Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Itasca Navion vs Leasure Travel Unity

I am looking for a smaller and easier to handle RV. I know have a 2013 winnebago Vista 26he class A. I am looking at these two that I can drive.
Any opions or comments are welcome
Thanks Nancy in NJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznancy View Post
I am looking for a smaller and easier to handle RV. I know have a 2013 Winnebago Vista 26he class A. I am looking at these two that I can drive.
Any opinions or comments are welcome
Thanks Nancy in NJ
Generally, your local dealer can provide you with a test drive depending on where you are. I think that any Sprinter based RV (generally about 24 to 25 foot long) will probably do what you want it to do.

There are very few Leisure Travel dealers around the US. Winnebago and others have many Sprinter based RVs that you may want to look at. Since the Sprinter chassis is a constant, the coach builder's product will vary, but the handling of the unit should not.

Last year I looked at both the Winnebago View Profile and Leisure Travel Unity models at the Hershey RV show (and saw the new Trend as well). While I like the all over Gray coloring of the LT better, I liked the quality of componetry better in the Winnebagos. I bought an Itasca because none of the dealers had a View in the color I wanted.

This is getting to be RV show season now. Even if you have to travel some distance to a show it will probably be well worth your time. Hershey is probably the best show in the East.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I recently had to trade in a 36' Class A for a smaller more manageable unit. After doing a lot of research and comparison shopping, I ended up opting for the Winnebago View (same as Itasca Navion). It's a nice size, handles well, gets decent mileage, and it has a dry shower (yippee). Also, since there are Winnebago dealers everywhere, I expect that if I need a repair while on the road, it won't be an issue.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you should take a look at the Winnebago Via or Itasca Reyo also. My wife and I both love everything about ours. That being said, we still do some little mods....I'm currently adding 4 drawers to replace the one bathroom vanity door below the sink.
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

You'll see some comments about the 'better build quality' of the Unity, but frankly I don't see it. Each manufacturer might so one thing or another better than the other but overall it seems to be pretty much a draw. And Unity considers things like a ladder or even a spare tire(!) as options... not my way of looking at things. Plus as mentioned Winnebago service is available everywhere. Unity does have some tricky options like the Murphy bed option which appeals to some, but it also comes at a hefty price premium. Lastly, if you are looking for a used unit the much higher production numbers of the View/Navion mean that there are inherently more on the market at any given time, meaning more choice.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
DMA

Price aside LTV is very proud of their product. No slide on the Unity.
I liked their split head/shower layout. Two persons can be "busy" at once.
You need to look at the running changes made in the View/Navions for 2015. Some major items depending on model and floor plan.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #7

Mercedes Sprinter Diesel

highly recommend the Itasca Navion IQ 24G. Excellent build and 17 mpg
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

We have owned a 2012 Unity and. 2014 Navion M. Hands down the Navion wins. The Unity has an awesome Murphy bed and a great bathroom with good closet. But the good ended there. We had repeated mechanical problems. Could never solve the co2 detector issue. The one door refrigerator would not freeze anything and barely kept things cold. No slide out, made for cramped quarters with 2, let alone when we tried to have company. When the bed was down, there was no place for another person to sit if they were not ready to go to bed.

The Navion M has a full side slide out that provides both sofa/bed and dinette. More room to move in the kitchen area and certainly more room to entertain. It also has a very functional 2 door refrigerator and double sink. Granted the bathroom and closet are smaller than the one in the Unity, but this is a small trade off. The Navion also has additional bed that can be made up at the dinette. The Unity has no such option. We also ran into issues trying to find LTV service centers....few and far between.

All in all, we are much happier with the Navion.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

In addition, the Unity had cheap looking curtain in cab, while the Navion has nice looking shades. We also struggled with the Unity ac....could never really get it to cool well.

We could report good gas mileage (17mpg) even towing a Jeep for both the Unity and Navion.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #10

We have a 2006 navion and it handles great.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

Can you tow a car with these rigs?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headingout View Post
Can you tow a car with these rigs?
They have either a 3,500 or 5,000 lb. tow rating (although in reality the difference doesn't mean much because due to GCWR limits you will probably be limited to 3,000-3,500 lbs. max tow weight regardless of the 'tow rating.') This is enough for a small car and many tow one successfully. Don't expect a lot of reserve power or fun in the mountains, but it is done.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #13

Towing a 96 Ford Ranger with our 2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24g. No problems at all. Love driving this unit with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis and Itasca build quality. Perfect for two but not full time. We keep it always ready to go
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #14

Do you use a dolly or hitch setup to tow? How much does the Ranger weigh? Are there many steps to hook it up and tow? We really like this size model, but just want to be sure it has enough power to tow a small car or truck all over the country. You said not for full timers, is that due to storage or what? Can you tell me any more about your rig that might help us. Thanks

Tags
itasca, travel