Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hopefully once you get ready to drill there might be at least one hole for each jack in the correct position to bolt the jack in place to use as a template for the addition holes, if not make a template out of card board to position on the frame to center punch where you want the holes.

If you want to go extravagant are there any tool rental places near you that you could rent a magnetic based drill press? You'd be surprised how much easier it would be to drill the holes with the coach body already mounted.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Hopefully once you get ready to drill there might be at least one hole for each jack in the correct position to bolt the jack in place to use as a template for the addition holes, if not make a template out of card board to position on the frame to center punch where you want the holes.

If you want to go extravagant are there any tool rental places near you that you could rent a magnetic based drill press? You'd be surprised how much easier it would be to drill the holes with the coach body already mounted.
I will look into the magnetic drill press. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #17

Usually there mounting brackets. Are made to fit the frame. So there should be little OT no drilling to do.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
Usually there mounting brackets. Are made to fit the frame. So there should be little OT no drilling to do.
I somehow don't think I would find myself being that lucky
See My RV Upgrades
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
They did send mounting brackets with the jacks, but they need to be welded to the frame. After looking at the space I have available, I think I'm going to have to break down and let a shop weld these things on for me.

Unfortunately, there are no brackets or pre-drilled holes to mount these jacks, even though Bigfoot is the brand of jacks Forest River uses if you order that option on the coach.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find it very odd they want the brackets welded to the frame as that is generally a NO-NO even on big over the road semi trucks and construction equipment.

I'm going to see if I can pull up their installation instructions.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I find it very odd they want the brackets welded to the frame as that is generally a NO-NO even on big over the road semi trucks and construction equipment.

I'm going to see if I can pull up their installation instructions.
Step one of their instruction sheet that came with the jacks:

"The cylinders can be bolted to the frame using the bolts that came wuth the system, or they can be bolted to a weld on bracket that came with the system."
Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to a few Ford sites to check about welding of frames and it seems more like it's OK using electric not gas and really did not find anything authoritative about not doing it. See you learn something new everyday.

I extended the frame 13' when I built this truck and the initial rail was welded in place with a second frame 17' bolted in place around it.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #23

So go with the bolt on method than. This way if one goes bad. You can remove and sent in for repairs and still use the other 3 jacks. As each has it's own oil reservoir.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be careful with welding, there are so many electronic systems involved and you risk damaging them with the current the welders put out. Some companies recommend disconnecting all grounds which can be a headache. If you can bolt the unit then go for that over welding. At least disconnect the batteries and the ecm ... Maybe even ground the chassis.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #25

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well after making several phone calls, I was unable to find anyone willing to even just weld the plates on for me. Not even Camping World.

I started bolting them on. Because of lousy, rainy cold weather here in Myrtle Beach, I have only got the back 2 jacks on. Except for the lack of space in which to drill, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I have a 7 amp hammer drill (used in roray mode) A 90 degree offset chuck, and a titanium step drill bit. I drill a pilot whole to start, and with this big drill, the step drill goes right threough the solid steel frame.

I hope to continue with the front 2 jacks and maybe even post some pictures, but it will have to wait until I get a break in this weather. Thanks to all who have posted with helpful information.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you, I as I'm sure others look forward to seeing the pictures.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #27

Any updates on your project? We have this system ordered for our new rv and would like to hear your opinion on the system and if you have any pictures???
Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Any updates on your project? We have this system ordered for our new rv and would like to hear your opinion on the system and if you have any pictures???
Yes! I got the jacks installed, and they are working fine. You said you ordered the system for your new RV. I assume since your RV is new, they are being installed for you. I like the system. I like the fact that they are power down and power up. They don't rely on springs to pull the jacks back up. So far, so good.

I do have some pictures, but I want to take some more. I should be able to get those posted this weekend. I will say that this is a big project to attempt to do in a driveway, or as I did part of mine, a campsite. I know a few RV'ers who have a garage and a pit for working on their RV. This would have made things much easier.

I'm sure it will be worth all the work and minor injuries once I am able to use these jacks for a while. Now I'm no mechanical expert, but I have installed x-ray equipment for over 30 years. Unless you have a lot of experience with this type of work, I generally would recommend finding someone qualified to do the installation. But as far as the the performance of the jacks themselves, so far I'm very happy. I would say you will enjoy yours also.