Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #57

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it was as simple as a frame extension that would be easy to change and IMO would have been changed. Try most of the mechanicals for that limit. That is precisely the reason I went for some beef when I downsized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. If it were the mechanicals, the stock 3500 Express/Savanna wouldn't be able to tow up to 9700 pounds with the 6.0 gas engine now would it.

My 2007 CRV is listed in the door at 3387 - AWD model.

And I don't stuff things in my toad so I am in limits.

I don't know why you are so defensive. If your Ford suits you that's great. Just trying to point out that if you don't have to tow over 3500 pounds, there is no reason to follow the sheep and buy a Ford before looking at the Chevy chassis.

It runs cooler, quieter, smoother, is more comfortable, gets better mileage, and handles excellent fully loaded stock.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #58

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WinnebagoDRVR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it was as simple as a frame extension that would be easy to change and IMO would have been changed. Try most of the mechanicals for that limit. That is precisely the reason I went for some beef when I downsized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. If it were the mechanicals, the stock 3500 Express/Savanna wouldn't be able to tow up to 9700 pounds with the 6.0 gas engine now would it.

My 2007 CRV is listed in the door at 3387 - SWD model. AWD does hit 3530.

And I don't stuff things in my toad so I am in limits.

I don't know why you are so defensive. If your Ford suits you that's great. Just trying to point out that if you don't have to tow over 3500 pounds, there is no reason to follow the sheep and buy a Ford before looking at the Chevy chassis.

It runs cooler, quieter, smoother, is more comfortable, gets better mileage, and handles excellent fully loaded stock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 AM   #59

Methinks you have it backwards DRVR.

I'm trying to be even handed and reasonable - what are you trying to be, a Chev evangelist?

Here is my driveway - would you be kind enough to point out the FORD. I must have missed something when I bought them.
My driveway

Now, from the Honda web site for the CRV. First number in each pair is 2wd and second is 4WD. So, if one gets a 4WD it starts life over 3500 lbs. Or, has Honda posted the wrong numbers (like you did for HP and Torque) but you know better than they do and have the correct numbers?

Curb Weight (lbs., 2WD/4WD) 3389 / 3501 3415 / 3532 3433 / 3549

Honda web site - weights for CRV

IMO anyone who restricts themselves to 3500 lb for towing should simply recognize that they eliminate a number of desireable toads. If they already have a towable, then they should be careful what they buy if it weighs more than 3500 lbs. When I bought the Tahoe it was being towed by an ISC 330/950 in a 2006 Ambassador with 10,000 lb tow capacity. When I decided to downsize I had to make a decision - dump the almost new Tahoe or the 06 Equinox and get a lighter towable - or get something that can tow the Tahoe.

Buyer knowledge and caution are meaningful in this process or it could get very costly and dangerous. I have a feeling that there may be a great awakening coming in state and provincial transport departments - and that is towing limits involving RVs. I've seen many MHs towing huge loads in closed trailers that very likely put them over their GCWR (sadly many are race drivers and they are using older motorhomes with very limited towing capacity - some have made an effort to strengthen them and others haven't. Every month I spend 4 days at a track in Mi and get to take a close look at many older units.).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 AM   #60

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WinnebagoDRVR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess you didn't think this one through very far did you? When you stick the V10 into a truck how much can it tow? MUCH more than 9700 lbs - MUCH more depending on the particular line. Same with the 8.1L that I have in my Kodiak.

What you are missing is that thing called a house that they put on the chassis. It has a bad habit of soaking up a lot of the towing capacity. Put a house on the Express/Savanna and wave goodbye to your towing capacity.

My Kodiak when loaded with the MH and our stuff so that it is at its GVWR, can only tow 6500 lbs before it reaches its GCWR even though it has a 10,000 lb hitch. If you leave the MH off of the chassis it could tow the 10,000 lbs and more yet with a stronger hitch.

The GVWR and the GCWR are based on a lot of things and chassis extensions are only one of them.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #61

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guess you didn't think this one through very far did you? When you stick the V10 into a truck how much can it tow? MUCH more than 9700 lbs - MUCH more depending on the particular line. Same with the 8.1L that I have in my Kodiak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The E450 van has virtually the same tow rating as the Chevy 3500 van.

Conclusion, Chevy 3500 - mechanically it can tow just as much as the E450.

I have been told by two GM reps that the reduction is from the frame extension and is an extra safety precaution that GM chose to implement. They may change it, but I think for the majority of RV's 3500 pounds is enough.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #62

This is such a fun thread!

Let me see if I have the scorecard right:

Towing -&gt; Ford
Comfort -&gt; Chevy
Noise suppression -&gt; Chevy
Cool doghouse -&gt; Chevy
Gas mileage -&gt; Chevy
Handling -&gt; Chevy
Looks -&gt; Chevy

Hmmmmmmm...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #63

Ah, now it is very clear, you are a Russian figure skating judge.

Judgment is, of course, a euphemism for random behavior.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #64

Would you by some chance mean an E350 rather than E450? Could you find me a site with an E450 that isn't a cutaway used for a school bus or MH?

I just can't seem to find an E450 Van or pickup. F450 yes, but not E450.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM   #65

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just can't seem to find an E450 Van or pickup. F450 yes, but not E450. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me either. Here is the complete list by Ford.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...series9-18.pdf
Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #66

Here are some differences, Towing is probably the same, the E450 has some different configs:

http://www.fordtrucksonline.com/new-...0-chassies.htm

Sounds like the E450 is cutaway only, larger fuel tank... Etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #67

'08 model may pull up to 10K:

"and up to 10,000 lbs. towing on Cutaways"