Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Install New Center Hub on 2012 MH on Mercedes Sprinter zchassis

When I bought new rear dual tires for my 2012 Itasca Navion iQ which is on a Mercedes 3500 chassis, the tire dealer did not replace one of the stainless steel chrome center hubs correctly. It apparently fell off within the first 100 miles. I’ve bought a replacement but have no idea how to install it so the same thing doesn’t happen. I did read somewhere that once installed it shouldn’t just come off easily by hand. I don’t know whether it would be safe to use a rubber mallet or if that could damage it. I also don’t know if it clicks into place or if it has to be rotated at all. I haven’t found any videos showing how to do this (at least as far as I could find). As you can tell, I’m a complete novice attempting anything like this which is probably easy to do if you know what you’re doing. The replacement wasn’t cheap so I don’t want to mess up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sandi
monik7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I used a plastic, lead filled mallet. You want to make sure that the edge is fully seated on the wheel. I've removed mine and I am planning to paint the wheel at some point.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

I believe you are referencing the stainless steel "Wheel simulators" that fill up the entire steel tire rim, correct? Not just the very center of that, right? They go on just like a trim ring or hubcap - metal tabs along the outer edge engage inside the steel rim. I purchased a hubcap tool - see https://www.zoro.com/steelman-hub-ca...RoCXlsQAvD_BwE - or just google "hubcap tool" - they cost about $15 - combination pry tool for removal and rubber mallet for installation. To avoid losing the wheel simulators I run several plastic zip ties thru the holes in the simulator and the holes in the steel Sprinter wheels. Keeps them from working loose. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for your reply, but I’m referring to the Alcoa stainless steel center hub which is in the middle of the Alcoa stainless steel wheel. Not wheel simulators. I had no problem for almost 5 years. Then when I got new duals, one of the center hubs came off on my first trip afterwards. So I’m worried about getting the replacement on well enough so it won’t come off. Still looking for suggestions. I just can’t imagine why a guy at the tire place couldn’t do it right, but maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.
Sandi
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

You should join the Sprinter forum, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10. I have a leisure travel van Unity and find the group extremely helpful on all things Sprinter RV.
I have the steel wheels with the Alcoa Chrome Simulators/Hub cap. To install you take a rubber mallet and get it fitted in with just a part sticking up/out. You whack it a few times around the edge area that's out until it pops in. There should be no gap between to Simulator and steel wheel rim. You might need to hit around the entire edge to get seated properly. You need to hit it hard and its okay because the rubber mallet won't hurt it. haven't heard of just the center raised part falling off. Only the entire Simulator/hub cap. You can get a new one on Ebay for $90, https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINTER-VA...NS1tLA&vxp=mtr. Most Sprinter Owners use 2-3 SST Cable ties, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...T-10/203531940, evenly placed to maintain balance, to secure the Simulators to the wheels as an added precaution. They also come in opaque and black. These Simulators are notorious for just popping off when driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160301_103858-800x450.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	196452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160301_110502-800x450.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	196453  

Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks so much for your description of attaching the center hub. Guess I head out today to get a rubber mallet. I don’t have the simulator since I have the stainless steel wheels.

Tags
chassis, install