Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #1

Just bought a Class 'C'

Hey All,

So 3 weeks before I was due to pick up my ordered ultralight travel trailer, DW and I were debating at GREAT length whether or not we were doing the right thing. Like many, we went from a Pop-up to a Hybrid.

But, something changed along the way. We kept thinking about how others with motorhomes camped. How easy it was to just drive in, push a couple buttons, and pretty much be done save your hookups. We kept thinking about how much less stressful it would be to drive a motorhome instead of dealing w/ hitching, weight distribution, sway, backing in, the 45-50' driving length, etc.

We both work, so when we go camping/vacationing we want it to be easy and stress free.

We decided to just bite the bullet and get it over with before we signed onto another trailer and continue the trend of endless upgrades. We probably should have done this right after the Pop-up, but we weren't sure we wanted to be all-in on this at that time.

I suppose we're all-in now !!!

We ordered a 2015 Jayco Redhawk 26XS. Our rig was ordered w/ the Bigfoot levelers to help make it as easy as we could. Family is myself, DW, DD (8 years), and DD (6 years). Looking forward to a good decade of family fun with this thing, if not more. My dealer was pretty adamant that these things will last 15 years easy if you take care of it. I'm pretty fastidious with maintenance, so I guess we'll see !!

We were going to go for a leftover Greyhawk 29MV that was on the lot for only 10k more than the ordered RedHawk, but I couldn't get past the relatively sparse 1600 pounds of CCC that the 29MV had. The 2014 RedHawk 26XS he had on the lot (sold, but it was till there) had no levelers and had over 3100 pounds available, so I expect to be around 2500-2600 pounds after my levelers are installed.

Hoping it gets here before Memorial Day - he told me 6-8 weeks. We'll see !

I tried to take into account most of the important things I've read on forums such as this one. I have ample CCC in the rig and my wheelbase to length is 52.5% (not ideally above 55% but not in the danger zone of the below 50% crowd). Also, my cap is a molded seamless fiberglass one; I'll only have to caulk where it attaches to the roof. I've also read mostly/largely positive things about the Ford E450 chassis. And while Jayco won't be confused w/ Lazy Daze or some of the higher end boutique lines, I'm told its a solid value brand. Plus, my dealer is excellent.

s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
First off, welcome aboard!

We just picked up our "new" rig a couple of months ago coming straight from the pop-up for all the same reasons you listed above. I am all about making a camping trip as simple as possible and the immediate ability to just pull in (so far all sites have been level for us) and plug in cut my setup time from 30+ minutes down to 5.

Rule #1 with dealerships. They are trying to sell you something so just ignore anything they say. 15 years on a well maintained rig is easy to do. I just bought an 05 Fleetwood and it is in immaculate shape. Sure there are a few blemishes from normal usage but they are so cosmetic and minor it isn't even worth thinking about. Ford V10's are easy to find parts for, easy to have rebuilt if you ever get to that point and the maintenance is so well documented that you could probably do all the basic work yourself. Their only drawback is they are thirsty and on an incline or heavy head winds it's going to struggle a bit. I just kick on my hazard lights and let her do her best at that point but even then you can maintain 55 mph (slowest I am willing to go on a highway) at 3k rpm.

When it comes to your rig my opinion is the best one to get is the one you are happy with. I have never been about name brands because I always do my research before making any kind of investment. Judging by your prepared "mod" list seems you do the same so I think you will be just as happy with your Jayco as I am with my Fleetwood.

The only thing I should warn you about is after you first trip out you are going to immediately start planning your next. I haven't stopped loving the motorhome since I picked it up and keep finding myself investing more than I should into "little" upgrades (new LED tv, bluray player, mattress, and new stereo so far) that just makes the next trip even better.

Enjoy the ride and I hope your rig gets there before Memorial Day.
vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Aw heck. This forum might come in immediate use.

Dealer just called - they can't get my ordered unit in until mid July - which ruins 2 planned trips. That brings me back to the other rig I was looking at: Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. Its got all the upgraded amenties and suspension and a nicer floorplan for sure. But its CCC at only 1600 pounds worries me.

They are telling me all their Greyhawks come in around that weight and for a family of 4 they wouldn't give it another thought. I can't help thinking its light - am I being crazy?

Wheelbase comes in around 54.4% I can't decide if 1020 pounds give enough room to wiggle. We don't FT in it, only vacation and long weekends. Its not like we're lugging around stoneware and dutch ovens, etc.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
My Fleetwood Jamboree is a 29V and is 30'. I usually have a full tank of gas, about 6 gallons of white water (we fill up when we get to our destination), and we cook everything for our trips so pantry and fridge get filled, clothes enough for the weekend, 3 dogs and everything you can imagine for a 2 year old DD (including a playard for sleeping). I have yet come close to hitting our max CCC. But that's something I am comfortable with.

The question you need to ask is it something you would be comfortable with? It seems judging by your posts that it isn't and I would suggest you stick to your guns and get what you want versus settling for less and regretting it later. Sure, you lose 2 planned trips but this is a long term investment.

My only other suggestion is why buy your first rig new when you can buy one significantly less on a couple of year old model that suits your desires? Just a thought to consider.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #6

That 1020 pounds is after my family is on board btw.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #7

Hello s1njin and welcome. I feel your pain. Go with whats REALLY in your hearts. Safe travels.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
That 1020 pounds is after my family is on board btw.
Loaded with gear? Or just the family?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

1619 w/ full fuel and propane. That would leave me around 1119 for gear after my family is on board. Give or take a couple of pounds.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
PGD

Congratulations! I bought a Greyhawk 31FS in November. Waiting until spring was the hardest part Like you, I had a pop up but wanted to make set up and take down as easy as possible. We wanted to get away for the weekend easily without a lot of work. I've only been on one week long trip with it so far, but it's great. My wife and daughter wanted to go to the outlet mall. I just unplugged, pulled in the slides and off we went. While they were shopping, I had a nap on the sofa while my son played video games Very easy. As far as weight, it is true the larger class C's don't have a lot of CCC. I plan to use ours for weekends and the occasional 1 to 2 week trip, so I don't need to bring too much stuff. All the camping gear that was in the pop up is in the Greyhawk. I like to keep things simple and bring only what we need, but if you are the type of person that likes to bring everything just in case you might have a problem. Even with all the stuff I have, most of the cabinets and storage compartments are empty. One thing you might want to consider when purchasing is sleeping arrangements, especially if you plan to keep it for 10 years. I have a son (13) and daughter (11). When they were younger they had no problem sharing a bunk in the pop up. As they got older, I'd have to set up the dinette every night and then there would be the ensuing disagreement about who should have to sleep on the dinette. I got the 31FS because it has bunks. My son sleeps over the cab, and my daughter in one of the bunks. They each have their own space, and I don't have to convert the dinette or sofa every night, plus there is room for them to bring along a friend. Also, although the sofa and dinette in the Greyhawks convert to beds, they are rather short. Okay for a small person, but might not be comfortable for an adult or teenager. Might not be an issue for you, but something to consider.
PGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #11

Whats your CCC on yours?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #12

Two years ago I bought a 2013 class C MH coachmen, more or less same as the configuration of what your trying to buy. What's my experience on this MH are: NO panoramic view (only one side has 1 big window) so if you want to do some sight seeing then it's a problem; it's not aerodynamic (worst to drive in cross wind) ; passenger feel nausea when traveling (it's like your in a cave). We sold our class c after 5 months and bought 2013 class A Hurricane 33g last year new. My advice, try test drive with the family the class c and then try the smaller class A.You'll find and fell the difference. That's my opinion and my experience. Happy RVing and good luck.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #13

When I was shopping for a C (only last week), I was considering a 29MV also. Although the dealer didn't have that particular model in stock for me to check personally, the specs state there is only 34 cu.ft. of exterior storage. That's not nearly enough for me, so I crossed the 29MV off my list. Is that enough exterior storage for you? By the way, I ended up ordering a Sunseeker 3010DS.
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #14

I'm coming from a Hybrid that has absolutely no storage save a small box on the side for chocks and what not. 34cu feet would be huge to me, also noting it might actually be a USEFUL size seeing as how most of it would be rear of the likely already taxed rear axle.

I'm positive the 29MV would be north of 2000 pounds of CCC, but the one I'm thinking about has the Bigfoot levelers installed. Those are supposed to add roughly 500 pounds of weight.

Tags
29mv, ccc, class c, greyhawk, jayco