Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #1

Is it safe to blow out water lines?

I have a 2004 Winnie and I hate the smell of antifreeze.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

I thinking a BJ is the way to go. I even blow out the p traps. Once you figure out your plumbing system there should be place top add air and a place for it to drain. Pull the plug on the H2O heater. Disconnect the shower heads to drain the anti siphon valves. I also make sure the pump prefilter screen is drained. Remove and drain any filters.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

I do it every year.. there is a brass fitting that fits on your water fill port. Never used more than 45 psi or you may cause some leaks in your water lines. Takes me about 30 minutes to blow the water out.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Br.../dp/B002XL2IEA
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

I use this method too to winterize my RV. Instead of blowing out the P traps which could allow smells from the tanks into the RV I just pour some of the RV antifreeze down the drains to fill the traps. I also like to have a gallon each of the antifreeze in my black and gray tanks in case some water is left behind. Ditto on cleaning the pump screen. Don't forget to blow out all the lines including the toilet, ice maker if you have one, and the outside shower.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

Agree with the others, that is the method I use. I do add the antifreeze to the traps, and add some in the tanks. But no antifreeze in the fresh water system.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Blowing the lines out is a good way to go. Be careful with the pressure, you don't want to exceed what your pump usually puts out (45- 60 psi)

I still like to like to put a little antifreeze in things like "P" traps, drains and even the fresh tank (and pump) That way any residual water will not freeze and cause damage.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

I thought the antifreeze in the P traps can harm the ability of live digesting grey and black water tank additives. I never get tank smells but I am far from a full timer. I forgot to say don't forget the toilet..Takes two people unless you attach your air hose in a semi permanent way. I just use the spray nozzle with the rubber tip. it is not easy to get the toilet to drain and its not a fun job or cheap to fix that if it freezes.

In spring I have used the Clorox and or starsan to sanitize my fresh water tanks my Camper is 22 years old and I drink my fresh water. But I always fill from home or a good source.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
The black and gray should be empty so all those little critters that live in the black and gray should be dead and gone.

There will always be a little water in the "P" traps, so filling them with antifreeze displaces the water and keeps them from freezing.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

but dont those bottle of critters usually say any antifreeze residue can harm the critters?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
I do it every year.. there is a brass fitting that fits on your water fill port. Never used more than 45 psi or you may cause some leaks in your water lines. Takes me about 30 minutes to blow the water out.

Amazon.com: Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect: Automotive
This is exactly what I do. I can blow out the washer, toilet, and ice maker. When we bought this coach, the previous owned used gallons and gallons of that pink stuff. He poured it into the fresh water tank and pumped through the complete system including the heater heater.

Quote:
I thought the antifreeze in the P traps can harm the ability of live digesting grey and black water tank additives...

but dont those bottle of critters usually say any antifreeze residue can harm the critters?
In my humble opinion, the black and gray tanks are simply holding tanks, not septic tanks. No "helpful bacteria" are needed.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been doing that for the last 10 years with various units, never a problem. I also use RV antifreeze in the Ptraps and in the toilet.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a connection that I hook to the fresh water inlet and then to the compressor. I blow the lines in order specificed and repeat until no water comes out of the drains.

Antifreeze in the Ptraps and good to go.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been blowing out the lines for 15 years and no problems. I do just as above.
I bypass the water heater. Drain the fresh water tank and hot water tank. Before I turn on the compressor, I turn on a TT faucet. This keeps from building up too much pressure before I go inside. I then turn on compressor at about 40 lbs, I can leave on with an adapter as mentioned above. I go inside, close faucet for a minute to build up pressure, then turn on faucet. I repeat this until no water comes out. I do this with each faucet (hot and cold water), shower, toilet and outside shower and low point drain lines. After turning off compressor, I drain the grey water tanks, close the drains on the fresh water tank and grey water tank. Take off the water pump filter, clean and put back on. Last thing, I put a couple of cups of RV antifreeze down each drain including the toilet. Done in less than 30 minutes. Miller beer time.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #14

Activate all the valves including the bypass one's while there is air blowing through. That will get water out of the core holes in the ball valves.

Tags
water