Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #43

How come this is turning into a personal attack?

If you don't believe him, fine...don't believe him, but give the personal attacks a rest as I ,for one, am tired of reading the lack of class shown on this thread.

There's a way to disagree, like a gentleman, and make all the points that have made without making derragatory, sarcastic and insulting comments to WinnebagoDRVR.

Phoenix, AZ
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep the discussion civil here folks. Attacks on other members are not tolerated. We are all grown up and are supposed to be adults, so let's watch the comments.

Ken

Old 07-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #45

I'm not worried about it.

Unless they've driven both themselves I discount their opinion anyhow.

Everyone I've talked to (over 20 people now) that has driven both? The Chevy wins hands down in every aspect short of towing capacity.

I'm just saying if someone's going to buy a rig, do yourself a favor and drive both. I almost went the default Ford route by just looking at numbers and would have been sorry.

Numbers don't always tell the tale...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #46

That is not the point. It is simply that the HP and torque numbers posted by RPM were WRONG and can and were demonstrated to be wrong (mathematically impossible and anyone with the slightest knowledge of this area can understand that).

Everything else is judgmental and subject to personal opinion - which is fine.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #47

You can ONLT drive both if the MH MFG. uses both chassis. Many are still only useing the Ford chass right now.

So I go with a Ford or go without!! Bicker Bicker Bicker Getting like RV.Net.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Hehe . . . Ford vs Chevy! Just like the good old days

Mom, Apple Pie, Ford vs Chevy.

God Bless the USA

By the way - Fords are better
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #49
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
You can ONLY drive both if the MH MFG. uses both chassis. Many are still only using the Ford chassis right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2008 Winnebago Outlook
Shown on the GM/WCC Class C Chassis

2008 Itasca Spirit
Shown on the Ford E-450 Class C Chassis

Both these units are built on 14,050 GVW chassis and anyone can take either out for a test drive and derive their own conclusions.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #50

Yes DriVer. But Winn. does not offer the Aspect on anything but the Ford.

What you show is not what we were looking at. Did not want the cab over bunk dead weight (air Dam)

So far our Aspect 29H is working well for us.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #51
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
So far our Aspect 29H is working well for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You betcha! Congratulations on your new rig!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #52

DriVer
All I can say. Is it is hard for a Chevy/Workhorse man to switch to a Ford.

But sometimes you got to trade off to get what you want. Tell them boys in the front office. They need to push that Chevy/WCC chassis more.

Where I come from up north. Ford and IH only ran out in the plowed fields behind J.Deere.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #53
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Tell them boys in the front office. They need to push that Chevy/WCC chassis more.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rvten, They're doing the best they can in fact the GM/WCC Class C during this last year had a double digit growth slightly impacting sales from the other camp.

The Chevy-Workhorse partnerships has translated into a leap from a 9.6 percent to 19.9 percent market share for the cutaway chassis during the above time frame, based on vehicle registration data compiled by Statistical Surveys, Inc., of Grand Rapids, Mich.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #54

I often wonder just how safe some of those 6.0 Chev units are with their 3500 lb towing capacity - which sure limits toad selection IMO. I know of one owner who is towing a Durango behind his. He finds stopping difficult. Is it any wonder?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #55

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Shadow:
I often wonder just how safe some of those 6.0 Chev units are with their 3500 lb towing capacity - which sure limits toad selection IMO. I know of one owner who is towing a Durango behind his. He finds stopping difficult. Is it any wonder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most popular toads fall below 3500 pounds empty so it is not much of an issue.

Brakes are not an issue as they are sized as the Ford's. The limitation is due to the frame extension and Chevy being more conservative.

And by the way, with an average curb weight of 5132 on the Durango, you shouldn't tow it with the Ford either.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #56

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Komvee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Shadow:
I often wonder just how safe some of those 6.0 Chev units are with their 3500 lb towing capacity - which sure limits toad selection IMO. I know of one owner who is towing a Durango behind his. He finds stopping difficult. Is it any wonder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most popular toads fall below 3500 pounds empty so it is not much of an issue.

Brakes are not an issue as they are sized as the Ford's. The limitation is due to the frame extension and Chevy being more conservative.

And by the way, with an average curb weight of 5132 on the Durango, you shouldn't tow it with the Ford either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are wrong on both counts. According to the Dodge site basic curb weight is 4647 lbs for the Durango. So this guys 2wd unit is under 5000 - but not by much. He has to have the BB set to very sensitive.

Second, what does the empty weight have to do with the weight of the toad? - it is the weight that you are actually towing. Many owners of smaller MH's that I know (which is what we are talking about here - smaller with very limited external storage)have their toads stuffed full of things they can't get in there unit when they head south for the winter.

I think we've gone through this before. A 2007 CRV is OVER 3500 lbs, as is the Vue, - and many others. Talking about year 2000 models is meaningless. The 3500 lbs is minimal towing capacity pure and simple, but some seem to keep on trying to put a good face on it. If it was as simple as a frame extension that would be easy to change and IMO would have been changed. Try most of the mechanicals for that limit. That is precisely the reason I went for some beef when I downsized.