Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 AM   #1

Question Info on Euro-type Class C?

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a 1st rig. The smaller, affordable types like the WGO Trend, CM Orion and Dynamax Rev are likely choices at this time. Are their MPG's really as good as claimed? Or should I look into buying a used Sprinter-based RV instead? Please share any info and/or experience you have with these models. TIA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi RVNewbie,
I've got a 2015 Trend that we've put about 5000 miles on so far. According to the trip computer we have averaged 15mpg on several trips. That's door to door, mixed interstate and back roads sightseeing. A lot depends on the type of travel you plan to do with it. Highway or two lane back roads. I've seen the instant mpg hold a steady 17mpg on flat 2 lane at 55mph and 13mpg at 70mph on a flat stretch of interstate.

The trend handles very nice and is big enough for the two of us. A lot depends on which one has the features you're looking for.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Did u see any diesel powered Trends when you were shopping? Some how I thought I saw some listed by a few dealers online. I may have imagined it as the WGO Trend brochure now doesn't list diesel as an option. Or do I have to wait until Spring for the WGO Fuse and other Transit-based RV's to get to the dealers?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our Trend last fall. The dealer only had the gas version. The diesels were rare in the Promasters at the Dodge dealers then. I also thought I saw the diesel option on the Winnebago website. I would be interested to see how the diesel performs with the Trend. I would hope that it would hold speed on the interstate without downshifting on slight hills like the V-6. That would be my only complaint on the Trend. I would like to see a change in gear ratio in tow- haul mode.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
mre

We rented a Fiat based motorhome (Dodge Promaster) with a diesel and a 6 speed manual this year in Europe. We lived in it for 9 1/2 weeks and drove 6100+ miles through all sorts of terrain. While I was not particularly impressed with the Fiat as a whole, I really liked the diesel power. No trouble climbing steep grades. Mileage was between 18-26.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What an awesome trip Ed. I'll have to look for one of the diesel Trends. If Winnebago can get that kind of mileage here I might have to trade up.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinYur View Post
What an awesome trip Ed. I'll have to look for one of the diesel Trends. If Winnebago can get that kind of mileage here I might have to trade up.
Look at the frame behind the rear axle. In Europe, that part of the frame looked like it was added after the chassis was built. If I remember, I think it was a "Z" frame and kind of looked lightweight. My guess they do this type of thing based on the aftermarket application. See if you are satisfied with what you see. I have about 8k on Sprinter based motorhomes overseas. They are more expensive but also more heavy duty. That would be my choice.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #8

On some of the European Ducato based motor homes they will add a second rear axle to create a longer RV and add carrying capacity. That can't really be done on a Sprinter or Ford Transit RV.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
On some of the European Ducato based motor homes they will add a second rear axle to create a longer RV and add carrying capacity. That can't really be done on a Sprinter or Ford Transit RV.
I have seen a several of those. While I didn't get up to close, it looks like tag tires wear quicker. My guess that are on a straight axle and the tires don't turn or lift.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Look at the frame behind the rear axle. In Europe, that part of the frame looked like it was added after the chassis was built. If I remember, I think it was a "Z" frame and kind of looked lightweight. My guess they do this type of thing based on the aftermarket application. See if you are satisfied with what you see. I have about 8k on Sprinter based motorhomes overseas. They are more expensive but also more heavy duty. That would be my choice.
The Trend has a steel box beam inserted into and bolted to the frame right above the rear spring support. It also has an extra 6 to 8 inch wide flat piece of steel welded to the bottom of the beam. It looks more substantial than the "Z" frame that you describe.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Look at the frame behind the rear axle. In Europe, that part of the frame looked like it was added after the chassis was built. If I remember, I think it was a "Z" frame and kind of looked lightweight....
Just imagine what you'll see if you go looking under most US made Class-C RVs ! ?? !

Some of those 31-37 footers would make me nervous. This is where brand quality comes into play but most people never look past the price.

Tags
class c