Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just how fast do you travel?

Here I go again with another Class C newbe question. I just might buy one soon. How fast do you travel? In Florida on the interstates the speed limit is 70mph. Do you go 70 or do you have a self imposed, That is as fast as I am going to go limit?
I understand you will or should go slower in windy conditions, rain, snow (whatever that is) tornadoes, hurricanes, and female prisoners along the road.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Dave View Post
Here I go again with another Class C newbe question. I just might buy one soon. How fast do you travel? In Florida on the interstates the speed limit is 70mph. Do you go 70 or do you have a self imposed, That is as fast as I am going to go limit?
I understand you will or should go slower in windy conditions, rain, snow (whatever that is) tornadoes, hurricanes, and female prisoners along the road.
My limit is 65 and that is imposed by Honda on the CR-V that I tow.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I gotten use to driving my at 65 on divided hiways or what you guys call interstates.
I find that mine runs well at that speed.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

We try to keep our between 60 and 65. Much faster and it can get squirrelly fast. This is also our most fuel efficient speed (not that fuel efficiency and motorhomes go together).
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I travel 55mph max on good two lane roads and 65 max on good, straight interstates weather permitting. If weather is too bad, I find a large parking lot and wait it out. Normally, I travel about 62-64mph.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on if I am towing. In the west we have some states with maximum towing speeds which I follow. Otherwise I tow a cr-v so I stay below 65. Frankly I have become accostomed to 60 mph as a general rule.

However we are all in differing situations. I am retired and do not give a frig if I take a day, week, or month getting where I am going.

But if I were younger, had a small family, traveled weekends and vacations against a clock I am sure I would drive faster longer.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

My tow says no faster than 65. Otherwise, I go the limit in my coach, unlike how fast I drive in my car.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

My first RV was a new 1977 23 ft Midas Mini class C. I started out driving it like a car, and got around 6 MPG on a cross-country trip. I also got a speeding ticket with it for going considerably over the Interstate highway speed limit. I found significant gains in mileage by slowing down, and practice this with the current, 4th, motorhome. I drive 60 -62 MPH, stay in the right lane, and watch my mirrors a lot. If it's obvious I'm creating a hazard, I increase speed to better flow with the traffic. Interestingly, this means that I drive faster near cities than in the country.

Some states post lower speed limits for trucks, and sometime include motorhomes. When the car limit is 70, and you see the trucks staying at whatever the lower limit is, you can be sure you are in a high enforcement area.

Quote:
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

I do about 65. It's nuff. Enjoying the scenery is great!
I often see that those that had passed me are just ahead in the next slow-down zone.
Speed is still not a skill, ya know? I can afford the extra 40 minutes or so each day.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

My ultimate cruising speed is 58 to 60. Best on performance and mileage. I'm in no hurry and this way I can enjoy the scenic views.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I drive 55 outside the cities and try to stay up with traffic in high density areas which I also try to avoid during rush hour traffic that is not easy to do. This increases my mpg from 8.5 to as much as 10 mpg. I am retired and I'm in no hurry to go anywhere. Using cruise control and lower speed especially in the West. I get where I'm going about an hour later than someone else, but save money, used less fuel and I'm less stressed. I leave early on travel days to avoid the rush if possible. City driving makes me anxious so I try to avoid it. As the saying goes YMMV :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well thanks again gang.
It's kinda what I figured. I'm just getting ideas. I am retired also, live in Florida.

In Florida the rule of thumb is to get into the left lane and drive slow. Now that I am retired and from Florida I can go up North get in the left lane and drive slow. Muhahahahaahh.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
I can go up North get in the left lane and drive slow. Muhahahahaahh.
That is how everyone from NY state is taught to drive. No matter what road I am on there is always someone with a New York plate going slow in the left lane. They never read the 30' tall signs that say - Keep Right Except To Pass.

Drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with. The truckers will quickly let you know if that is too slow.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think folks up in Canada drive much faster. I have personally witnesses them going 100, while back in the states I would never consider going over 62.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel