Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Question How to sell our RV

Hi,
We are purchasing a new to us Class A and we will need to sell our old MH. We have it advertised on E-bay and Craigslist and a couple of other sites but we really would just like to sell it and get it overwith. Does anyone know the best way to go about this? We thought of consignment but we don't want to have to compete with new RV's and have it sit there for months while we are still paying for it. Any suggestions are appreciated. We're anxious to get on the road with our new Class A.
Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Why not try IRV2's own classified section? With all the members/users this site has there must be someone looking for a newish Winnebago.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I recall Route 66 (Dirk) sold or tried to sell his motorhome himself. He is one of the administrators on the forum and hopefully will see this and give you his experience. If not, you might try sending him a private message.

Good luck in the sell and enjoy the new W.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
After 6 months of trying to sell my MH by myself, I gave to Lee's RV Superstore in Oklahoma City on consignment.

Lee sold it 5 weeks and I netted about 2% less then I was expecting via my own efforts.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
What the Great Dane say's
Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #6

PPL motorhomes in Texas is a consignment only dealer. They seem to do a pretty good job. Give them a call. They will tell you what your coach is really going to sell for in todays situation. I just sold mine and had to sell it for 20k less than what I thought it was worth.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #7

Unless you have it overpriced I see no reason why you wouldn't get it sold via craigslist. I have bought and sold many items there and it did take over a week to sell our TT last year. Take plenty of pictures and price it based on the market not dealers. Be very discriptive in your ad and make sure you highlight the key points. You may need to lower the price. I have found that the reason most RV stay unsold is the price or they have an issue that is difficult to fix.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I listed a Class A on craigslist about a month ago... got a call from one person that was interested, got 4-5 e-mails from offers of less than 1/2 what I was asking, and multiple e-mails that were obvious scams... The MH was priced $25,000 below market price.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #9

Your photos do matter too. We viewed a lot of coaches, some were probably full timers. The coaches were so cluttered with the stuff of people's lives we didn't even consider those.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #10

RV Trader Online and Craigslist.

The vast majority of vehicles on ebay do not sell, do a search of completed listings. Take plenty of good photos, and write a decent ad. I'm always amazed at folks who write very vague or outright incorrect ads. Things like listing the wrong engine, CAT versus Cummins, that sort of thing. If a seller doesn't know what engine & equipment his coach has, he probably doesn't have a clue about proper operation or servicing. So, know what you have and communicate it ACCURATELY.
No one is interested in buying someone else's dirt. Clean the coach, then clean it again. If it doesn't literally look like new, clean it some more. Replace any cracked, broken, yellowed, or stained things. Any visible rust areas underneath? Wire brush and spray paint with black rustoleum. Get rid of any clunky old tube TV's and replace with inexpensive flat screens. Then thoroughly CLEAN the coach again. Think I'm overdoing the cleaning? NO ONE wants to buy someone else's dirt.

Pricing. If you actually want your coach to go away, better figure out what real sales prices for similar units are and price it accordingly. The vast majority of sellers I've encountered are in denial of how much their coach is really "worth". It is ONLY worth what a qualified buyer will pay. In this market, I've seen RV's languish on the market for months. When I sell one of our cars, boats, motorcycles or RVs, I make real sure I understand current market conditions and price accordingly. Of course, whatever I'm selling looks like new. Only one chance to make a first impression...

I'm not big on hiring someone else to sell things for me (except for real estate). If it's clean and well priced, it should sell in a reasonable period of time.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
PPL sold my 2010 TT last month for $900 less than I paid for it new in 2009. It took them 2 month and they do charge 10%. But I did not have to fool with the phony e mails and phone calls. To me it was worth it. Living in a smallish town I do not think I could have gotten that price.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We spent a year with Craig's list, and several other sites, a local small RV dealer and no success. We took ot to PPL Motorhomes consignment in Houston and it sold at more than we expected....high NADA retail.

Craig's list is a lot of bargain hunters and scam artist, so be careful there. E-Bait is geting a bad reputation as well.

I'd try the classifieds her and at RV Upgrades.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Thanks everybody. We have it VERY clean. I'm a clean freak, and I've scrubbed everything, cleaned the furniture, capets, fridge, stove, toliet, shower, sinks, etc. It's sparkling! We took lots of pictures and have them posted on the sites we are trying to sell it. My ebay auction just ended and the top bid was about 13K less than what we need to pay it off so the reserve was not met. I've only gotten a couple of emails from craigslist. I have heard of PPL and I might give them it a try. I think it would be worth it to me to not have to worry about it myself. Thanks for all the great advice! I love this site! I'm learning lots of things and love reading all the old forum posts. Keeps my dream alive.
Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #14

Underwater?

Ummm... Does not compute.

This response is based on information shown on your signature and in your post. Hopefully that information is incorrect...

Your signature indicates you own a '94 Rexhall 32'. Your last post says you got a bid $13,000 less than you owe. My guesstimate is that coach would possibly be worth about $13,000 at the very most. More likely around $11,000. So unless you were offered $0.00, you're not remotely realistic about it's actual market value.

What you owe is irrelevant to the coaches true market value. In essence, if you owed $100k, it still would not be worth than $11-13k. Assuming you actually do owe $13,000 on it, you don't have any real equity, and will have to pay cash out of pocket simply to make it go away... I truly hope I'm reading this wrong, because if I'm looking at it correctly, you've got a big problem.

Tags
selling class c winnebago