Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Inverter

Newbie here preparing for an Alaska trip in Jun e. Really, really confused about the invertor. In simple terms, what does it do? Mine is positioned by the TV. Should it be 'On' all the time? Can it be 'On' when the generator is running? Can I cook a crockpot meal while traveling with the invertor 'On'? Thanks so much

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jimtheec,

Normally the inverter is off, unless you are camping off your batteries and wish to use 110v appliances. The second part of the question is a little harder to answer. Inverters come in all output ranges (from very small- less than 100 watts, to large- over 2,000 watts). It would help to state what kind of rv you have. Here's a battery drain calculator that would be handy to use no matter what size your inverter is:

Battery Usage & Drain Calculator

Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry,

I forgot to try to answer some of the other things. The inverter in simple terms changes battery (d/c) current to a/c -household or 110v current. It does this by means of taking your battery current and making house current. It can quickly deplete your house batterie(s) depending on the output load you apply (the bigger the load, the faster you'll discharge the batteries.) You could use your crock pot (a yummy idea) as you're traveling down the road, but I think a better way is to use your converter instead (by using an on board generator.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Thank you. Which appliances are 110 volt? So if I run the generator, the invertor should be OFF. And the invertor should be ON when the generator is OFF to run things?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Thank you, now it makes sense. Takes battery power and converts to house power. Got it. Thank you
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

BTW, have a 2005 Itasca Spirit, 31 foot, Class C
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice rig,

You'll have alot of fun. Alaska is a big deal travel wise- have you checked out John Holud's blog or some of the Alaska-related stuff here on irv2? You will have a ton of fun and your travel window is rapidly approaching. I have not done Alaska personally and I'm not sure it's on my bucket list but nonetheless it's on my radar. Here's a start:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...65397613,d.aWw
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

Thanks for the Alaska info
Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the inverter is near the TV. then I suspect it powers the entainerment center (TV, Radio, Sat Receiver, DVR, Blue Ray/DVD, and so on) and not much of anything else.

I would turn it on before turning on anything in the center.. The power from the inverter (Hopefully) will be clean and pure and of the proper voltage... Power from shore.. .. Varies, likewise the generator.

Likely the inverter is a pass through model which means it will go to standby if there is a bigger 120v source floating about (Generator or shore power) and by leaving it on...

Well, I have a big one, 2KW, it can cook my dinner, shave my chinny-chin-chin, And power the TV and related electronics.

When I trip the park breaker.. TV does not even blink, the inverter takes over that fast.. Kind of like a UPS.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Thanks

Tags
inverter