Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
PGD

I've got a new RV - bring on spring!

Back in November I walked into my local RV dealer to pay for the winter storage on my popup camper and they happened to be having a clearance sale on their rental fleet and 2013 models ……………..so I’m now the proud owner of a new 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS! It wasn’t as impulsive as it seems J I had been considering upgrading for some time, and had recently gone to an RV show to compare models. So I knew what I wanted. I liked the popup camper (Jayco 1206), but wanted something that would require less setup and take down effort, plus the kids are getting to the age where they want their own bed, and neither one wanted to sleep on the dinette. I considered a TT, but to get one big enough would require a bigger tow vehicle and I really didn’t want to drive a big truck or SUV around all the time. So I started looking at class c motorhomes. I like how they are self-contained and the bunk over the cab provides plenty of sleeping options. The 31 FS is the bunk house floor plan, so the kids can have their own bed without having to convert the sofa or dinette every night. Plus there is plenty of room for them to bring friends along. It was just perfect timing that they happened to have the model I wanted at a good price. Now I can’t wait for spring. The unit is in storage, so I have barely had any time with it. I’ve been reading these forums and planning road trips to satisfy my itch. I can’t wait to take it out on a shakedown trip.
PGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your new find.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club

Congrat's.
Best of travels and post up some pics when you get her out.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
congrats, one thing abt owning an rv. ya don't really need to wait for a season change, ya can always head to florida, california, weather is always sping/summer like
Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and congrrats on your purchase. Hope you enjoy all your future adventures.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats! Jayco makes a good product.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats! You'll love it!
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
PGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
congrats, one thing abt owning an rv. ya don't really need to wait for a season change, ya can always head to florida, california, weather is always sping/summer like
Well that is true. I thought it might be a bit rushed to plan something in December, but I am making plans to head south in March when the kids are off school.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
PGD

Thanks everyone. Here is a picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	53869
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Welcome to the Motorhome club.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Congrats! Our first MH was a Coachman bunkhouse which was great with the kids. We would drive all night while they were sleeping on our way to Florida. We went at Christmas sometimes and spring break other times. As stated, you do not have to wait for the weather with a MH, just be prepared for it. Best of luck and enjoy the ride. Brian
B Willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
PGD

I probably will go to Florida next December once I'm used to the rig. Even though the weather is nice down south, it isn't here. I didn't want my first trip to be a 1,200 mile drive starting in a blizzard. Regarding sleeping in the bunks while driving, I was wondering if people did that. I think in Ontario, you have to be seat belted in.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

Congrats!

Our situation sounds almost identical to yours. Had 2 pop ups for nearly 20 years total. Daughter is 13 and son is 10. Pop ups just didn't work as kids got older (& daughter especially wanted more privacy). I wanted some more conveniences such as easier setup and a shower (HATE campground showers). Couldn't tow anything more as wife has a minivan and I have a sedan for a company car. I had wanted a class C for probably about 5 years. So all that said we bit the bullet and bought a new one in August '12.

Another similarity... We are heading from Ohio to Florida when our kids are off school this March too.

You may not want to hear this now but here is what I found... Yes, the camping experience is easier in some ways. But the overall experience is more complicated in other ways. For example, need to get oil changes on a different vehicle, exercise the generator, etc. It's not "bad" but just go into it with a realistic perspective that some easier things will bring on new complications.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Make sure when your leaving a fuel pump, you drive straight ahead, till your rear end is past the fuel island.