Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #1

Inverter

I just bought a new (2012) Jayco Greyhawk DS2 Class C Motorhome that has a factory installed 400 watt (the owners manual says it's a 1,000 watt as does the inverter control panel), inverter. There is only 1 12V deep cycle battery (mounted on a small slide out tray. My questions are, how does it work, how many hours can I watch the TV without the gen or shore power, is it a 400 watt or 1,000 watt, and lastly is there a way to add more batteries (obviosly would have to somehow manufacture a tray for maybe 4 batteries and mount it on the MH frame somewhere) I appologize up front for all the questions but, the folks on this website have provided a wealth knowledge and hopefully someone has run into this issue and may be able to answer my questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's 2 new owners reporting in 2 days that they got a single 12volt for the house from the factory...the other was a Thor Daybreak:
Auxiliary Battery

Does this strike anyone else as nickel and dime stuff? Sure you can upgrade to twin 6volts for only about $90 each (Price I paid at Costco last month for their standard 6 volt battery), and sure the dealer could offer the upgrade at sale (like my last TT dealer did) but really?

These folks did not buy some cheapo rig...Jayco and Thor are built fairly well and have a fair price. I'm just saying...

For the OP, there's no way for anyone to guess at the time your house battery will run your TV because of the different loads that different TV's draw, and there is also a load placed by the inverter itself...plus there is often an amplifier in the TV switch box that you may need to run for a clear signal (not counting if you are gonna use a SAT receiver). You will just have to give it a try and watch the monitor panel for the condition of the battery.

BTW: Smaller inverters are more effecient than larger ones supplying low loads...a 400Watt will run your TV longer than a 1000W. It's not a BIG differemce but there is a difference.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ozzy-

The only way to know for sure the watts on the inverter is to locate it, see if the wattage is listed on it or, get the mfg name and model number and locate their website. If it is a 400w, it probably only runs the outlet where the TV is, allowing for a DVR too. If it is a 1000w, there may be 1 more outlet however, you wouldn't want to run any power hungry 110v items on it.

Assuming you have at least a LCD TV, it probably doesn't use more than 50w. My 28 inch LED uses about 25w. I would say with a fully charged battery, you could overnight without problems watching TV several hours. You of course want to monitor battery voltage. In warm weather, you dont want the voltage to go below 12.0 v, which is 50% discharged. Going below that or leaving in that state will shorten it's life. Unless your coach has a digital readout, I would get a volt meter, actually you should always have one on board.

You can add batteries anywhere outside of the living area. Provided that area is vented to get rid of the explosive and corroding gases. Also, the further they are away from the 12v control center, the larger the cables must be to eliminate voltage drop.

To give some idea what you can do, my coach has two 6v golf cart batteries. I have replaced all interior lights with LED. My 2 TVs are LEDs and run them on 12v, I have no inverter. We go at least 48 hrs without starting the genny.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Scarab-

I noticed that too and it's a sad state of affairs. Things must really be bad for a mfg to put out any coach that may go dead overnight. Especially since many of these folks have never owned an RV before.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

Inverter

Thank you guys very much for all your input and wisdom. I to thought it was pretty cheap that Jayco would only put 1 12V deep cycle battery in the coach. I am going to look into mounting 2 or 4 6V batteries somewhere on my coach, I realy want to be able to watch TV/DVD without using the gen and putting so many hours on it. Once again thanks for your input.

Ozzy
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suggest start with 2 six volt batteries and see if it suits your needs. That should give you over 100 useable amp/hours for watching TV. Most newer TV's draw appx 5-8 a/h's which means at least 12 hours of TV time.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzypd95 View Post
I just bought a new (2012) Jayco Greyhawk DS2 Class C Motorhome that has a factory installed 400 watt (the owners manual says it's a 1,000 watt as does the inverter control panel), inverter. There is only 1 12V deep cycle battery (mounted on a small slide out tray. My questions are, how does it work, how many hours can I watch the TV without the gen or shore power, is it a 400 watt or 1,000 watt, and lastly is there a way to add more batteries (obviosly would have to somehow manufacture a tray for maybe 4 batteries and mount it on the MH frame somewhere) I appologize up front for all the questions but, the folks on this website have provided a wealth knowledge and hopefully someone has run into this issue and may be able to answer my questions.
We just had a second group 27 12v battery installed on our 2011 jayco greyhawk 31ds. The compartment just forward of the slide out battery tray has plenty of room.
To answer your question regarding the 32 inch tv on the inverter, I have never had an issue watching tv on a single overnight. The item that really seems to draw down the single battery are all of the recessed lights that jayco uses.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
The item that really seems to draw down the single battery are all of the recessed lights that jayco uses.
A single incandescent bulb will use about 1 amp. A comparable LED bulb will use 0.1 amp and produce almost no heat. I recently replaced all incandescent and florescent lighting with LED, the battery energy savings were amazing!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To answer the O/P's question: NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION.

First, the battery: What size, Group 25, 27, 29, 31, 4-D 8-D all common sizes used in RV's of one kind or another, all store different amounts of power.

Second the inverter: only way to be sure is to read it's label, alas can't help you there

Next the TV, likewise need to know it's current demands.

From there on it is fairly simple math.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Thanks all, you guys provided me with some good usable information. PSW 757, what type and wattage of inverter did your Jayco 31 DS come with, is it a 400 or 1,000 watt inverter??

Tags
inverter