Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #1

I have electrical problem with my RV

Hi there
I have electrical problem with my RV . The housing batteries do not charge with engine run. I replace the solenoid. And both batteries but the problem still exist. The output in the chassis battery is 14. But in the housing 12.66 with the engine run. My RV is sun seeker 24 feet 2010 with ford chassis.
Gentlemen what should I do? I am really need your help .i am looking forward for the right answer.
Please do not hesitate to E mail me with any description you need. hyd9195@yahoo.com

Sincerely.

Yousef Al-AAmri

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

This solution could benefit a lots of us so please post the solution.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

You say you changed the solenoid. You need to check, whatever controls the solenoid.

They are sometimes, controlled by a voltage sensing control board. It senses charging voltage from the alternator and sends a signal to the solenoid, to close.

With the engine running and 13.5 volts on the engine battery, there should be power, to the small wire, of the solenoid.

If there is power, you should see 13.5 volts on both big posts.

If there is no power to the small wire, follow it back to the circuit board or small box, it goes to, and see if there is a fuse or loose connection.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

thanks twinboat

yes i changed the solenoid. because it was very hot engine run but even that the batteries could not charged . but the new one was not hot . but still the problem is exist if you pleased send me any link show me how to check voltage sensing control board.
my problem there is no one in my country can fix this type of vehicle . so any little info will be the best for me , i am really need your help
thanks for you and for everybody
Old 06-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #5

A hot solenoid is normal, but that only means it is getting power to activate. The internal contacts burn and stop conducting electricity.

Now, if its not getting hot (Warm) , you did something wrong.

Is it an exact replacement solenoid, or just looks the same?

It needs to be a continuous duty solenoid. If it has 2 small posts, 1 goes to ground ( - ) and the other to batt +. You can test by putting batt + to the post that does NOT go to ground. The solenoid should engage ( clunk) .
If It does, leave it engaged and start it up and see if both batteries are charging.

I don't have details of your voltage sensing control, but some basic troubleshooting may get you right.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought. Check to see if your salesman switch is off. If it is, then maybe that's your problem.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

Don't the house batteries charge from the converter and the chassis (starting) battery charges when vehicle running?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

heidorn39,

It is obvious not the case here.

If , after running down the house batteries, overnight, while not plugged in, almost all mororhomes recharge them, from the engine charging system.

They also keep them charged while driving, so you can leave stuff on.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Jim T.,

If the salesman switch was off, he wouldn't have any 12 volts, in the house.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok. I stand corrected. Obviously, I didn't think it through thoroughly. 😳

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidorn39 View Post
Don't the house batteries charge from the converter and the chassis (starting) battery charges when vehicle running?
Well yes and no.

Motor homes can be built that way and may have been long long ago (I do not know of any) but

Most motor homes today fall into one of two groups

Type 1: Converter charges house.. Engine alternator charges both Chassis and House via an isolator solenoid (relay)

Type two. Both converter AND Alternator charge both House AND chassis batteries via a BIDIRECTIONAL Isolator Relay Device (BIRD controller.. actually the D stands for Delay but for this post Device works bettter)

A blown 5 amp fuse will disable it.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

thank you so much all of you guys you for advice .

twinboat.
i replace it because it is the same shape . because The place where i purchased it. they Did not know what is characteristics and why is used .
now i am going to put back the old one. and i will do the continuity check . i will start from the first Square
if you have better idea please let me know .
remember i have now couple of brand new batteries
thank you so much
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #13

hyd9591
What is the year/make/model of your RV?
(IMO That is important info to include with any question if you expect a correct answer).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

My RV class c is sun seeker. forst river 24 feet 2010 with ford chassis.

Tags
electrical