Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Inverter/House batteries

I have searched Hi & Low, Left & Right for my inverter & house batteries with no luck. Could the inverter be built into the fuse panel, could the house be running off of the marine battery that starts Gen? 27' 1978 Dodge Monaco Sportsman. THANKYOU IN ADVANCE , for any help...AL
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will have a house battery and a chassis battery which starts and supports the truck engine. The engine or chassis battery is located in the engine compartment up front. I doubt that you have an inverter which converts 12 volts to 120 volts AC. You do hav a battery charger or converter which converts the 120 AC which the unit is plugged into 120 AC and the converter also charges the house battery. So if you found a marine battery somewhere in the coach you have all the batteries located. As for the converter is will be near the house battery.

Now, what is your problem? We possibly can fix problems.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: DO you have an inverter? Building it into the fuse panel would be very rare, INverters come in two by two by two flavors. For this discussion the only twos that apply are BIG and small, Stand-alone or Inline

BIG inverters need BIG 12 volt wires and thus are usually mounted near (But not in the same air space) as the batteries.. Which on many motor homes are under the steps by the way.. Many does not equal all.

Small ones can be anywhere.

Stand along take 12 volts in one end and 120 volts out, usually, the other.

IN-LINE can either take 12 in and 120 out, or 120 in and 12 out. (IF 120vac Shore/Generator power is present)

Two 120 volt wires and one 12 volt pair. So if you found your converter, it might.. and I stress MIGHT be your inverter, if you have one.

Not all RV's have inverters.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My house batteriers are under my entrance steps. They are accessed by unscrewing 2 quarter-sized rubber thingys on the top of the second step. The top of the step lifts off to reveal a battery compartment.

If you will put the year and type of RV in your signiture it will help us give you better answers. Just click on "user cp" in the top left corner of every page and go to signiture to add your info.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
You will have a house battery and a chassis battery which starts and supports the truck engine. The engine or chassis battery is located in the engine compartment up front. I doubt that you have an inverter which converts 12 volts to 120 volts AC. You do hav a battery charger or converter which converts the 120 AC which the unit is plugged into 120 AC and the converter also charges the house battery. So if you found a marine battery somewhere in the coach you have all the batteries located. As for the converter is will be near the house battery.

Now, what is your problem? We possibly can fix problems.
THANKYOU in advance for your assistance. When the vehicle is off I have 12.38 at chassis, 9.38 @ house /marine and 9.38 @ Gen, when running I have 14.31 @ chassis, 14.10 @ house and 14.14 @ Gen. The Gen won't start unless vehicle is running, I have been plugged in at the pole for two weeks. Bad house battery? I still can't find a charger or converter ... Again THANKYOU for your time. AL
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A~N~A View Post
THANKYOU in advance for your assistance. When the vehicle is off I have 12.38 at chassis, 9.38 @ house /marine and 9.38 @ Gen, when running I have 14.31 @ chassis, 14.10 @ house and 14.14 @ Gen. The Gen won't start unless vehicle is running, I have been plugged in at the pole for two weeks. Bad house battery? I still can't find a charger or converter ... Again THANKYOU for your time. AL
Could the alternator charge chassis &house? Again. THANKYOU
Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

from looking at your picture i would guess you have a class c similar to mine and you are probably right the house battery is toast, had to replace mine when i got mine last year.
with the rig running you should have very close to same voltage at both batteries and when keyed off should still be close after it has time to charge up.
pull your house battery out and have it checked it will be under the hood, mine is on the drivers side don't know on yours,they take alot of abuse by being run down to low, we are told at work that any thing below 10.5 is costing many charging cycles of life.
we run low voltage disconnects to protect our batteries they shut of the draw to protect the batteries and to insure they will start, haven't looked for one for the mh yet.
i run a constant duty solenoid to charge and isolate mine it will let my house battery charge to full voltage some use a battery isolator but the will not let you get full voltage, they usually cost you between .5 to .75 volts on total charge,doesn't sound like much but makes a real difference when dry camping.
happy travel
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bad house bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
from looking at your picture i would guess you have a class c similar to mine and you are probably right the house battery is toast, had to replace mine when i got mine last year.
with the rig running you should have very close to same voltage at both batteries and when keyed off should still be close after it has time to charge up.
pull your house battery out and have it checked it will be under the hood, mine is on the drivers side don't know on yours,they take alot of abuse by being run down to low, we are told at work that any thing below 10.5 is costing many charging cycles of life.
we run low voltage disconnects to protect our batteries they shut of the draw to protect the batteries and to insure they will start, haven't looked for one for the mh yet.
i run a constant duty solenoid to charge and isolate mine it will let my house battery charge to full voltage some use a battery isolator but the will not let you get full voltage, they usually cost you between .5 to .75 volts on total charge,doesn't sound like much but makes a real difference when dry camping.
happy travel
THANKYOU, you were entirely correct, bad cell in house battery. Your information was VERY helpful and informative.

Tags
batteries