Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Yes most do drive 100 in Canada on 4 lane Highways especially because this is the speed limit for the most part. But that is 100km/hr which is about 62 Mph.

100Mph is about 161 km/h. I have never witnesed anyone going this speed in Canada, but one can be assured the police would remove that driver from the roads for a very long time if they were caught. This speed warrants a carless or dangerous driving charge, license suspension, heavy fines as a best case for the perp.

I was driving on I-10 in Texas a few years ago and I was in my RV sweetspot @62 mph and cars went by me like I was standing still.

I slow down to maybe 55mph, or less, in adverse weather or as road/traffic conditions dictate but I usually set the cruise @ 62 on Interstate Hwy's and seldom exceed that or any posted speed limit with my RV.

Actually I liked the double nickel speed limit days. Much more relaxing in my view and fuel and lives were saved according to the stats.

Was a passenger in a car on the autobaun in Germany and we were clipping along at 195km/hr. I was not comfortable to say the least but my friend was not breaking the law. He said he could go over 200 but I said please not on my account and I was uncomfortable at the speed we were going. We slowed down to about 160.

Libero is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
63 mph, set the cruise . . . . and go.

Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I got my RV I used to get very frustrated by 'those RV'ers' going below the speed limit. So now that I am one, I try to go the speed limit and stay in the right lane to be considerate to others.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
My ultimate cruising speed is 58 to 60. Best on performance and mileage. I'm in no hurry and this way I can enjoy the scenic views.
Couldn't have said it better. We especially enjoy the view

It does get a little dicey in Montana with the "race track" speed limit. The truckers no doubt have some unkind words for us

As with Libero, we too liked the 55 mph limit of the 70s. The driving was much more peaceful.
Flyer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Travel Speed

I set cruise control at 63 - 65 mph. I do find that at times there are people traveling slower and if I choose to pass I wait for break in traffic and will pass asap even if it means speeding up to 70 - 75. I then move back into right lane and slow back to cruising speed.

I always try to stay out of the way and not hold up traffic BUT the safety of myself and others comes first.
stormrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will figure out "your" speed soon enough.
Be safe and enjoy. The trip is part of the adventure.
Keith & Debbie
2001 MACA, 8.1L workhorse (8/12)
2008 Hyundai Elantra (FROG)
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I think folks up in Canada drive much faster. I have personally witnesses them going 100, while back in the states I would never consider going over 62.

Just thought I'd tell ya- I got the gag!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA you have to follow the truck speed if towing anything OR the GVWR of your vehicle is 10,000#'s or more. That's usually 60 mph on the freeways and I usually try to stick close to that. Naturally we can go faster but it's less stressful and better fuel mileage too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
I find that I am most comfortable between 55 and 60. Even when I had the class C with a Ford big block engine I still kept it under 65mph. Comfort is one reason, cross winds also are easier to handle at lower speeds, and then there is the gas mileage. Speed just eats up fuel. Typically, with my current motorhome and even with a previous motorhome with a 454 engine I can get a max of 8mpg and a nice flat road at the sweet spot of between 55 and 60mph. Problem is out here in the West there are few nice flat roads. So I find I average just over 6mpg and plan on that when planning out the trip. I have in the past pushed the speed...a few years ago on a trip to Las Vegas I wanted to get in earlier so I pushed it up to 75 mph. With an 80 gallion fuel tank I had to stop at State Line for gas...didn't make it 281 miles. I'll stick to 55 yo 60 mph and wave as people pass.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
I have found that driving my 31 ft class c at 58 to 60 mph . I have a V10 Ford and get the best mileage at this speed not using cruise control. My foot can anticipate traffic and hill better than the cruise.
2003coachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
58-60 on the Interstates. Slower on the two lane roads (posted MPH limit).
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I have found relaxing and real cost saving when driving at 55 mph, but it is almost impossible to do in Canada , everybody drive 65 or more :(
Mike, Martina and Maya our yellow Lab
2013 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29,5 ft 5thWeel, 2010 Ram HEMI 1500
ROMANICHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've found that our fuel mileage and handling is best between 58-62 mph. When we first got our RV, I spent time trying to keep up with traffic - including stints up to 70 mph, but didn't like the driving characteristics at that speed.
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My self-imposed limit is 65 mph based on a sane speed to run down the road with 24000# of truck and trailer. Over 65 and I am over the engines peak power, and fuel economy starts to drop like a rock.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote