Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

HUBCAPS, "What am I doing wrong?"

Three times now, Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub Cap.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	132318over the course of 5 years, I have lost REAR hubcaps from both left and right rims. Front hubs stay put. I carry a rubber mallet and when I remember I do a walk-by looking for loose edges to tap. These are 16" Ford (2008 Frame) rims right from the factory. Including pictures. Thanks for any suggestions...Rich

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #2

Remove and paint the wheel's

Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
On some wheels you can run tie wraps through the holes in the wheel to secure the hubcaps. Home depot has metal tie wraps which would be less noticeable. A bother when removing them, but less inconvenient than losing the hubcap.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Remove and paint the wheel's
Do you mean "Remove, paint and never mind the hubcap?" If so, that is exactly what I've had in mind but darn if I'll take the wheel off to paint a rim...I'm pretty handy with a 3" brush.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #5

*why are my hubcaps falling off?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
On some wheels you can run tie wraps through the holes in the wheel to secure the hubcaps. Home depot has metal tie wraps which would be less noticeable. A bother when removing them, but less inconvenient than losing the hubcap.
Holligan~~Getting any kind of a wire/wrap through the outside dully would be a trick worthy of a B rate magician...Very little finger room between tires....BUT, you have given me an idea...Thank you...Why not drill a couple of 1/8 inch holes through the hubcap, thread a wire through one hole, then through the holes in the rim, back through the hubcap and install hubcap....Pull tight and twist tie outside loose ends. It won't look pretty but it's a sound functional fix.....Really, my big question is *WHY ARE MY HUBCAPS FALLING OFF?* I know it happens when I hit those big potholes but is this happening to everyone or do I have rims that do not marry well with the locking mechanism of the hubcaps?
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	132323
Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Your rims would make tie wraps difficult. It is a easy fix on the Sprinter wheel. both the wheel and cover have the small holes. (which also makes valve stems hard to access)

Any way to tighten the "grip" part of your covers?
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #7

Roads most traveled

"Any way to tighten the "grip" part of your covers? "

Hooilgan, I totally relied on the gripping mechanisms that came with the hub caps. Two different kinds of gripping appendages, both involving heavy duty spring wire too heavy for me to modify. One type looked much better than the other, *pointed where it contacted the rim*...It too popped off and is in a ditch somewhere along a highway....Just do know why others are not loosing their hub caps at the same rate as I am. Maybe I should stay on the roads most traveled??
Old 07-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your idea of making s could holes to secure through sounds doable. Safety wire and safety wire pliers would be inconspicuous and readily snug up tight.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Offset wheels flex alot. The standard wheel covers that are held in by friction and spring fingers are very prone to coming off. I have read of it happening a good number of times.

My first suggestion is to permanently remove them, that is what I did on my Sprinter. I think Ford makes hub covers that cover the ugly parts and leave the rim exposed, that is a second option (find a cargo van or similar in junkyard) third option is to get some covers that are retained with screws or "lugnuts" such as the Real Wheels ones.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

I have removed mine. Needed to check the air in my tires. those things did not want to come off. they really scratched the rims, Thinking about Plasti dip in flat black. Also not a fan of sharp edges
Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
I have removed mine. Needed to check the air in my tires. those things did not want to come off. they really scratched the rims, Thinking about Plasti dip in flat black. Also not a fan of sharp edges
Sikoriko~~~Yes sir, my hub caps are secured, beat on with a rubber mallet. I'm still wondering how they would "pop off" when hitting a pot hole....That's the only thing I can think of that would make the hub caps exit the rim without prying them off with a screwdriver.... *** Hmmm?? Could I have been a victim of theft?*** I doubt it, those hubcaps make a terrible screech when being removed and would have woke even me, the "snore like a drunk lion" guy. I'm still wanting to commiserate with someone that looses hubcaps from 16", Ford factory rims. My rims are Ford factory circa 2008
Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #12

The only thing that comes to mind is the rim is flexing under stress.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
Three times now, Attachment 132318over the course of 5 years, I have lost REAR hubcaps from both left and right rims. Front hubs stay put. I carry a rubber mallet and when I remember I do a walk-by looking for loose edges to tap. These are 16" Ford (2008 Frame) rims right from the factory. Including pictures. Thanks for any suggestions...Rich
Is this a picture of the rear wheel cover ?

My MH is older but that style is only used on the front wheels.

The rear wheel covers sit inside the wheel, taking the same shape. My tire valve extensions come thru the holes.

Did it come new like that or did you buy it used ?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is this a picture of the rear wheel cover ?

My MH is older but that style is only used on the front wheels.

The rear wheel covers sit inside the wheel, taking the same shape. My tire valve extensions come thru the holes.

Did it come new like that or did you buy it used ?
Twinboat~~All wheel covers are the same. They are what came from the factory, new purchase.

I will find and try the wheel covers that sit inside the wheel, I know what you mean.

Thanks for your help, Rich