Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hydraulic Jacks

Hey everyone, been reading this site for awhile now, but finally I had a question that is something I cannot get answered without some help.

I am looking at putting hydraulic levelers on my class c. I have air bags on the back that does not have a compressor attached to them, just use an air chuck to fill them. I have been told by different people that I need to have an air dump and therefore need a compressor set up(or drop all the air out manually every time) in order to put hydraulic levelers on. Is this true or can I leave the psi in the airbags when I use the levelers?

I mean the compressor is another 500 dollars to put on with labor and parts, and I didn't really think I needed it as I check the tires on the rv every time we leave for a trip anyway and I carry a small portable compressor along for bike tires that I have used on occasion to fill the airbags when I have dumped them for getting level on a site, so I am really not sure if I want to spend the extra money.

Thanks in advance.
beeker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've put those levers on class C 's and left the bags just like it was your going to use the jacks to level only so I say your fine but I would like to hear what others think also. I'm sure there is pros and cons on this issue
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When leveling, all you're really doing is lifting the frame a bit, taking weight off the suspension. For the life of me, I can't see how that would have any negative affect on the air bags.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Those air bags are for leveling. Have them on our class C. They are for ride and handling. Put whatever jacks you can afford on.

Big class A with air bags on all 4 need to dump the air.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

I have air bags on my Winnebago Outlook and automatic levelers. I never dump my air bag air before leveling and have never had an issue. I run 35-55#'s depending on load.

I carry a small 12 volt compressor that gives me 75#'s of air in short order. Cost me $30 at Harbor Freight. Have had compressor for two years. Takes care of bicycle tires also. It weighs less than three pounds.

No need for $500 compressor.
Sparky1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #6

Air bags.

Hi everyone, I also don't feel a need for an extra air compressor for air bags, once I put 30 - 35 psi of air pressure it stays that way for months.
I never release the air from air bags when using hydraulic leveling system, the only thing you have to remember is not to lift the rear axle above ground, at this point you would lose your parking brake - it's very important with folding style jack systems.

On my 2001 Itasca 29n I use Ride-Rite Firestone air bags - rear only, and HWH leveling system - four corners.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks

I just ordered my Bigfoot levlers. They are suppose to be put on at the end of December. Pretty excited to see once how solid the coach is once they are up compared to nothing before other than blocks to back up onto. I went with the cheaper remote system rather than automatic since I don't think it will take much to level it once you have the system in place the extra $1,000 dollars will come in handy elsewhere. I also looked at Bulleyes electric jacks, but needed the scissors jacks and they were about $400.00 higher than this hydraulic system. The Bulleyes were automatic, but the repair shop had some reservations about going with flip down jacks compared to just a straight ram. Thanks again for your imput.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Had my Bigfoots installed last Spring and LUV EM! I also passed on the Automatic and level with ease!!! Enjoy!
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

One of our friends had a Class A with folding jacks. When he was on an incline they used to fold up on him. Usually at night. Did not haave to be much of an incline either.

I have only had straight down on all my MH's.
Power Gear on one, than Big Foot on another one. Last two Winnies came with HWH.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #10

Folding jacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
One of our friends had a Class A with folding jacks. When he was on an incline they used to fold up on him. Usually at night. Did not haave to be much of an incline either.

Power Gear on one, than Big Foot on another one. Last two Winnies came with HWH.

This is possible only if there is hydrulic leak in the system.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post

I got a pretty good chuckle out of that comment of folding jacks in the middle of the night. I image the 1st time would leave you wondering what the heck just happened. LOL
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
This is possible only if there is hydrulic leak in the system.
this is not true. HWH kick down jacks had a drive off feature. If you forgot to let them up and drove forward, they would fold up. However, if you brought the rear up enough to clear the ground, the park brake would not work and the coach will fall off the jacks. I have had it happen a half dozen times.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as you do not lift the rear wheels, the air bags on the back are fine. They are for leveling under load and not for leveling while parked. Put what ever leveling jacks you need on your C and enjoy them and do not listen to the people with class A air suspension rigs.

The folding HWH levelers work fine. But with any rig, ALWAYS chock at least one set of wheels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

Rolling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
this is not true. HWH kick down jacks had a drive off feature. If you forgot to let them up and drove forward, they would fold up. However, if you brought the rear up enough to clear the ground, the park brake would not work and the coach will fall off the jacks. I have had it happen a half dozen times.
Yes you're right, but I already mentioned this above in the post #6

Tags
jacks