Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Jayco Seneca 36FS Gray Water Tank & Side Mirror problems

We bought a Jayco Seneca 36FS in January. Overall we're happy with it but there are 2 problems of concern.

The Gray water tank is advertised as 41 gallon capacity in all printed material and on their website for all model years. Our former Class A's all had 40 gallon tanks and with careful showers, washing dishes, etc we could dry camp 4-5 days. We can get 2-2/12 days in this coach. When hubby emptied the tank he decided to do a test and manually poured water down the shower a gallon at a time. When he had poured 32 gallons of water in the tank it started backing up into the shower. That means that the tank is either 9 gallons less than advertised or the tank is not emptying as it is supposed to and it never completely empties. I spoke with a tech at Jayco (not the one I usually deal with) and he denies a problem and tried to tell me that things change and they don't always update the printed or online material.

Well, the website says 41 gallons for model years 2008, 2009 and 2010. You'd think if they figured out it's not 41 gallons they would have updated their website by now

Anyway, he's claiming nothing they can do if it isn't as advertised....RIGHT!
Our service center owner said he's had Holiday Rambler and another brand replace gray water tanks that were "not as advertised" so I know it can (AND WILL) be done if in fact it is not as advertised.

If anyone has a 36FS have you checked to see if you really have a 41 gallon holding tank?

Next issue is the passenger side mirror. We, the owner of the service center and the tech have all driven the coach and said yes there is a problem in visibility with the passenger mirror. The service tech said he drove it cross country but not he claims it's not really a safety hazard because you can see. Our coach the only way you can see is when the arm to the mirror is NOT in the locked position. The tech said well, you can buy a new mirror. I said, NO you can buy a new mirror. IF it's a safety hazard then it's Jayco's responsibility. Both the service manager and the owner sat behind the wheel and said they could see the coach but not the road. That is a serious problem.

Does anyone else with a 36FS have a problem with the safety mirror?

Nedra

Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
Both the service manager and the owner sat behind the wheel and said they could see the coach but not the road. That is a serious problem.
Nedra, Folks that do this type of stuff at the professional level (Instructors) will tell you that you do not want to see the coach in your mirrors but you do indeed want to see the road. I see this as a problem if you can't see the road with your rear view mirrors.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Nedra, Folks that do this type of stuff at the professional level (Instructors) will tell you that you do not want to see the coach in your mirrors but you do indeed want to see the road. I see this as a problem if you can't see the road with your rear view mirrors.
I totally agree which is why I'm pushing to get this fixed. I've taken a professional RV driving class and as a driver for over 45 years no matter what you drive you must be able to see the road on the passenger side.

Nedra
Old 08-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Jayco Seneca problems

Well our gray water tank problem has been fixed. Amazing that after the coach was torn apart our service center discovered the plumbing was all screwed up. It wasn't draining properly. It was also discovered that it was not draining properly not because of a venting problem but because Jayco had the plumbing going uphill. Well, they had to pay for about 24 hours worth of labor to fix the darn thing but the water is flowing as it should...finally. Jayco was kind of shocked when they saw the photos of the way the plumbing had been installed.

As for the mirror, I think that problem might be solved but won't know for sure until we pick it up on Monday. They ended up fabricating a shim to wedge in between the mounting plate and the coach. Not enough to require any hardware changes but enough to allow the mirror to sit in the locked position and be able to see the road and not the side of the coach.

Of corse we have not seen it finished yet but if this takes care of the problem, great. If not, Jayco has authorized new mirrors. I will just be happ if it works and don't care about new mirrors. I won't drive it as it was because it was unsafe. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers all is well.

Nedra