are about the dumping and how to get enough black water. First I would assume, very dangerous, that the grey would fill several times over before the black.

First, are there separate dumps at the campgrounds for the grey and the black water?

Second, could you leave the dump outlet closed and open both the black and grey water valves and let them equalize volume thus reducing wasted water to fill the black tank and extend the time between dumps of the grey tank? You could open the grey valve first and because of the volume the pressure would be greater than the black preventing cross contamination. Just stop it prior to full equalization. After closing the valves drain what little is in the drain pipe and flush down the toilet.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #41

If we do short trips we always dump the dish water in the toilet . This helps top up the black tank. We have a plastic tub the same size as our sink. After that we fill and flush the toilet , some times I use the toilet hose, (king of a prayer like in you houses kitchen) if i'm in a hurry but after having the toilet valve open so long it can stink a bit. The shower hose is another option if its close enough. Barring all that you could hook up a garden hose and run it thru the Rv.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1985 Bounder

IMHO, never open both gray and black valves together, you could run the risk of solids getting into your gray tank which has a smaller outlet that may cause a future draining problem. The purpose of dumping the black, then the gray is that the gray will somewhat clean the drain hose and reduce the odor you might breath after unhooking.

rondi

We add water to the black tank to help prevent solids from sticking, if you don't and start to have problems with your tank levels due to build up of solids, put a bag of ice down the toilet and drive off. The ice is pretty good at breaking things up.

Happy New Year
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water