Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

Ordered our rig with the Bigfoot levelers based on conversation on this site and I am very glad I did. We are still new, but we have enjoyed just pushing the button and letting the system do the rest. My memories from TT days gone by involved setting up in the rain and being covered in mud after getting the levelers set under the trailer after unhitching. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helps build e confidence in making selections from the long list of available options that await us.
Mbylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbylone View Post
Ordered our rig with the Bigfoot levelers based on conversation on this site and I am very glad I did. We are still new, but we have enjoyed just pushing the button and letting the system do the rest. My memories from TT days gone by involved setting up in the rain and being covered in mud after getting the levelers set under the trailer after unhitching. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helps build e confidence in making selections from the long list of available options that await us.
I was happy to hear you went with bigfoot. I always tried to talk my customers into bigfoot jacks. I like the fact that each jack has its own pump. If a pump goes out, you still can use the other three. I love the fact that it is power up and power down. If you have a jack bind or a jack bend slightly, if it is spring retracting, it will not come up. (out comes the 2x4 and prying the jack back up) With the bigfoot, you just hit the button and that baby is going to be powered up. I installed the bigfoot on my personal coach and never had a problem in six years.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #17

ga traveler -

You seem like you have a lot of knowledge so I'm going to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind...

Quadra Jacks makes two systems:
  • EZ series with one central pump
  • Bigfoot series with four pumps
The Bigfoot series has a lifetime cylinder warranty while the EZ series has only a 1 year cylinder warranty. So it would seem the Bigfoot series is more bulletproof if they're standing behind it that much more.

But the Bigfoot series is about $1100 more than the EZ series.

Is it worth it? I don't know if this matters but we use the unit primarily weekends only in the summer months with 1 - 2 week long trips per year.

Thanks for any input you have!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
Big class A with air bags on all 4 need to dump the air.
Why?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
ga traveler -

You seem like you have a lot of knowledge so I'm going to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind...

The Bigfoot series has a lifetime cylinder warranty while the EZ series has only a 1 year cylinder warranty. So it would seem the Bigfoot series is more bulletproof if they're standing behind it that much more.

Is it worth it? I don't know if this matters but we use the unit primarily weekends only in the summer months with 1 - 2 week long trips per year.

Go with the Bigfoot. As I have stated before, I am a bigfoot fan. I tried for five years to get Bob Tiffin to install Bigfoot jacks on the Allegro motorhomes. the reason I like the Bigfoot is the power up and down. They use a bildge pump, designed for large boats, to power the jacks. The pumps are designed for long life and almost never fail. I believe you will get back about half the difference in price at trade in time.( that cuts the difference to five hundred.) Believe me when it is rainy and cold outside and you don't find yourself out in the mud and cold fighting a stuck jack, You will be glad you got the Bigfoot.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why?
You dump the air because the airbags raise the coach several inches. That is several inches (four to ten inches) You don't have to raise the low end. It keeps the step from being high off the ground.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
ga traveler -

The bigfoot levelers also have a central pump option that is not automatic, but it is a manual leveling system that is power up and down as well. It was for me about $1,000 more for the automatic system with the pumps on every jack compared to the manual system with the central pump. You still get the 3 year warranty, just no automatic leveling, which for me was not worth the $1,000 when instead you can still just push buttons and in less than 5 minutes be ready to go.
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker6 View Post
The bigfoot levelers also have a central pump option
Actually, that isn't true.

Bigfoot Series = 4 pumps.

EZ Series = 1 central pump.

Here are the prices I was quoted directly from Quadra Jacks:
  • Bigfoot Series (4 pumps); automatic - $3460
  • Bigfoot Series (4 pumps); manual - $3310
  • Bigfoot Series (1 pump); automatic - didn't get a price for this
  • EZ Series (1 pump); manual - $2190
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Actually, that isn't true.

Bigfoot Series = 4 pumps.

EZ Series = 1 central pump.

Here are the prices I was quoted directly from Quadra Jacks:
  • Bigfoot Series (4 pumps); automatic - $3460
  • Bigfoot Series (4 pumps); manual - $3310
  • Bigfoot Series (1 pump); automatic - didn't get a price for this
  • EZ Series (1 pump); manual - $2190
I stand corrected. I went back to their website and looked I am putting the EZ Series on my class C. They are all made by the same company, so therefore I considered them 'bigfoot'. Alas I did not think the 1,000 dollars was worth the automatic option, so therefore I went with the cheaper version. It would be hard to tell just looking at pictures on the internet which one would be built heavier and last longer. Although the EZ series is rated for 8,000 lbs/jack which would take quite a class C to over do that.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #24

beeker6 -

It sounds like you're in the same spot I am. Although I believe you've already made your decision & I'm not quite there yet. I think I'm leaning toward Bigfoot series manual.

Bigfoot series because, as I understand it, EZ series has lines running under the unit from the one pump to each of the jacks. People on the internet say there is more risk for a line being damaged. Makes sense. But I would assume they tuck the lines up & away as much as possible to minimize the risk.

Also the Bigfoot series warranty is quite a bit better.

Regarding automatic / manual, I've read some comments on the internet that the automatic can get wacky at times (just needs to be recalibrated) so figure controlling your own destiny with manual is fine & doesn't take that long.

Honestly, we've been able to get fairly level sites, so I'm mostly looking for something to stabilize the unit as we rock around quite a bit (probably doesn't help that we have a 31 ft unit + a couple kids that can't sit or lie still!).

Are you going up to Quadra's facility in Michigan? We are in southern Ohio, just under 5 hrs away, so planning to go there & have them do the install.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I would think that if you were to take along with you 4- 2"x 4" x 16" blocks of wood to put under your jacks you may not have any trouble raising them rain or shine.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
beeker6 -

It sounds like you're in the same spot I am. Although I believe you've already made your decision & I'm not quite there yet. I think I'm leaning toward Bigfoot series manual.

Bigfoot series because, as I understand it, EZ series has lines running under the unit from the one pump to each of the jacks. People on the internet say there is more risk for a line being damaged. Makes sense. But I would assume they tuck the lines up & away as much as possible to minimize the risk.

Also the Bigfoot series warranty is quite a bit better.

Regarding automatic / manual, I've read some comments on the internet that the automatic can get wacky at times (just needs to be recalibrated) so figure controlling your own destiny with manual is fine & doesn't take that long.

Honestly, we've been able to get fairly level sites, so I'm mostly looking for something to stabilize the unit as we rock around quite a bit (probably doesn't help that we have a 31 ft unit + a couple kids that can't sit or lie still!).

Are you going up to Quadra's facility in Michigan? We are in southern Ohio, just under 5 hrs away, so planning to go there & have them do the install.
I also looked at Bulleye electric jacks. They really impressed me and if I had the room for a straight ram on my MH I would have went with them. They are the same price as the EZ system from Bigfoot I found anyway. They are also automatic, have about the same amount of lifting power, had a good warranty, easy to install(with just wires), and were a little lighter if I remember right. The downside is if you do not have enough room between the MH and ground you need fold down jacks and I was not comfortable with those.

I am going to have a local repair shop here put them on. They voluanteered to do it for the same price as they would out in MI, just have to pay an extra $200 in shipping. It is about a 12 hour drive one way for me to MI, and we are planning on going to visit the family in MI next summer so I could have waited. Also thought with the install being local they would also have to be able to cover the warranty on the levelers as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #27

I'm not an Rv tech. But I believe the reason for the dump is that a comp operated bag will build pressure as weight is taken of when jacks r raised. And then when lowered would b over pressurized u would not have that issue.
Skilldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilldog View Post
I'm not an Rv tech. But I believe the reason for the dump is that a comp operated bag will build pressure as weight is taken of when jacks r raised. And then when lowered would b over pressurized u would not have that issue.
The reason for the dump is to lower the height of the high end. Airbags make a coach ride 4 to 6 inches higher than deflated. That is 4 to 6 inches you don't need to bring the low end up. The height sensors on the control valve let the air out of the bag as the jack lifts the motorhome up. So overinflation is not a problem.

Tags
jacks