Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I need advice

On July 1 my wife and I bought our Jayco Greyhawk 31FS and were scheduled to pick it up on the 8th of July. When I arrived the radio unit which is more of an onboard computer was completely non functional. My radio is also my rear view camera, side view camera, DVD player for the main TV, navigation, weather service and a few other things. It is a Magnadyne M1-LCD. I took the camper from the dealership in Orlando to Disney for 2 nights and right back with a full punch list. The dealership told me that all was going well two weeks later so I scheduled a second shakedown weekend at Disney.
The radio still was not fixed and Jayco said that Magnadyne no longer makes the radio. They aren’t going to use Magnadyne anymore instead they will be going to a Clarion unit. I was told that I was going to get a Clarion. A week later when the no radio came in I called Jayco and the parts guy told me that I wasn’t getting a Clarion but a Magnadyne M4-LCD. It is a slightly better unit. I asked to speak to the person who told me that I was getting a Clarion and he told me that he wasn’t going to give me one because they would have to change other things in the coach. I know they want to save some money and all but I am losing my cool. I was assured that the new radio would ship on the 10th or the 11th of August.
On the 16th of August I went in to check on the progress and the dealership told me that it would be 2 to 3 more weeks as the radio was on back-order. I have made a payment on the coach already and spent a great deal of money getting it outfitted. I am even paying rental on a parking spot for it that I can’t use. I told the guy I at Jayco that I was considering the lemon law and he told me that I didn’t have a case as they made coaches for years without cameras. I pointed out that they made cars without seat belts and collapsible steering columns but we all have them now. He told me that Jayco doesn’t consider it to be a safety issue.
The owner of the dealership called Jayco because he could see that I was not in a very good mood. He spoke with the top man in the company and he claimed that Jayco was going to overnight a radio. I got a call today and they said no radio was in the UPS. I called Jayco and the parts department said they knew nothing about any radio being shipped overnight to anyone. I called the dealership and they said they would look into it. I later got a call saying that Jayco was going to ship them the external GPS unit. I told them that wasn’t the problem it was the main unit and they later called back to say that the people who they need to talk too had gone home for the day.
My question is should I just turn this over to the lawyers who assure me that I am well within my rights to lemon law the vehicle or should I bight the bullet and wait until the parts aren’t on back-order? I will point out that they are producing new units every day but refuse to ship one of those radios to me and the dealership can’t pull one of the radios from one of theirs. They estimate that it will be at least 2 more weeks before the radio gets to them. To me it is a safety issue and it still sits at the dealership.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

I feel for you my Friend. I just bought a new one but so far no problems. I would insist they pull one from another RV on their lot and let them wait for the replacement.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did but it is against Jayco policy as all of their parts are connected by serial numbers. So they won't even give me a temporary camera unit.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From your description I assume this is a Motor Home... Thus, you are eligable for membership in FMCA.

FMCA has a "Department" which is basically dedicated to handling this kind of complaint,, You send them a letter or E-mail. Basically a copy of your original post with the name and address of the dealer included.

They will contact the dealer and verify what you said above (I assume they WILL verifiy it) and then they will... Kick some Jayco behind, as it were.

The power of the press.. makes courts look tame.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have yet to see a Lemon Law the covers the house part of a MH for non safety related issues. In fact most don't cover anything but the chassis and then only for safety related issues and a non-functional camera or radio wouldn't qualify.

All the FMCA (or Good Sam) can do is ask, they have no force of law. And I can see Jayco's not wanting to rewire the rig to use a different unit.

An attorney that says you have a good case may just want money in his pocket!!

Here's the link to the FL Lemon Law

It does NOT cover the living portions of an RV and the chassis only for safety related issues so it appears you're out of luck there. Plus it only covers new or demonstrator units and you don't say if it's a new or used unit. Oh yes, even if it was a covered item it also gives the manufacturer three tries to fix it, you haven't even had one try yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would send a written complaint directly to Jayco with a copy to the dealer. Clearly out line the problem and the newness of the motorhome. Give them a reasonable deadline to address each complaint and complete the repairs.

There is no reason to drag out fixing something like this. demand that Jayco factory get the proper parts to the dealer via air freight at their cost.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have yet to see a Lemon Law the covers the house part of a MH for non safety related issues. In fact most don't cover anything but the chassis and then only for safety related issues and a non-functional camera or radio wouldn't qualify.

All the FMCA (or Good Sam) can do is ask, they have no force of law. And I can see Jayco's not wanting to rewire the rig to use a different unit.

An attorney that says you have a good case may just want money in his pocket!!

Here's the link to the FL Lemon Law

It does NOT cover the living portions of an RV and the chassis only for safety related issues so it appears you're out of luck there. Plus it only covers new or demonstrator units and you don't say if it's a new or used unit. Oh yes, even if it was a covered item it also gives the manufacturer three tries to fix it, you haven't even had one try yet.
I contacted the state board for the Florida Lemon Law and told them my plight three weeks ago. They told me that a normal coach sound system is not covered but since mine is also my rear camera viewer it qualifies the same as my rear view mirror which makes under the eyes of Florida a safety issue and not part of the living quarters. The lemon law does have the three attempt rule but it also has the fifteen day rule.
“Under Florida Lemon Law, you must notify each manufacturer that may provide warranty coverage of the problem with your RV after the third repair attempt or after the vehicle has been out of service for 15 days, and give the manufacturer(s) the opportunity to fix the problems one last time.”
My wife contacted a Florida lemon law attorney and they said via e-mail “Based upon the information you've provided, we believe you may have a valid claim under both state law and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.”
So there is no doubt that I could send it back to the factory with the lawyers behind me. My concern is having to start all over I do rather like the idea of the outside organization suggested that will attack Jayco for me. You cannot lemon law a used coach in any state even if the vehicle has repurchased by the lemon law from the original owner.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The excitement of getting the new rig sometime get's in the way of finalizing the deal. The last thing they would have seen from me was the check for the rig until it was to my satisfication. You would have seen how quick it would have been taken care of then. I'm not here to bash anyone but stuff like this upsets me. As posted earlier I think the attorney is lurking for some money. I didn't read the post on the lemon law but in your case you should before hiring the attorney for some big $$$$. Hope you get this resolved in a positive manner soon. If anything it is getting out some shady dealing on the part of the mfr. and the dealer. A certified letter to both as mentioned earlier would be a good idea as well. The more documentation you have could help later if things don't go right but again I hope that doesn't happen. Good Luck!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a call from the dealership this morning. They said that all parts that I need will be next day aired specifying MORNING DELIVERY. So hopefully my next post will be about the good time I had camping in St. Augustine FL.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have reached the point of feeling like the purchase of the RV was a bad idea all together. The radio they shipped mostly worked. The rear view camera and side view cameras are still not working at all. I took the RV to St. Augustine anyway and my son got to visit his national monument to fulfill his requirement for his merit badge. The generator stalled and when I called the service department to tell them they informed me that I had to take that up with Cummins Onan. So now when and if I get to take it home I have to stop by the Ford dealership to get a vent cover put in then over to the generator dealer to get it fixed.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you're having so much trouble. You seem to be on top of the legal options and I can't help you there but IMO this entire thing is completely unacceptable and Jayco and your dealer should have a bright light put on them to help them see their way.

We don't allow vendor bashing on the forum but you've stated the facts very objectively and all who read this thread will now probably be cautious about doing business with Jayco. Letters to the BBB might be another approach as well as options like the FMCA or Good Sam's action line.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m sorry I didn’t start this thread to bash either the dealership or Jayco. I did a great deal of research before I bought my coach and in my opinion Jayco still makes the superior coach. When you lemon law a vehicle you have several options available to you and one of them is to get a new vehicle equipped the same way. That is the option I would choose as the rest of the coach works flawlessly. The dealership has taken care of the rest of my punch list without exception. My misfortune was that I bought at the end of a model year and Jayco is using a different radio in the 2012’s than they did in the 2011’s.
The radio that is in my coach isn’t made anymore period so they have to find a suitable replacement and Jayco doesn’t want to rewire my entire coach to put in the new brand. The reason I posted this was to get the pulse as to when I should say enough is enough and hit them up for a new coach. It was never really a statement about Jayco and in hindsight I guess I should have omitted any name brands.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #13

I feel you 100% correct by listing the brand. If they do not stand up and treat you as a valued customer after the sale, we the readers of this forum need to know about it. Anyone that tells you not to list the BRAND must have a vested interest in that brand or receive some other benifit. I hope JACO wakes up and corrects their issues on this coach. If not then tell everyone this is the only way to let them know you are serious. It is all about money if they see this negative press could cost them more then your replacement parts they will fix it fast.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #14

You have extracted a full measure of justice from Jayco and your dealer by posting this and the details. It would run me off as a potential buyer. In my life I just do not need those kind of problems. The o/p that said he would not write the check, good advice, but in the RV world, we all know the gremlins do not always make their presence known until you write the check. First, you will never get the chance to find out about them if the check isn't written up front. Jayco has been in business for a long time, I think you will get full satisfaction from them in time.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote