Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Is Smaller Better?

We bought our first motorhome last year, 2008 Winnebago Outlook. I was, and will continue to be, the main camper and driver. I would really like something a bit smaller that gets better mpg and is easier to maneuver around the campgrounds. I am thinking about the Winnebago View. Any ideas on how I convince my husband that this is a good move?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

Best way is to take him out for a test drive in one. That has done in many many MH buyers!!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from a van width B to a longer and wider C this year. I did enjoy the 19' B as we could pretty much get it into any campsite and had no trouble parking it almost anywhere. Won't be the same with the C. We will have to think and plan ahead to avoid tight spots. However, we will no longer be climbing over each other to get in and out of bed and will be able to still move around if one of us is still up. There are trade offs with any length and floor plan.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Many people believe "Bigger is better", but not everyone. If you can afford the smaller MH, and a possible loss selling / trading your current one, then it's just a matter of driving something smaller to see if it fits your lifestyle. Selling an existing unit, just to get better fuel mileage, may not really be cost efficient since it will take a very long time, if ever, for the savings to equal the cost of the change.

How much use have you had with your Winnebago?. It may just be that you have to become comfortable with it's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie Ann View Post
We bought our first motorhome last year, 2008 Winnebago Outlook. I was, and will continue to be, the main camper and driver. I would really like something a bit smaller that gets better mpg and is easier to maneuver around the campgrounds. I am thinking about the Winnebago View. Any ideas on how I convince my husband that this is a good move?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie Ann View Post
... snip ... I am thinking about the Winnebago View. Any ideas on how I convince my husband that this is a good move?
-MPG

-Quality

-Fun

We've had two. First a 2006 View we got new in 8/2005. Put nearly 70k miles on it. Then traded it for our 2012 Navion iQ. About 17k so far. Great rigs!

Small? Hmm, haven't noticed that.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is smaller better? Well, sometimes.. I mean there are many sites my 38'er won't fit on where a smaller rig, say 30 or 25 would.. But on the other hand I have more room to move about herein,

And before my wife crashed the jeep... This model was a bath and a half, 2 holes, no waiting, very nice. Today.. Well The main bath is now a storage area save when I need to use the in-house shower.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We too have had smaller and larger. Went from a 30' TT to a 19' Roadtrek B (to small) to a 36' FW (to big) then to our Winnebago View Profile 25' 5". Small enough we can take it anywhere. We are away from home for Dr's appointments and we just got home from a movie and dinner. This is great size for us, just filled up today and our mileage was 16.35 not to bad traveling here in winds we are having. We will never trade this one off, wished we would have got sooner than we did.
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #8

Many (ourselves included) find the View/Navion to be the perfect sweet spot between a larger unit and a Class B. Large enough for longer-term livability but still easy to drive and easy to park. The View is narrower than most Class C's giving it very near Class B parkability, in fact we don't even bother with a toad. The size makes RVing fun again (and love the 16-17 mpg.) There's a reason the things are so popular.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #9

I sure wouldn't try to talk you out of a View. But I will give an alternative that some might like to hear about. We are 4 weeks into our first trip with our new Sunseeker 2300 on Chevy chassis. It is 25', and has a full 60x80 queen bed; it's a corner bed but being a regulation queen it is not hard to move around the sleeping partner when needed. The Chevy chassis handles well, and we are averaging a bit over 10 MPG including town and local driving. So, not 16, but not 6 either, and it's gas instead of more expensive diesel. The cab is not as comfy as the Sprinter's, but it is pretty decent. The purchase price is low, but the quality is not as good as Winnebago IMO. Not horrible, but not top end.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
We went from a van width B to a longer and wider C this year. I did enjoy the 19' B as we could pretty much get it into any campsite and had no trouble parking it almost anywhere. Won't be the same with the C. We will have to think and plan ahead to avoid tight spots. However, we will no longer be climbing over each other to get in and out of bed and will be able to still move around if one of us is still up. There are trade offs with any length and floor plan.
We just traded our "B" class sprinter for a "C" Coachman Prism 24G on the Sprinter Chassis. I also am the primary driver and I really miss the ease of driving anyplace and parking anyplace with the smaller van, but I think once I get use to the bigger ride, it will all be worth it. Having that extra room, and a real bathroom, and the longer trips with not tripping over each other and stepping on the cat and just having the little extra space will be really nice. Best of luck with your new C.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a real time getting full coverage insurance, took a while but i have it now. one question they had was how long is the vehicle. I had to measure Because I wasn't sure measured at 31 feet. I ask my cousin about it as she was in the past a underwriter. She told me they charge more if a RV is over 32 feet because there are more claim son rV over 32 feet then one 31 and shorter.
I got lucky I guess.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I suppose it depends on your long term use of the rig. We had a 25' Class C and enjoyed it - just had some life changes (health of a family member) that shifted us to a Chinook Concourse B so that we can both camp and do day trips, including parking in handicapped spots. Has a bit wider width than the standard B's. While there isn't a real need for a toad with this length, ours can still tow 5,000 lbs which means we bring our 2003 Tracker (tow 4 down) along on occasions that we want to drive on the beach, mountain roads, etc. that I'd rather not take our Chinook onto. Chinook is back in business after an '06 to current hiatus with their first prototype being shown this weekend. Very well built, all fiberglass sides and roof (no delam to ever worry about).

The view and the other rigs mentioned here are a sweet ride as well.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The Chinook is a nice RV. I have watched about every video on the B's, & B+ and I am familiar with that one.

We started out with a 19' Pleasure-Way Lexor van on the Chevy Chassis and loved it and then someone mentioned that there was no way you could go across the US in one of those without killing each other ... and it made me think ... hum maybe they were right, so we traded for a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 (Mercedes Chassis) which was 24' and they referred to as a B+, had the bed not been so horribly uncomfortable we would still have it. We have had a total of two B+ and three B's. Loved the B class the best for ease of driving around town and being able to park anyplace, but the B+ or C as our Prism is considered, is perfect for that little extra room, and it isn't all that bad to get around town in.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Chinook is back in business after an '06 to current hiatus with their first prototype being shown this weekend.
Any links or photos on line to the new Chinooks?

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote