Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Input on Coachmen Concord 2009 27ft

We have been reading and researching for some time looking for a MH. Have managed to narrow down some choices and want to get a class C. Today we saw a Coachman Concord 27 ft 2009 with two slides that we liked. Have to get some more info and do a bit more research, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has any general info on experiences with this type of MH? TPO roof pros/cons (better than rubber?)
Thanks for any input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #2

I can answer the roofing question. The TPO will last better than "rubber". I am a commercial roofer by trade and deal with them daily. The TPO is more chemical resistant and more UV resistant that most of the EPDM (rubber). We have started the search for a B+ or a C. Currently looking at the Coachmen Concord. We like we see. On a used unit or new unit for that matter, I strongly recommend going over it with a PDI list and then make your decision. We have been shopping for close to a year now, both new and used units. Getting close.

What I have learned over the years:
  • Pick a floor plan
  • Have YOUR list of needs and wants
  • Pick a dealer you can work with
  • Then choose the brand
  • PDI is a must

FWIW this next purchase will be #10 or #11 in over 35 years. Many years ago I would buy used, keep them for a season then sell them, usually at a profit. Now i am keeping them longer.

Aaron

Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We own a Coachman 2009 Freelander.

Just something to be aware of. This was the time frame that they were about to go under and got bought. The buyer(Warren Buffett) did not pay them for the computer records or IT property because it has been reported that they thought they were asking to much. This means that records and most plans etc. for this time frame are few and far between.

Though the people at Coachman have been very helpful a lot of their information provided has been after they have been provided answers to a lot of questions by me because their records are spotty.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Thanks so much for info!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We owned a coachman concord several years ago. It was a 2010, v-10. I liked the way it drove, and we we pulled a 2-dor Wrangler. I think we would have kept it a little longer except for the size of the bathroom. It was just too small! Whatever you buy used, go over that roof with a magnifying glass!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two MH's with TPO (BriteTek) roofs. Never had a puncture nor any other problem with them. We did find that the BriteTek was quieter than the fiberglass in the rain. I would wash the roof usually twice a year and apply 303 to it as well as the domes and skylight. After 13 years the last rig's roof still looked pretty close to new and would have looked better if I had really scrubbed it.
I'd almost rather have a BriteTek roof than our full fiberglass we now have due to the extra noise from the rain. The BriteTek roof does have a fabric backing that may help cut down the noise though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Concord roof

In the discussion about the type of roof and noise in the rain, maybe there is some kind of coating that can be applied to the roof to reduce the noise level. Some 2016 models have a fiberglass roof. Don't know if the BriteTek is quieter than fiberglass. Camping World used to sell a white brush on coating for the roof but don't know if it was for sealing or insulation (sun).

We had a class A with fiberglass roof and during rain it was so noisy we could not hear the tv much less carry on a conversation.

Thanks

Wayne
Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeldo View Post
In the discussion about the type of roof and noise in the rain, maybe there is some kind of coating that can be applied to the roof to reduce the noise level. Some 2016 models have a fiberglass roof. Don't know if the BriteTek is quieter than fiberglass. Camping World used to sell a white brush on coating for the roof but don't know if it was for sealing or insulation (sun).

We had a class A with fiberglass roof and during rain it was so noisy we could not hear the tv much less carry on a conversation.

Thanks

Wayne
Typically a membrane roof is going to be quieter than a hard surface roof. Coatings will help. I had an Airstream and it was extremely noisy in a hard rain. Coated the top center panel with an elastomeric rubber coating (Truuco) and it made a huge difference in the noise level, also helped keep it cooler.

Aaron
Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We just bought new concord DS it's 33ft and we love it. We looked for 2 yrs and made the rounds. We pull 2 door jeep jk and the v-10 pulls like a horse. The new 6 speed tranny does a great job on the hills can't even tell jeeps behind us. Drives with one finger all day long wind or not.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Found a MH!

Thanks for all the input. We did manage to find a MH at Lazy days in Tampa and brought it home towing our car. We ended up with a Forest River Sunseeker 2015 3050S and are very pleased with it. Ended up with a fiberglass roof, knowing it might be a bit noisier in rain, but with hearing loss, hoping it won't be too bothersome. It was in good shape with 12,000 miles and many extras that we would have had to add ourselves, but now we can just start enjoying our travels when my husband retires in less than 2 months.....happy campers! Already took it on a scenic detour on I-75 N and it did very well; had good power even with towing our car.
Thanks again!
Dottedlines

Tags
coachmen