Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Is this a good price, going to make offer

Thanks for your help in previous thread. I'm ready to make an offer and wanted to see what you all think.

2007 Impulse (Winnebago) with 37,000 miles, Chevy workhouse engine, has gen, 1 slide, awning, rear camera, plus all normal options. Hood needs repainted due to crap chevy paint on it, other than all the outside is probably in real good condition. Inside it appears to be in normal condition. Dealer claims everything works on it. This was one of their rental units if that matters.

The price said $42,000 and he told me I could buy it for $38,000. Nada says low retail is $37,000 and average is $44,000.

I was thinking of offering $35,000 do you think their price is reasonable or do you think I should be able to get it or another one similar for $35,000?

Thanks again for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

I think it's a little overpriced for a class C.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is your opinion based on? Do you have inside knowledge on what class c are worth? Would it still be overpriced if it were a class A?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaker View Post
Thanks for your help in previous thread. I'm ready to make an offer and wanted to see what you all think.

2007 Impulse (Winnebago) with 37,000 miles, Chevy workhouse engine, has gen, 1 slide, awning, rear camera, plus all normal options. Hood needs repainted due to crap chevy paint on it, other than all the outside is probably in real good condition. Inside it appears to be in normal condition. Dealer claims everything works on it. This was one of their rental units if that matters.

The price said $42,000 and he told me I could buy it for $38,000. Nada says low retail is $37,000 and average is $44,000.

I was thinking of offering $35,000 do you think their price is reasonable or do you think I should be able to get it or another one similar for $35,000?

A quick internet check agrees with your prices. New Class C's are more affordable than A's with financing, so the used market is different for C's than A's...but what does it hurt to make the offer(?)

You gotta make the call. Don't appear to be in a rush and is it what you want?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exactly what last guy said. X2
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
"crappy hood paint" - isn't this the same pain on both doors, fenders, etc?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think your offer is fair.

One word of caution on used rental units. Renters will use any hose to fill the fresh water tank, smell the fresh water, some tastes and smells never go away. Learned this the hard way on a class C rental unit I bought.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Seems a little high to me based on the fact it was a rental and not privately owned. We all know that renters do not care for things as if it was theirs and more than likely it was rode hard and put up wet. You could get a slightly older diesel pusher for the same price, if you like those. It's a buyers market and the dealer has already recouped their investment by renting it, your just giving them extra profit. Dealers generally don't rent their nicest units, they sell them, they rent the ones that they can't turn over quickly. Just my honest opinion. Good luck!
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Just because the dealer says everything inside works make them show you it does before you make any offer. also have them paint the hood. prior to delivery if you buy. Make sure this is in writing that they will paint it.

jack
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaker View Post

Hi tacomaker,
Your price is good. A word of caution--DO NOT TRUST THE DEALER--his goal is to sell the RV to whoever he can get to buy it and he WILL lie to do that. A red flag for me would be the hood needing paint but not other parts of the cab. They are all painted at the same time so conditions should be the same. One thing that could cause the hood to have a paint issue (and I could be wrong) is extreme engine over heating caused by low radiator coolant level, low oil level, or a combination of both combined with the heavy load. In this situation the hood would heat up destroying the paints bond with the hoods metal making it peel. With a rental this could be caused by a combination of poor or lax maintenance and renters who don't really care what happens to the RV (a second red flag). While I would normally say that Winnebago is one of the top choices I would suggest you keep looking. If your heart is set on this one have a mechanic you trust (not one the dealer suggests) do a thorough mechanical inspection. For that year range you should have no problem finding an RV with no issues in the 30k to 50k range. Good luck in your search.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are serious about the unit, have an independent RV tech inspect the motorhome. Also, have the chassis checked.

Rental units take a beating. Being a rental, I'd offer $30k and plan to replace the tires, batteries and a complete service on the engine, transmission and generator. You are looking at $3 to $4K to have it 100% road worthy in my opinion.

Ken
Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Thanks, some great help and advice here. I think I will keep looking and not rush into this. Especially since I've seen several others that are very nice as well and priced pretty well.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
What is your opinion based on? Do you have inside knowledge on what class c are worth? Would it still be overpriced if it were a class A?
Class A's are more expensive so YES a class A would be more.
It's a class C rental, so it's had abuse from a lot of different people.
NADA values are from what I've seen always on the high side. Their estimates are usually way behind what the market value actually is.
Am I an expert? No, just an idiot with an opinion like everyone else.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

Personally, I would never buy a rental. Your offer is more than generous. If it is exactly what you want floorplan wise, then I'd offer him $32,000 and see what happens. I would guess that if he doesn't accept it and you turn to walk out the door, he'll call you back. If not, go elsewhere. I'd want new tires on it or make it a bargaining chip, and don't take his word for everything working. Check it all before you make the offer. There are tons of rentals out there for sale...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer