Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Is it common to stop at weigh station to get accurate weight of rig?

Hi

We just purchased a 2104 Four Winds Siesta 29 TB. We are considering purchasing a new Chevy Equinox as a toad.

From what I have read, the rig will probably have a "towing capacity" of 5,000 lbs. I think I understand that the actual towing capacity will be the stated maximum gross weight of the RV, minus the actual weight. Is that correct?

If so, is it common to take your motorhome through an interstate weigh station to see what the actual weight of your RV is?
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Not really , best to find a scale at a truck stop , they are not as busy and you'll have the time to get front and rear axle weights rather than just a whole vehicle total. There is usually a charge , but you get the info you need.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #3

There's a lot of information both pro and con to your question about your vehicles weight added to your coach. Since there's no tongue weight on your coach then depending on your coach specifications, it can tow up to the rated weight.

Most interstate weigh stations that are operated by the Highway Patrol don't allow RV's (At least that's the case in Calif.) Just about every truck stop has a public scale. Cost ranges from $5.00 to $15.00 to weigh your coach.

The Equinox weighs in at around 4,000 lbs.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
Hi

........If so, is it common to take your motorhome through an interstate weigh station to see what the actual weight of your RV is?
Weigh Stations along the roadside are for commercial vehicles only. Unless you come across one that specifically calls for R/V's to cross then do not enter (....do not pass Go; do not collect $200....)

As mentioned any truck stop with a Cat Scale can give you an accurate reading of your weight by axle and gross weight. Currently $11.00. Pull on the scale and follow the instructions posted.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

Ok, got it. Go to a truck stop to get weighed. Glad I asked. It saved me the embarrassment of driving into a weigh station and getting sent packing!

As long as I stay I stay below the the maximum weight rating for our rig, including the tow vehicle, I should be good to go, Correct?

Out of curiosity, is there a general rule of thumb as to how much below your maximum weight you should try to maintain? Having lived on a boat for 12 years at a point in my life, I realize how "stuff" can accumulate. I understand that it is not a good idea to be at your maximum weight most of the time, but what is considered a good "cushion"?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're considering a 2018 Equinox, then it is approximately 300 to 400 lighter than the previous generation...or about 3400 lbs. Be aware in selecting the 18 Equinox as the only current 4 down towable unit is one with the 1.5L, 4 cylinder engine and FWD, not AWD. When the 1.6L diesel comes out, then both AWD and FWD are towable 4 down. The 2L, when available, won't be 4 down towable. This is according to the current online owner's manual. As far as I know, baseplates aren't available yet. Hopefully this will change soon.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #7

In Wa State here. I have weighed every RV I have owned at a weigh station. Just wait until I find one that's closed at the time and pull right in. Done this in both Washington and Oregon.

A couple of times there has been somebody inside. I just waved and they waved right back.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

Is it common to stop at weigh station to get accurate weight of rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
Hi

We just purchased a 2104 Four Winds Siesta 29 TB. We are considering purchasing a new Chevy Equinox as a toad.

From what I have read, the rig will probably have a "towing capacity" of 5,000 lbs. I think I understand that the actual towing capacity will be the stated maximum gross weight of the RV, minus the actual weight. Is that correct?

If so, is it common to take your motorhome through an interstate weigh station to see what the actual weight of your RV is?
Best bet is a truck weight station at a truck stop. They give you a printout by axel and do not charge much. I always look for a truck stop that has a "Cat Certified" scale. Just google for a nearby location. I think I paid $10.
23U_2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that you should weigh at a certified CAT scale. They're all over the place, and not expensive.

www.catscale.com
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Not really , best to find a scale at a truck stop , they are not as busy and you'll have the time to get front and rear axle weights rather than just a whole vehicle total. There is usually a charge , but you get the info you need.
What is the advantage of knowing the front and rear axle weights?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, having the axle weights will help you know if one of them is overloaded and adjust accordingly. This is very important for handling and MH long term operation.
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #12

Quarries, bulk fertilizer plants, junkyards/ recyclers, and commodity warehouses also have scales and be more convenient.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #13

I've weighed several motorhomes I've owned at weigh stations. Here in Oregon some are only in official operation part of the time. When they're not staffed and not requiring big rigs to pull in, anyone can use the scale as it's still operational. There's one on a two lane country road a few miles from home, so I've weighed my current motorhome a few times with varying amounts of cargo, including moving it around to get individual corner weights.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have used weigh stations when they are closed, scale still works.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight