Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

How to buy a warranty for class c?

We just bought our first preowned class c rv. There are many companies that offer theee polices.
How do you go about selecting one?

Thank you for your feedback.
gboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like buying insurance, compare what their policy offers. Actual Cost, policy length [could be 1 year renewable with increase or 4 years] , deductable for repairs, what is covered, what is not covered.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #3

Read the fine print. Many require annual inspections and have other limitations which will prevent you from collecting. Statistically you would usually be better off putting the money aside you would pay in premiums to cover any future failures.

I'm sure you will hear both sides here but in any case be careful and know what you have to do to maintain coverage.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Here is my thought about warranties:

Yesterday, (home) I woke up, had a good exercise worked out, jumped in the shower, burrrr Went to the basement, checked the 8 year old hot water heater with the 9 year warranty. "tank Must be cleaned and inspected twice a year with prof of inspecting rods".

Last week, evening news, new home warranties. Deductibles, must use in program repair services. Someone in Cleveland had a warranty but repair service would need to travel from Michigan.
I am not one that the Best Buy, Kmart and car dealerships make the extra perk dollars for selling these services.
Agree with others, read the terms and conditions. A really fun way to spend an an afternoon Not

PS Finally took a HOT shower, 9:30pm
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Hi and welcome. First, what you are considering is not a warrenty, these are insurance policies and the terms vary considerably. Use SEARCH to read many, many comments and experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyle View Post
We just bought our first preowned class c rv. There are many companies that offer theee polices.
How do you go about selecting one?

Thank you for your feedback.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Warrenty / Insurance

I agree with those who encourage you to read and reread the fine print. Do a google search and look at as many different ones as you can stand. Price will depend on year of RV, miles on it and of course, what is or is not covered. After a lot of looking went with Good Sam's for a one year period.

Went one year because the RV is 10 yrs old and 36,000 miles. Figured the first year of ownership will reveal any real weaknesses. After that--- ? Like all insurance, great if you ever need it - and - if you never use it, consider it an investment in peace of mind.

I guess if you are able to lay out several thousand should the need arise then repair / replace coverage is not needed...
megahurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I recently purchased a used RV as well and did a lot of research for a real warranty when the dealership said they would only offer a warranty on the "house" items. I wanted one that included a power train warranty as well.

First you should look for an Exclusionary warranty. That basically spells out exactly what the warranty won't cover. This is usually wear and tear items that you should be taking care of under normal proper maintenance.

Next you need to make sure their BBB score and customer ratings are in order. This gets a little challenging but if you know how to use a search engine you can usually get the right information.

Once you have a warranty company in mind have them send you a quote for the number of years/miles you want for you coverage and take a few days to look over the terms of the warranty. With the warranty I picked up there is no annual inspection requirement but you have to follow the RV's maintenance schedule. I recommend keeping a log of the maintenance you did/had done and keep the receipts so you have verification that any issue you file with the warranty company is readily documented. And make sure you file your claim with the warranty company before you take it in for repairs. They have to authorize your claim and repair facility before the work is done or they will deny you out right.

The company I ended up going with was wholesalewarranties.com and purchased a 2 year/24k mile warranty that covered the power train and house. It is an exclusionary warranty, has a high BBB and customer satisfaction rating (independently verified) and all the terms were clearly spelled out. This is my first motor home so the cost was worth the peace of mind to me.

And for the record I am in no way affiliated with this company and have not had to use them for any repairs as of yet but even if I never have to use them I would rather be prepared. I have dealt with warranty companies in the past and got bitten by the "snake in the grass" because they weaseled out of an engine that needed to be rebuilt because of what they said was an improper repair done by the dealership before I even bought the vehicle. That is why I made sure to have an independent prepurchase inspection done before I bought my motor home (I hope you did the same).

Good luck.
vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c