Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #15

30% depreciation on $100k is still four times as much as 30% on $25k. You could replace the engine and depreciate $25k in one year for far less than the depreciation on $100k.

What model year, motor and how many miles are on this unit anyways?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #16

Smile Year Model and Miles

Hi!
It is a 2004 Class C, Winnebago Minnie, C31, (31 ft), one full side slide, (Couch and dinette), bunk over cab, with a Ford V10 and 48,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #17

Smile If Not New ...but Newer year upgrade..would you?

It looks like everyone who did answer the question, (thank you!), would not upgrade to a NEW camper. If you had a 2004 would you want to upgrade to say ...a 2009? Or, if you liked your motorhome, (2004), would you stay with it until it wasn't driveable anymore?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixkids View Post
It looks like everyone who did answer the question, (thank you!), would not upgrade to a NEW camper. If you had a 2004 would you want to upgrade to say ...a 2009? Or, if you liked your motorhome, (2004), would you stay with it until it wasn't driveable anymore?
If I had a 2004 and had the itch to make payments, I would go all the way and get a 2012 or 2013. It would not be a class C, class A all the way. 34' highline gasser or a 36' lower line DP. But if I had six kids like your username says, I would keep what I have and add the money to my already healthy college fund. Now if the kids are actually pets go with plan A.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
when folks say its not about the money IT,S ABOUT THE MONEY
my attitude is when i die the govt and my kids get the money
neither one handles it well
lets see last 5 years 2 brand spanking new MH,4 new cars,2nd home and inflation
at the rate we are spending it the kids and goernment aint gonna have a lot to fight about
brianj
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #20

Indeed our "sixkids" are of the human kind! :0) Our eldest 4 are married with nice families of their own, and our youngest two, ages 16 and 18 are still living with us. Our 18 year old just graduated high school and is attending our local University, as is our 11th grader, (Dual enrollment high school/college). No, I am not eager to just 'spend' money, nor to pick up on another loan. I DO enjoy this 2004 motorhome more than the 'newer' 2008 - 2012 floor plans. I just didn't want to wake up in a year or so and have the thought ...Gee.. If I had only listened and given up the 2004 BEFORE it totally died it would have been worth a lot more, and in the long run I would have SAVED a bunch!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #21

i would keep it , a new motor and trans would be less then a years payments
there is nothing on the chassis that can't be replaced/rebuild.
you can up grade the interior as things wear out.
we bought a 1985 class c and aren't worried about the year at all just spend a little money and time on it and have a paid for mh leaving more money to spend on using it
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like you put 7,000 miles per year on it. At that rate you should be good for at least seven years of eng/trans life. AT LEAST.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is a 2004 and paid off.

We'll keep it forever or until something happens to it. Because of no payments we can afford to travel more.

We've put some money into it for slideout tops and few other normal wear and tear items but overall it's a heck of a lot less than a new coach payment every month.

We're at about 60,000 miles and I expect it will continue to run strong.

A new rig for us would mean fewer trips.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #24

48000 miles really isn't very much. You haven't even changed the changed the sparkplugs yet, have you?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #25

Smile Thank You!

We have eargerly been reading all of the posts and welcome each and every one. It sounds like we will be keeping our current, paid for, 2004 31C Winnebago!! This forum is GREAT! I am so appreciative of all of your comments. I was unsure if keeping it was the right step to take until we read your comments. It makes a lot of sense to keep our 2004 and upgrade and re-place as needed. As I have said, I fell in LOVE with this camper and haven't seen one since with which I instantly fell in love.
I have continually said that I wouldn't take one that didn't instantly 'grab' me when I walked into it. And after a summer of searching, I still didn't find any other than the one that we currently own! :0)...
So I guess I will just walk out into my own back yard, (or front yard!), and say.... Welcome Home Family .... Welcome Home! And a BIG Thank You to those who have posted and those who will be posting their thoughts.
If any of you have an ideas for upgrading our string-broken day/night shades, a couple roof vents, and a new-er bed/couch, we would really appreciate hearing from you! Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Sixkids,
You could have our old MH Never backed into anything though. We traded our '04 Minnie and bought another '04 class A a couple of years ago. Sounds like the same setup. Big slide, bunk over the cab V10. Would have kept it but we were looking at retirement and spending the entire winter in it. We looked at a lot of class A's but kept going back to Winnebago for the same reason you love yours, good quality. Rather than move up a few years we went with another '04 to keep the price in a range we could live with. The Minnie was paid for and the Vectra is also now. There is a lot to be said with not having payments. Take the loan payment amount and invest it in all the little problems if you still like the Minnie. Once they are fixed, unlike a loan the payments stop.

There were goods and bads to trading up for us. Good was more room, bigger fridge, bigger shower, better ride, better fuel consumption per pound with the diesel (mileage about the same but more than twice GVW) and lots of toys like a dishwasher. There is a lot more seating which is really nice. It was a battle to find a comfortable spot to watch TV on a rainy day. The drivers seat is also way more comfortable compared to the van chassis with the "dog house" stuck into your right leg. Some of the bads are 9' more to find a spot for, big fridge was a dud and since replaced with a household unit, underneath A/C can just barely do the job when the on top the Minnie had was fine. Also stepping up to diesel makes everything more expensive. The V10 oil change I could do myself for under $30 jumped up to $100 since the filter is $25 and 6 quarts of oil went to 25.

If we were still camping 4 weeks a year I think we would still have the class C. The only problems we ever had were the generator needed a circuit board replaced under warranty and the power steering developed a leak, around a $100 fix. So if it was me I think I would fix up the leaks, throw some fish in the bowl and maybe get a couple of MaxxAir vent covers for the vents that open up. Then take the money you save and use it for fuel.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #27

Our unit came from a dealer, (Ferrero Ford), in Northeast, PA. in 2008. They told us it was a unit owned by a Dr. in Erie, Pa, and was a one owner. If this was yours, I have a pair of socks that belongs to you that was found behind the bottom drawer under the single closet! My husband was thinking of trading to a diesel instead of gas, IF I would still be entertaining the idea of trading! If you had stayed with a Class C would you have opted for gas or diesel?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The other good thing about keeping it is the fact you know where all the problems are/were. Another rig, either new or used, is a crap shoot.
Better a devil you know than one you don't know.