Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

how to get the fridg to?

Hello,

I just bought my family our first RV a 1996 coachman 24ft class c. I am trying to get the fridg to run off the genarator, but i am only able to get it to run off the propane at this time. Any info would be great? I have chck the plug behind the unit and it works. Thanks for your time and help.

Andy
transcend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Andy to irv2.
You may have a transfer switch not operating or in your electric bay where your electric cable is located you may see a 30 amp receptacle that your shore line will plug into.
When you plug this in the feed from Gen will supply the 110 for fridge.
You have the 12v's needed for control board in fridge so your ok there.
Congrats with your new RV, ENJOY.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Thanks, I checked the bay and did not see or feel a place to plug my shore line into. So it must be a switch, but where? Also can i drive while the propane is on? or will the wind blow it out?
transcend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of us drive with LP function on.
Have you got your fridge set to AUTO and when you run your Gen have you test any of your 110 outlets, is your Micro operating with Gen running?
What is your fridge name and model #?
Test both outlets for fridge to make sure its plugged into correct one if you have ice maker 1/2 of outlet maybe wired through inverter if you have one..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It is better to run on LP anyway.
No It won't Blow Out! To Test the 110 Electric, plug the Fridge into a regular AC Outlet using an extension cord. If It works that way You will need to check other circuits to determine why the Power isn't getting to the Fridge!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I understand that the electrical outlet behind the fridge (in the outside compartment) is working, Did you use a volt meter or did you plug in a lamp.. Try plugging in a lamp, I'd like at least a 100 watt lamp. If the lamp works normally then you have eliminated everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, up to the plug on the fridge itself

Now plug the fridge back in.. Using the volt meter measure voltage at the circuit board.. This tests the plug and cord.

Finally locate the electric heat element.... Now measure the voltage at the heat element (you may need to either turn the temp way down or let the fridge warm up)

This tests everything up to the heat element.. IF you have good voltage at the heat element.. it's the problem

If there is no voltage at the heat element start checking fuses and connections on the assorted circuit boards.. if all good, you have a bad board.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Hello,

I just bought my family our first RV a 1996 coachman 24ft class c. I am trying to get the fridg to run off the genarator, but i am only able to get it to run off the propane at this time. Any info would be great? I have chck the plug behind the unit and it works. Thanks for your time and help.

Andy
Please define your opinion it isn't working on electric...

Does the little indicator light on front of refrigerator indicate a problem? How long a period of time are you allowing for evidence of operation or cooling - takes a while on electric power.

IF the panel indicator is displaying normal function, and you have allowed a couple of hours for the electric element to start heating the refrigerant, but nothing happens (feel the coils at rear of refrigerator), THEN you need to do some of the above tests - but these RV refrigerators are NOT "instant-on" devices...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

We also keep a small thermometer in both the fridge and freezer to be able to check operating temps. Ours measure from -20 to +70 or so. I've found the freezer starts to cool quicker than the fridge box.