Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

How to sanitize freshwater

Hi all,

Loving life every second weekend in our new 32' Minnie Winnie. All systems work great but I would like to sanitize my fresh water tank but not sure how to.
It only has a hose hook up, no slide out little tray to dump bleach into.
Anyone give me an idea on how to do this procedure.
Thank you
tonkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I used a plastic water bottle to put the bleach in and just poured it in the holding tank then added water. If that does not work a piece of hose with adapter hold hose up in the air and pour in the bleach then add the water. Hope this helps
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

Agree; we put a 1/4 cup of bleach into a 1 gallon bottle, pour that in, then right away fill the tank. You might not want to use 1/4 cup; we have a 105 gallon fresh water tank

Oh, and we use a funnel for pouring the bleached water in to try and make sure it doesn't get on the side of the coach.

Steve
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

I think the OP is saying there's no gravity fill. Pour the bleach into the hose, then connect the hose to the fill. That's how I do it.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I think the OP is saying there's no gravity fill. Pour the bleach into the hose, then connect the hose to the fill. That's how I do it.

X 2!
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #6

I found this information on line:
Tanks Clean as a Whistle

If you boondock away from city water, you will be glad to have a clean and safe fresh water tank. Sanitizing a fresh water tank is straightforward. First, determine the capacity of your fresh water tank, and bring it to near full of fresh water. The trick is to add a 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. However, to do this, you will not just dump bleach into the tank; rather get a container with a capacity of at least a quart. Bring the container near to full, and carefully add the requisite amount of bleach. Mix carefully, and funnel this diluted solution into your fresh water tank. Top off the tank with fresh water.

Now run your water pump and draw water through all fixtures until you smell the odor of chlorine. Everything should now be allowed to sit for at least three hours, and overnight if possible. Once the wait is over, drain the fresh water tank and "sweeten" it. After treating with chlorine (an alkaline), using baking soda (another alkaline) may not work as well as using the old vinegar trick.

Get yourself apple cider vinegar and, following the same physical procedures as for the bleach, add a quart of vinegar for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. Of course, you will need to "up the size" of your dilution container. Again, you are ahead to let the cider solution sit in the system for a few hours. Drain it out, add fresh water to the tank, and run the fixtures until the smell is gone.

Now you have a clean tank, keep it clean. Do not let your fresh water tank filler sit about without a proper cap. In hot, dry climates, you would be surprise how a trail of ants can sniff out your fresh water tank and attempt to infiltrate your RV "watering hole." It is a major headache clearing ants (or other contaminants) out of your tank--so much easier to keep them out in the first place.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Good advice! And I leaned about ants and water once when I camped in the woods by motorcycle. I let my backpack water bladder sit on the ground awhile - soon it was swarming with thirsty ants! Had a heck of a time cleaning them off without getting stung! I sure don't want them in the RV!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a pump to fill my water system with antifreeze that I purchased from Camping World part # 4411 and it will let you pump bleach into your potable water tank through the hose fill port.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
X's2
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same here. I link all of my fill hoses (4) and elevate the free end. Then I pour in the total amount of bleach for the tank in my MH then connect it to the spigot and turn it on until water just starts to flow out of the elevated end. With the spigot off I let the hoses sit for about an hour then connect it to the fresh water inlet and fill the tanks. now my house system and my hoses are clean.

Every few weeks I drain and fill my tanks simply by using the chlorinated city water at my home. That keeps things clean all season long
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV has a whole house filter in the wet bay. I remove the filter, fill the housing with bleach and then fill the tank. After the sanitizing procedure is complete, I install a new filter.

If you don't have a whole house filter on your RV, you can make up a portable one with parts and fittings from any hardware store. I see them being used in campgrounds all the time.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #12

Hopefully this isnt hi jacking the thread, but on a similar note, if we only use our RV once every few weeks, is it ok to leave the fresh water tanks full? Or should I drain them at the of each trip?

We use ours for weekend quick trips
stevertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #13

We leave water in the tank from Spring opening to Fall closing. If I'm worried I just add a bit of bleach. The Clorox web site has an article on how much to use based on your capacity. Reality is that you have a fairly closed system so the chances of getting something growing are small.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

We fill our water filter with Vinegar.....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water