Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Jayco seneca

Anybody have any thoughts on the 2008 Seneca. Have looked at the 2012 but are thinking about buying a 2008

Cjohnson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
There are pros and cons to both. You will just have to weigh them all and find out what works best for you. Here are a few things to think about in no particular order...

For the 2012
1) It is brand new
2) The house part has a 2 year warranty and the chassis has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty (the mileage that is already on it doesn't count against your 36000.)
3) If there is a problem they will fix it for free!
4) Since you bought it first you know how it was cared for and where it was stored.
5) You can usually get a substantial discount from the dealership from MSRP IE they took $30,000 off the MSRP of mine before I started negotiations.
6) You can have the dealership throw in things like Max Air vent covers and bump out awnings and even a spare tire.
7) It comes with a full tank of gas and your LP gas is full when you pick it up
8) It is cleaned and in working order
9) It has the most up to date equipment
10) You get to choose the options.

For the 2008
1) it is a relatively new coach
2) it is the same floor plan of the new coach
3) You are saving a substantial amount of money
4) The engine is more than likely broken in so you don't have to deal with the first part with low gas mileage.
5) The previous owner probably has ironed out the major kinks that are generally found with a new RV
6) In many cases the living equipment is already there so you can save the cost of getting new sheets, silverware and dishes
7) If the coach was well maintained and everything is in working order you will get a great deal
8) The coach is new enough that it shouldn't have leaked yet.
9) The chassis hasnt really changed that much since 2008 (Assuming it is a Ford since Chevrolet and Dodge don't make chassis cabs anymore)
10) You are in many cases getting it from a prior owner so they may be willing to negotiate to a lower price and you can check to see what other people are getting for them on sights like NADA.com.

Those are 10 good reasons for each and finding 10 bad reasons would be just as easy. One thing I would caution you about is to look at the tires. As a general rule of thumb you will want to replace the tires every 5 years as that is when all manufacturers warranties run out. The warranty doesn't start from the date of purchase but from the date of manufacture. You can find this date on the tire in a the second oval after the DOT code. There will be a set of letters followed by 3 or 4 numbers. Those numbers are what you are looking for.

The first 2 numbers are the week the tire was made and the second 1 or 2 numbers will be the year the tires were made. IE 147 or 1407 means that the tires were made in the 14th week in 2007. Between April the 1st and April the 7th of 2007 and that means that you will need new tires soon regardless of the amount of tread or mileage.

I hope this helps and happy camping!

Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
We've just started looking and my main issue is the CCC, cargo carrying capacity. It appears that the 2008 is lower than the newer models. As for new or used, new is always better and you will know the whole history. With a used I'd want to know I was buying from an extremely reputable dealer. Hope this helps
Grog_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
The 2008 was built on a Kodiak Chassis. The 2012 is a totally different motorhome built on a Freightliner Chassis with an ISB engine. Any comparison is VERY difficult.

A number of us in the Kodiak Chassis Class C Yahoo group attended a group rally in Elkhart in 2010 and Jayco gave us a preview of the unit and brought in the Freightliner unit they are using.

Which of the two would I prefer if cost was not an issue - the 2012 by a country mile.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
BTW, GM shut down the Kodiak production line in 2009. I had the 8.1 gas engine in mine and it went by by in 2010 when they shut down the engine plant that manufactured the 8.1. That also put paid to the Workhorse Class A chassis as it used the 8.1 and a suitable replacement was not available.
2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited V6 Active Drive II
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote