Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

HWH Leveling System

Morning!

I was at a Flyball tournament this weekend and I have no power to my HWH Leveling System. I have what I think is the troubleshooting guide pulled up and reading...but when there is no power there is no information.
I think this was an after market add-on in my rig so my first question is where is the control box usually mounted? I looked when I stop for gas but did not see anything under the drivers side dash. I want to make sure all my fuses are good before I go any further troubleshooting unless someone knows why there is no power!

Thanks,
Susan

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dogs View Post
Morning!

I was at a Flyball tournament this weekend and I have no power to my HWH Leveling System. I have what I think is the troubleshooting guide pulled up and reading...but when there is no power there is no information.
I think this was an after market add-on in my rig so my first question is where is the control box usually mounted? I looked when I stop for gas but did not see anything under the drivers side dash. I want to make sure all my fuses are good before I go any further troubleshooting unless someone knows why there is no power!

Thanks,
Susan
Try looking on the frame rails. That is where they are often mounted. I take it that your normal procedure for leveling is to have the engine running or at least have the key in the ACC position? Look for a loose ground or corrosion in the connectors when you find the control box. Hope you find your problem and a quick solution for it.

Rick Y
Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Try looking on the frame rails. That is where they are often mounted. I take it that your normal procedure for leveling is to have the engine running or at least have the key in the ACC position? Look for a loose ground or corrosion in the connectors when you find the control box. Hope you find your problem and a quick solution for it.

Rick Y
Thanks Rick I will check that this weekend!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

My HWH levelers control boxes are located on the frame rails. they have a plexiglass window so you can see the circuit boards and everything. you have to crawl under and look forward to see the electronics and controllers. they are just behind my steps.
Tootmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

I sold my Class C with the HWH setup on it. I know in my case, the HWH levelers would not work unless I was in park with the engine on. My control box was mounted below and to the left of the steering wheel on the dash, and the hydraulics were in a storage compartment on the passenger side.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure which HWH model you have, but one thing to check...

If your control panel has a screw in each corner, unscrew and gently pull up/out on the panel. There should be a 5-pin cable attached to the back, sometimes these come loose. The control box can be just about anywhere but is usually on a front frame rail or near the hydraulics. The plexiglass cover should allow you to see the lights that indicate power etc. Pretty well documented in the owners manual.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Also check E Brake. Has to be set. Could also be bad electrical contact on the EB.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Not sure which HWH model you have, but one thing to check...

If your control panel has a screw in each corner, unscrew and gently pull up/out on the panel. There should be a 5-pin cable attached to the back, sometimes these come loose. The control box can be just about anywhere but is usually on a front frame rail or near the hydraulics. The plexiglass cover should allow you to see the lights that indicate power etc. Pretty well documented in the owners manual.
This was it!!! Thank you so much Ed..There is no play at all in the harness and it was half way off the pins. I might take the time and add about 3" so it won't pull so much.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
This was it!!! Thank you so much Ed..There is no play at all in the harness and it was half way off the pins. I might take the time and add about 3" so it won't pull so much.
Great news!

With some work you may be able to pull some slack from the harness. I have see times when the route the installer took used too much wire. Relocating it gave more breathing room. This was with other repairs I have done over the years and not directly related to your situation. I did have a clip pop off on my last coach and had a time getting it back on. Totally forgot about that till this moment.

A permanent fix for you will give you peace of mind and make you a much happier camper.

Rick Y
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Great news!

With some work you may be able to pull some slack from the harness.

Rick Y
I tried some Rick...I followed it all the way to where they routed under the kick panel and along the floor and could not get any slack ...at this point it may just be easier to cut, solder and add instead of trying to find slack.

Susan

Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I tried some Rick...I followed it all the way to where they routed under the kick panel and along the floor and could not get any slack ...at this point it may just be easier to cut, solder and add instead of trying to find slack.

Susan
Have you tried a cable stretcher? How did it work for this long? What changed?? Who knows at this point. If cut and splice works than that is what you need to do. Are the connector pins clean? Could cause another problem later on if not.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

I'm not sure if they have had problems when it was new or not Rick. It is working now, but I am betting a good pothole will jar it loose. At least I know what the issue is and can reach my hand between the steering wheel and console and reconnect!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not sure if they have had problems when it was new or not Rick. It is working now, but I am betting a good pothole will jar it loose. At least I know what the issue is and can reach my hand between the steering wheel and console and reconnect!
At least you have an easy fix when/if it happens again. If you are in AL now I would be more concerned with the mini ice age.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dead HWH, need to do manual retract

Good info here on this, thanks.
We have similar problem ('02 Winne Journey DL), started leveling when the unit quit; got jacks up but no action to get slides in. A mobile RV repair guy happened to be in the area and checked it out, found same results we already thought we had. Power to the pump unit and lights come on for the leveling control panel but nothing happens when we run switches. We checked the fuses by the pump unit and in the control box that is located under the dash on the firewall. (DUMB location) almost impossible to access.

Anyway, we need to manually retract the slides to go to repair shop. I'm struggling to identify which valves to open for which slide. I can see all of them but no idea as to which ones go where. I know the jacks have the ones with the t-handle valves. Can I open all 4 with the 1/4" nut and retract slides, than close all again after slides are in?

Thanks for any assistance.

Tags
hwh, leveling