Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

How to Negotiate Price for a New Class C RV

I am new to RV's and this forum. I am looking to buy an RV, most likely Class C 29 footer. A quick look tells me there is not solid pricing or economy in this market... Full of MSRP, Listing Price, Selling price, Special Prices, call for quote etc....

In general there are three prices... 1) Asked, 2) Bid and 3) Bought. What is the slippage in the RV industry in general... example Lists for $80K, on sale for $70K what is it usually sold for? Sales lees 5%... 10%... more? Less?

Any insight into the market sales economics would be helpful...

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

You are heading into a good season for shopping in most of the country. Bear in mind the snow-bird factor but the majority of inventory will need to be winterized.
You'll need to acquire the MSRP build sheet(s) for the specific model(s) you're going to get bids on. This will more than likely have all the std. and opt. equipment prices listed. This will also enable you to accurately compare models currently in inventory at dealers so you can make intelligent offers.
At some point you may exhaust all current units currently in dealers inventories and decide to order a specifically equipped model.
Find out who the regional sales manager is and create a rapport with them. They will become a good source of information such as the true MSRP build sheet and as to various supply chain surpluses or short comings in their region. Expand regions as necessary. Send multiple bids to as many dealers as required to achieve your desired result.
Once an accurate MSRP is derived on a unit negotiate striving for 70% or whatever your situation will tolerate.
Fees will vary with particular dealer's PAC and individual state issues. Bids should be out the door price, Business agent could hit you with the usual extended warranty offers etc. similar to auto dealers poker face.

Best of luck.

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout40 View Post
I am new to RV's and this forum. I am looking to buy an RV, most likely Class C 29 footer. A quick look tells me there is not solid pricing or economy in this market... Full of MSRP, Listing Price, Selling price, Special Prices, call for quote etc....

In general there are three prices... 1) Asked, 2) Bid and 3) Bought. What is the slippage in the RV industry in general... example Lists for $80K, on sale for $70K what is it usually sold for? Sales lees 5%... 10%... more? Less?

Any insight into the market sales economics would be helpful...

Thanks.
If you are new to purchasing and RVs it can be pretty confusing. I would start with the NADA Guides. RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides
If you know what you are looking for or you have one your are looking at, put it is the search area with the year and it should bring up the model or a list of models to chose from. I don't bother with the extras, but the milage is useful as that can really change the price. There are three prices that will come up. One for what the coach was when it was brand-new, and a low current retail price and a high current retail price. Most RV dealers use these guides for pricing. This will give you a very good base line.

Once you are looking at the RV you really need to look for water damage. On class C's the front marker lights tend to leak if not taken care of properly. I would try to get a coach that had aluminum framing and wood laminated fibre glass walls. These can handle leaks much better than the wood framed units which normally have the aluminum siding. Wood is for sure cheaper though.

Check the tires and see if they are cracked. This can give you an idea how much the rig has sat around. If they are cracked and have get tire tread, it may not have moved much. Sitting around is not very good for RVs. If you are buying as a private sale, ask how often they used it and how far the trips were normally. Someone whom goes out every other weekend and travels a couple hours, and take care of the rig are normally the best ones to buy.

Check for soft spots on the floor, if it is fibre glass, look for delaminated areas. They will show as big bubbles in the fibre glass. This will mean there has been a long time water leak, or a huge leak. Be careful of these as you may get a nightmare. The quality of the roof is very important. People will put a rubber roof coating to cover up a crapy roof. They are very costly to replace so take your time.

RV'ing is awesome, I am sure you will get hooked once you get going.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #4

Sorry Scout, I assumed you were looking for used. New is easier MtnTrek gave pretty good advice for new. This time of year is good to grind the dealers down. If you find a 2016 you are interested in, you should be able to get a great deal.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #5

Check the prices listed on MHSRV website. If the dealer you are dealing with can't meet or better those prices, then make the trip to Alvarado.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #6

Thanks Guys

Thanks all for the quick response and excellent info. A quick check against the parameters especially the 70% of MSRP gave me strong correlation to that method plus another few thousand dollars of negotiating fudge to work with...

In other words in my check... if MSRP is $100k the quick check i did was dealers pricing their models at about $74k-$75k... leaving a $4k-$5k spread to the 70% discount rule of thumb... This allows the "great deal" from the dealers perspective taking off and additional $4k-$5k to do the deal... ending back at the MSRP less 30%... Isn't capitalism great?

Thanks.

Scout40
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Check for quotes from Redirect and RVW. Their sites will let you price options . Limited choices
Old 09-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
tcg

Watching those RV buying shows I always love how they go in give them a budget and then the first one they show is 40 grand over budget.

Then by the end of the show they get the over budget one for less than their original budget.

A friend of ours bought a brand new class c last year. They looked at one for 70 grand and got it out the door for 53,000.

What got me is we were in the same dealer a couple weeks earlier and I told them our budget was 50,000 cash and we wanted a class c, that same dealer said it wasn't possible.

Sorry, there is no advice in there just my experience.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

Order a new Lazy Daze. Pricing is very easy. ( Take it or leave it.) Supply is constrained by regulatory issues in a CA factory combined with high demand due to reputation for quality. (Length is 27' or 31')
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
Typically, on a new RV, you should offer 30% off MSRP and go from there. It works every time. On used, look at NADAGuides.com and use their current retail price as a guide.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
When I was pricing our Winnebago Navion last year, I went to rvone.com and they emailed me a no nonsense quote to which I could base my eventual price on.
I ended up being happy with the deal but not the dealer that was 150 miles away cuz all I have nearby are cw's.

My problem was that I had a class A trade.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
I would check the prices on the RV One site, They will give you a good idea of where you can be on a sale, I purchased from then since I received roughly 43% off sticker, Of course that is buying one off the lot. I purchased mine in September and picked it up in November due to my schedule. Good luck on your quest for the RV right for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN at CS.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	139545   Click image for larger version

Name:	In line duo.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	139546  

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKamperRV View Post
Typically, on a new RV, you should offer 30% off MSRP and go from there. It works every time. On used, look at NADAGuides.com and use their current retail price as a guide.
Try getting that on a Newell or Prevost conversion. When Country Coach was in business you couldn't get close to that off on a new one even at Lazy Days.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

We bought a new 2015 Thor Chateau 31W at the Tampa Florida Super Show. WE took 35% off the actual MSRP & ordered it on the spot. Buy New RV's at the show & order them to your build specs.. Don't Pay the Floor Plan interest on units sitting on your local dealers lot. Keep the profit in your pocket not the dealers... It doesn't matter where you buy Most dealers don't care about the customer so don't care about them either cut them off at the knees..

Tags
class c