Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #1

We happened to be going by the dealership where we bought our Jayco Granite Ridge a couple of years ago. We were hoping to see the new Melborne but they didn't have one in yet. However, they did have a Senaca, so we took a look at it.

It is one of the "super C's" 35' long with three slides. Very roomy but we were very disappointed to find that it had almost NO kitchen counterspace. In fact it might have even less then our coach. Other than that it seemed to be very nicely built- good fit and finish.

Anyone else have a viewpoint?

Skip

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #2

We happened to be going by the dealership where we bought our Jayco Granite Ridge a couple of years ago. We were hoping to see the new Melborne but they didn't have one in yet. However, they did have a Senaca, so we took a look at it.

It is one of the "super C's" 35' long with three slides. Very roomy but we were very disappointed to find that it had almost NO kitchen counterspace. In fact it might have even less then our coach. Other than that it seemed to be very nicely built- good fit and finish.

Anyone else have a viewpoint?

Skip

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We saw one at the Houston RV show last weekend. My wife fell in love with it - it's her current choice to continue RVing in should I kick the bucket. (It's a long, funny story - elements of it are in the Houston RV Show thread in the South Central forum below. )

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #4

Skip, as you know we've been considering (agonizing might be a better word) over downsizing from our 40 ft 10 inch Ambassador to a C Class. Since we are now towing a Tahoe we found ourselves really limited in choice - basically the C5500 Kodiak chassis. We have two lots in Florida - one with a 2 year old park model and the other has the Ambassador. We really don't need something as large as the Ambassador and it doesn't get the kind of use that a C Class would.

We have decided on the 32SS Greyhawk and have finalized the price and trade value with our dealer back north. Its specs (8.1 Vortec 325/450, GVWR 19,500 lbs, GCWR 26,000 lbs, tow hitch 7500 lbs, NCC 3200 lbs) indicate we should be able to tow the Tahoe and have good carrying capacity for our "stuff."

We went to Bates RV here in Floida last week to have a look at the 32SS Greyhawk. Liked what we saw. While there, we looked at a Melbourne. Very nice and compact but for the three of us it was not appropriate. I doubt that exterior storage is even 20 cu ft (vs over 115 for the 32SS for example).

Now, I need a shove from you kind folks. We have one reservation to address before we push the button to GO for the 32SS. Quality. I know you've been really happy with your unit Skip. The quality of the Greyhawk "seemed" reasonable. However, I've been browsing various forums to learn as much as I can about Jayco problems and quality. While one reads horror stories for virtually every make, I was surprised to see so many for Jayco given what I thought was a pretty good reputation. There seems to be a lot of unhappy Jayco owners out there. DO I PUSH THE BUTTON AND GO FOR IT - OR DO I FORGET IT AND KEEP THE 2006 AMBASSADOR THAT HAS BEEN DEBUGGED?

As to the 35 and 36 Seneca units, we looked at both they seemed very nice (nice to see the bunk beds in the 36). In our case we quickly concluded that to reduce the size we have now by only 4 feet in length didn't make sense. Since then we have read about potentially serious problems with the 35 and 36 because the chassis have been lengthened between the axles. Apparently once that happens (MoreRyde does it for Jayco) GM says no warranty on the chassis and drive line. Then you find yourself in a mess if you have problems. I asked one dealer about this and he confirmed that it is a problem and that he has one on his hands now that he is trying to resolve.

Here is a link to the discussion for those who may be interested. My conclusion is that I'd not buy the 35 or 36. Some claim the 32 is OK. I've had an owner of a 32SS Greyhawk indicate that the chassis is not stretched - wb is 225 and that is a size that corresponds with Kodiak production wb lengths.

Extended chassis issues

Quality issues
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hmmm...that certainly doesn't look like what I would expect based on the 3 Jaycos we've owned (a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels). Maybe I should hang on for a few more years until they get the bugs worked out!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #6

Don, the quality in our Jayco did NOT stand up to our previous Mountain Aires, but that being said, we had only minor concerns... and the two year warranty vs. most manufacturer's one year warranty is definitely a plus.

Now, I'd bet that you will take a huge beating on trade. Since you are happy with your HR and have it de-bugged, you just might be happier in the long run holding on to it.

Have you spent any time behind the wheel of the Greyhawk? I have not driven a coach on that chassis but have read reviews that praise it's handling prowess. That might be the decision maker for you- that and the tons of money you will save on routine upkeep, maintenance, etc.

One other thing- I saw somewhere where they are starting to build C's on the Ford SuperDuty chassis. I know nothing about the chassis or who what brand has chosen to use it, but that might be worth a little research.

Skip