Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #15

We love our Jayco, you will too, congratulations and enjoy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Congrats!

Our situation sounds almost identical to yours. Had 2 pop ups for nearly 20 years total. Daughter is 13 and son is 10. Pop ups just didn't work as kids got older (& daughter especially wanted more privacy). I wanted some more conveniences such as easier setup and a shower (HATE campground showers). Couldn't tow anything more as wife has a minivan and I have a sedan for a company car. I had wanted a class C for probably about 5 years. So all that said we bit the bullet and bought a new one in August '12.

Another similarity... We are heading from Ohio to Florida when our kids are off school this March too.

You may not want to hear this now but here is what I found... Yes, the camping experience is easier in some ways. But the overall experience is more complicated in other ways. For example, need to get oil changes on a different vehicle, exercise the generator, etc. It's not "bad" but just go into it with a realistic perspective that some easier things will bring on new complications.
I don't mind the campground showers (at least in the provincial parks where we normally go), but one time we were at a park that only had vault toilets. My wife came running back in a hurry after a snake slithered across her feet I've always been an outdoors type person, but my wife ....not so much. She is a good sport and we spent several years in a tent before getting the popup camper. I'm sure we will all appreciate the toilet and shower in the new rig.

I hear you about the maintenance. I did consider the ongoing expense of oil changes, tires, insurance etc. The other comprimise is that we may not be able to get into some of the smaller campsites we used to, but at the same time it opens up other possiblities for extended road trips. We are looking forward to the experience.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats! Nice looking RV!

As others have said, make sure you take into consideration the large tail swing with your new RV. Be especially careful in gas stations, next to guard rails, narrow roads with road side mail boxes, and at red lights as you make left or right turns (with vehicles next to you). There are other areas where you need to be careful, but these are the big ones.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #18

Welcome. We have a class c looking for ward to Easter.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
Congrats! Nice looking RV!

As others have said, make sure you take into consideration the large tail swing with your new RV. Be especially careful in gas stations, next to guard rails, narrow roads with road side mail boxes, and at red lights as you make left or right turns (with vehicles next to you). There are other areas where you need to be careful, but these are the big ones.
Good advice from you and others. I take it some of you are speaking from experience Looking at the length of the rear over hang, I was also thinking I'll need to be careful pulling out of some parking lots and gas stations that have sloped entrance so I don't drag the a** end along the ground. Some of the campgrounds i've been to have very narrow winding roads. I was making a reservation the other day and the description of the site said it could accomadate a 40' RV, but when I looked at the road you would have to drive in on, I thought the only way that site could accomadate something 40' would be if it was airlifted in by helicopter I'll proceed with caution driving and making reservations until I get the feel for things. I haven't spent much time behind the wheel yet, but it seemed to drive quite well. One thing I haven't gotten used to is the side view cameras. When you put your turn signal on there is a camera in the mirror that gives you a view down the side on a screen in the dash. I find there is a bit of a lag before the image is displayed, and it seems counter intuitive to be looking at the middle of the dash. I found myself just using the mirrors. I suppose there are some times when the camera would come in handy. I did use it to judge how close I was to the curb when parking.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margar3t1 View Post
Welcome. We have a class c looking for ward to Easter.
I see you are from Prescott. Any favourite campgrounds in Ontario? With my popup camper we've done many of the provincial parks. Charleston Lake near you is one of our favourites. We've also been to some of the camp grounds in the Parks of the St. Lawrence.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why Wait for Spring? Georgia, Up-state SC, Flordia are all RV compatable right now. (Parked in FairPlay SC, current temp 36 did not freeze the motor home last night though outside did) Southern GA is warmer, Flordia warmer still.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #22
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Why Wait for Spring? Georgia, Up-state SC, Flordia are all RV compatable right now. (Parked in FairPlay SC, current temp 36 did not freeze the motor home last night though outside did) Southern GA is warmer, Flordia warmer still.
I know it's warm down there. You don't have to rub it in But unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm many years from retirement. Wife and I both work and the kids are in school. Once spring arrives, we can make some weekend trips to local provincial parks and campgrounds. I am planning a trip in March when the kids are off for spring break. I was thinking Florida, but now I'm considering SC since it's a bit closer and we only have a week.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #23

PGD. We go to the st Lawrence parks commission. They have a fu park along the. St Lawrence. Have a look at there Webb site. We go to Grenville park Johnstown. Riverside in morrisburg Readeau acres Kingston hope this helps we also belong to a good sam club. We are going to jayco sambree in Aug. then to the jayco plant. There is going to be a good sam sambree the long weekend in Aug take care.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD View Post
Back in November I walked into my local RV dealer to pay for the winter storage on my popup camper and they happened to be having a clearance sale on their rental fleet and 2013 models ÖÖÖÖÖ..so Iím now the proud owner of a new 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS! It wasnít as impulsive as it seems J I had been considering upgrading for some time, and had recently gone to an RV show to compare models. So I knew what I wanted. I liked the popup camper (Jayco 1206), but wanted something that would require less setup and take down effort, plus the kids are getting to the age where they want their own bed, and neither one wanted to sleep on the dinette. I considered a TT, but to get one big enough would require a bigger tow vehicle and I really didnít want to drive a big truck or SUV around all the time. So I started looking at class c motorhomes. I like how they are self-contained and the bunk over the cab provides plenty of sleeping options. The 31 FS is the bunk house floor plan, so the kids can have their own bed without having to convert the sofa or dinette every night. Plus there is plenty of room for them to bring friends along. It was just perfect timing that they happened to have the model I wanted at a good price. Now I canít wait for spring. The unit is in storage, so I have barely had any time with it. Iíve been reading these forums and planning road trips to satisfy my itch. I canít wait to take it out on a shakedown trip.
So happy for you. Sounds like the family will have lots of good times!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
congrats, one thing abt owning an rv. ya don't really need to wait for a season change, ya can always head to florida, california, weather is always sping/summer like
I've had my unit a little longer ... since September ... and I, too, can't wait for March. Already planning a trip to New Orleans and Florida.

Places where, in the words of an old Jimmy Buffett song, "The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Beautiful RV! Congratulations!! Another dream realized...
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why wait for SPRING,, Here in Upstate SC I was running around today in my T-Shirt.. Bit cooler tonight (49 expected) but 66 again tomorrow. Back to shirt sleeve wetther (no I did not leave a letter out,, Rain too).
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #28
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Why wait for SPRING,, Here in Upstate SC I was running around today in my T-Shirt.. Bit cooler tonight (49 expected) but 66 again tomorrow. Back to shirt sleeve wetther (no I did not leave a letter out,, Rain too).
Good to know. I'm thinking of heading to SC in March. Closer than Florida and I only have a week.