Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Jayco Grayhawk Super C

We have been camping the past five years in a Jayco Designer 28 ft. Class C MH (1999) and are considering replacing it with a 2007 Jayco Grayhawk Super C. Need information on repair issues, handling characteristics and fuel economy. We get about 8MPG with our 1999 Jayco and would like to get better. WE have looked at the new 31WP Jayco Greyhawks but they don't have as much inside storage as ours. Any thoughts on this?

Guy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

We have a 35 2005 Endura on the Kodiak chassis with a Duramax diesel. We get 9 mpg but I have a heavy foot. I believe 10 or 11 is possible. Love the power, tranny, exhaust brake. When we bought ours the tires and shocks were gone so we replaced them and it rides and handles great. I would not go back to a 350 or 450 gasser now. You won't regret it.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2007 32ft greyhawk, with a 8.1 vortex gas. We have 40,000 miles on it at this time, and are heading out for the winter soon. Ours has the front entertainment center, 2 slides, and the usual outfittings. I have had HDTV unit installed, changed out the tv with a bigger plasma unit and added moveable solar panels, so I can place them anywhere I want. We do a lot of off road dry camping, As for extras I have put on the front and rear sway bars, replaced original shocks with (sp) bilstean gas, and just put saf-t-steer on this spring. We love this unit and most of the changes I did were for me and not because of any problems.... We tow ether a 20 ft boat or a 2004 dodge Dakota 4 x 4 quad cab and notice very little difference except on real steep grades. The fuel mileage does not very between not pulling and pulling by more than 1/2 of mpg. I cruse at 60 to 62 mph at 1950 to 2100 rpm and get between 6.7 and 7.3 mpg, any faster or higher rpm and the millage goes to pot, AND I have every tank written down, last trip 2 weeks ago towing my boat, 375 miles mostly flat land one mt pass I got 6.9 mpg. We do not get as good of millage as the diesels but the bottom end power is second to none . also I travel with full water and full fuel tanks, I never know when we will pull off the beaten path and spend a few days, I never let the fuel get below 1/2 because at $4.00 gal 40 gals is a hit enough ... needless to say we love the unit (except at the gas station) The only repair we have had was the rear 3rd member was replace right after we got it, also a gear stripped on the front slide unit after our Alaska trip..... and thats been it so far. good luck if you get the unit we love ours..........
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #4

Our Super C is a 35' Endura diesel. Have averaged over 10 mpg over 60,000 miles. Getting better than 10 mpg will require the diesel option on a Super C. Most gas owners report 8 mpg most of the time. Gulf Stream model similar to the Jayco Greyhawk is a 6340. Available in both gas and diesel.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #5

Jayco Greyhawk Super C 32 ft.

Many thanks for your comments and useful information.

Guy Loucks
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would DO BACKFLIPS if I could get 8 mpg, in the 4 years I have owned this unit I have never talked to anyone that has gotten that mileage on a regular basis, I once saw 8.5 mpg but that, but it was going from Ely Nv to L V with a tail wind and thats all down hill. The people that I have talked to with the 8.1 gas that are getting 8mpg have the motor in a class A, they will get up to 10mpg , but if you get the super C, dont count on it, look for 7 and be happy with anything else...........
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Did you have the option to choose between the V10 and the chev V8 with these Jaycos when new? if so, the V10 is the way to go.

Now, MPG ranges wildly, depending on who you speak to, but we got a solid 12+mpg with our V10. Our old Jayco Class C had a 360 (dodge), that got 10-12. How you drive, and maintenance is key.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my driving is always at 60mph to 62mph , at 1900rpm to 2100rpm, and no the v-10 was not offered in the Jayco Greyhawk with the 5000 Kodak chasis...