Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just purchased a jayco 32ss greyhawk, last month and have put about 2000miles on it so far, we are down in the quartzsite area now ,,,we have put on satellite, t v ,,solar panels, and an extra house heater, we have the creature comforts taken care of now and need to work on the rig itself....sway bars back or front? steering stabilizers?, shocks? airbags? any of you have one of these which way would you go , also any manufacturers names would help .....thanks ahead of time for any help ...keith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a 2009 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS.

We havent had a chance to use it much.

I would like to add another battery.

Maybe a slide topper.

I added a vent cover over the front bed - the front vent vibrated like mad in the wind. After install it is fine.

I did also buy a DVD player for under the main TV.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #3

I have a 2008 Jayco 31ss... I also added the vent cover on the front vent to stop all the rattling in the wind while traveling... I ordered the slide topper when we bought it... as far as the suspension mine came with Helwig suspension in the rear and is not bad... the steering is OK but do get a feeling of the tires rolling to the sides every once in a while...

FlashG:mine came with a dvd am/fm player but is the kind in the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks... did you add just a dvd player or one with a radio? we don't use it much... haven't tried the dvd player...

Did either of you get leveling jacks? I don't have them as the Helwig suspension seems to keep the unit quite stable when on the sites...

Joe
jerzeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Joe,

I bought an Insignia DVD from Best Buy - it was only $50 and rated highly in Comsumer Reports.

I didnt get the leveling jacks either. We found it very stable when parked.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #5

Thanks for that info... I found Jayco's sewer hose storage way too small so I added a sewer hose storage tube across the bottom of the coach... I made it from a square vinyl fence post and caps from Lowes... not sure how to add pictures to this thread...easier to show than to explain...

Joe
Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe,

You are correct that sewer storage is too short.

I put the short one that came with the starter kit in the hose storage and put a long one in a Rubbermaid bin in the cargo hold.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #7

Here is a link to another forum I am on that has pictures of the holder I made.. it is installed on our previous Sunnybrook TT we had before the we bought the Jayco....

Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by FlashG:
I just bought a 2009 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS.

We havent had a chance to use it much.

I would like to add another battery.

Maybe a slide topper.

I added a vent cover over the front bed - the front vent vibrated like mad in the wind. After install it is fine.

I did also buy a DVD player for under the main TV.
Where might I ask did you get a 2009 32SS? They discontinued it just after the start of the 2008 model year?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don,

My bad.

Ours is actually a 31SS on E450.

I was also telling people it was on a F450 chassis. LOL

What do I know? grins
Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #10

don't feel bad Flash... I did the same thing with the F-450 on my first posts... so used to towing TTs with pickups all those years...old habits are hard to break....

Joe
Old 03-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1999 31' Minnie Winnie DL, no slide and were constantly operating just under the GVWR by about 100#. Me, the wife, dog, parrot, 1/4 tank fresh water and full fuel. If your tanks are aft of the rear axle, you will need to watch the loading as very much fresh water and cause the rear end to be heavy and the front axle go light and effect steering.

With the big box on the chassis, it had a tendency for the unit to roll from side to side which effected the steering due to the front end geometry. Would wind up driving with a constant see-saw steering to try and keep a straight line.

The solution was to add iPD USA anti-roll bars to the front and rear with urethane bushings. Next were Bilstein shocks on all four corners.

In order to keep the ride height where it belonged, I added Ride-rite air springs to the rear and Air-lift air springs to the front.

It really needs the anti-roll bars on front and rear to keep the roll resistance the same on both ends.

With these improvements, it drove so much better it became easy to drive and no more fighting to keep it in a straight line.

A steering stabilizer is just a crutch to cover up the real handling problem, so I could not recommend on for this coach.

Before you complete a bunch of modifications, have the front end aligned by a truck front end shop. Ford does not really understand the suspension of a heavily loaded chassis, but the normal independent truck suspension shop will be able to help out.

Hope all of this will help you out.

Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks for the input
Here is what I have done so far..
2 extra gp 27 batteries
satellite t v by camping world in henderson az,,,,,,nice job,,,
front and rear swaybars by roadmaster installed by R&R Hitches in kingman az great job....
However there is a large problem with the brackets for the rear swaybar supplied by roadmaster,,,,,,,they will fit a senica but not a greyhawk 32 ss,,,,they have to be cut and rewelded to clear the frame,,Tony at R&R did a great job...
4 bilstien gas shocks....
I am happy with the improved ride and handling, mad great improvment.....
returning today from a 4,500 mile trip,,,,,fuel has been from a low of 6.5 mpg ,,head winds and hills ,,,to a high of 8.9 mpg flat level road,,,average of 7.4 mpg overall rpms at 1800 and speed on cruse at 62 mph.....thats all for now